Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Apple iPhone
Posted 2007-01-12, 08:52 AM
I assume you've all heard of the iPhone that Apple debuted at MacWorld a few days ago?

And I assume that you've heard of Cisco's lawsuit against Apple, which they filed in the past day or so, because Apple have used the name iPhone, which Cisco currently owns.

If not, here are links to both:

Apple iPhone
Cisco Sues Apple

-----

And here is a detailed look at the iPhone.

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=21451

It's quite amazing. I've seen mobile phones that will change the screen from landscape to portrait if you rotate it, but nothing like the iPhone.

The software it uses looks beautiful, and the phone itself is a sleek little number.

One of the problems I can see, though, is how will you protect the touchscreen and stop it playing with itself if it's in your pocket and rubbing on the lining? Apple haven't said anything about a Lock feature - whether just for the on-screen key- and numberpads, or for the touchscreen as a whole.

Also the phone isn't 3G, and you need to have it on a 2-year Cingular contract if you want to use it.

EDIT: Oh, and there's an interesting piece of information. It comes in two varieties - the 4gb version and the 8gb version.

The best part being... ? The 8gb version costs $599 - exactly the same as a 60gb PS3.

Last edited by Lenny; 2007-01-12 at 09:01 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-01-12, 10:42 AM in reply to Lenny's post "Apple iPhone"
If they're using capactive sensing, it needs to be in contact with a ground source, which means not your clothes, unless you're one of those freaks in the tin-foil suit. If they do it with RF, it can be tuned even more. In any case, I'm sure they have a lock switch someplace.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2007-01-12, 07:41 PM in reply to Lenny's post "Apple iPhone"
Yeah. My past 2 phones were free...

Not going to EVER pay that much for a phone.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2007-01-14, 11:47 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Yeah. My past 2 phones were free... ..."
That is why we all need rich sugar mamas.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-01-15, 06:09 AM in reply to Lenny's post "Apple iPhone"
pointless phone really... i mean, its a phone. if cingular had great media/text packages like unlimited and what not. i'd probly invest in a later version of the iPhone
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Acer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAcer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Acer

Posted 2007-01-15, 02:21 PM in reply to Acer's post starting "pointless phone really... i mean, its a..."
My LG VX8100 does all I need. Seriously, I don't need and don't see why people need a phone that does that much.

Seriously, all I use my phone for is calls and music. A name change should come into effect. These devices do way to much to be catogorized as a phone. Portable entertainment device or something liek that is more like it.

$500 for that is not worth it one bit, I would save that money and upgrade some of my PC or a console. I just dont see people using everything that phone has to offer.

It's going to be more of a, "look what I have" bragging type of device over anything else.

I read an article posted on another forum that the name "iPhone" was already copyrighted, but I can't find it now and I can not remember the details of what happened.

~ KAMAHAME---Oh shit it's happening again.... ~
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzTyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Tyrannicide

Posted 2007-01-15, 02:30 PM in reply to Tyrannicide's post starting "My LG VX8100 does all I need...."
it is. And I've linked to it at the start of my first post.

Basically Cisco have had it since 2000 (the company they took over registered it in 1996). Apple have been interested in it since 2001, and have attempted to buy it 3 times.

Before Macworld Cisco and Apple were in talks that could have ended in both companies using the name in some kind of co-operation. But Apple announced the iPhone before the talks were complete, Cisco got angry, and filed a lawsuit.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-01-15, 07:29 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "it is. And I've linked to it at the..."
Yea, I thoguht it was resolved though, so I guess I was wrong.

Are Apple morons? iTalk?

lol...

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzTyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Tyrannicide

Posted 2007-01-16, 04:16 AM in reply to Tyrannicide's post starting "Yea, I thoguht it was resolved though,..."
or iBeforeEexceptafterC
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Acer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAcer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Acer

Posted 2007-01-16, 09:04 AM in reply to Acer's post starting "or iBeforeEexceptafterC"
lol Acer. Really nice, really.

God, I think you should wait a few generations before picking thsi style of phone up. Let them work out all the kinks, maybe more storage, or bring the price down to somehting reasonable.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Tyrannicide

Posted 2007-01-18, 03:08 PM in reply to Tyrannicide's post starting "lol Acer. Really nice, really. God,..."
Bring the price to something reasonable? Potential buyers everywhere will be frothing at the mouth when they see this: http://uk.media.gear.ign.com/article...g_4187761.html

$599 for the 8gb model?

It only costs $280 to manufacture.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny