Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Occam's Razor
Posted 2007-07-22, 10:49 AM
Occam’s Razor, sometimes referred to as the theory of theories, is a rather simple principle. The principle is the basis for the scientific method. It is a principle so deeply embedded in human thought that one has to wonder why a formal term for it exists. What is even more perplexing is why so many people try and rebel against this principle, why so many people run from it like they would from a harbinger, why so many people choose not to follow common sense.

Essentially, Occam’s Razor states that all things being equal, the simplest explanation that makes the least assumptions is the best one. It is important to remember the condition when the razor applies: when all things are equal.

For any phenomenon there are an infinite number of absurd explanations. For instance, I could assume that when I stop supporting my basketball two and a half invisible beings extend from the laces of my sneakers, grab the basketball, and guide it towards the ground. I could also assume that instead of two and a half invisible beings guiding my basketball to the ground, a gravitational field guides my basketball towards the ground. Both theories explain the phenomenon of the basketball dropping. Which theory is better? Obviously the one involving the gravitational field. Why? The gravitational field around a massive object such as the earth has been empirically verified. My sneaker theory makes the assumption that invisible beings reside in the laces of my shoes, which makes the assumption that there is a living being capable of being invisible, which makes the assumption that pure invisibility is possible, ad infinitum. I suppose the sneaker theory would be difficult to disprove entirely, however I hope I would be labeled a lunatic if I ever seriously tried to advocate that theory.

Our lives are irrevocably governed by science regardless of whether or not you choose to accept it. My previous statement has dual meanings. One is the obvious: we’re surrounded by natural phenomenon which can best be explained by science. I don’t really want to get into that in this post. It would simply turn into another post about religion. The other meaning is that the majority of our decisions are made rationally; scientifically. We judge the scenario presented to us and come to a simple, objective conclusion. Sadly, it seems that we are hopelessly delusional when it comes to things that are important to us.

For instance, most parents can not seem to find any flaws in their child. It does not matter if the child is a spawn of Satan, to the parents he is a sweet tender child. “Brian, can you please help me around the house?” “FUCK YOU MOM!” “Tsk…isn’t he just the sweetest child.” Perhaps I’m extending the hyperbole a little too far, however there are realistic situations not too far from the one I described. If parents would just look at their child objectively rather than thinking he’s God’s gift to the world the child can get help before he become the next Jeff Dahmer. A scenario that I’ve noticed frequently is the teacher vs parent. The teacher has a conference with the parents constructively criticizing the child, and the parents become extraordinarily defensive about their child insisting that he could do no wrong. Instead, if the parents were objective they may be able to help the child with his academic problems.

The previous examples deal more with objectivity than Occam’s Razor directly. However objectivity is the very basis of the razor. Occam’s Razor is implicitly used when arriving at the correct conclusion in both scenarios above. Both conclusions require you to rid yourself of the extra assumptions which are not supported by the evidence.

Another scenario where people often lose perspective is whenever they are with the opposite sex. If a girl seriously turns you down, she’s most likely not playing hard to get. She said no. All things being equal, that is the conclusion that makes the least assumptions, and that will be the correct one more often than not. To assume she’s playing hard to get you have to assume that she’s physically attracted to you, that she’s a good enough actor to pull of such an act, etc. Of course if you have evidence to the contrary then all things are not equal i.e. she has a history of playing hard to get.

These are not the best examples, but situations arise all the time when you need to make an objective conclusion. If people applied Occam’s Razor to all areas where an objective conclusion was desirable they would be far more successful. I am by no means suggesting that Occam’s Razor should be applied everywhere. For instance, it is irrelevant when it is a question of ethics. However it would be nice if more people got in the habit of applying this principle when coming to an objective conclusion.

Last edited by Demosthenes; 2007-07-22 at 10:52 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes