Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Stolen Identity (Aim + other stuff)
Posted 2006-12-21, 05:16 PM
My girlfriend thinks she may be a victim of identity theft. She has dial-up at home, so she decided to use someone else's wireless. This morning she found out her password to her school account and aim were changed. She also bought some things over the internet, so she thinks this guy may have her credit card numbers. My guess is that whoever's network this is is the guy who stole her shit. My question is, would it be overly difficult to connect to his network, sniff it, and see if I can recover it using Etehreal or something like that? Are Aim passwords encrypted when sent over the network?

Also, anyway ideas for revenge?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2006-12-21, 05:19 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Stolen Identity (Aim + other stuff)"
So let me get this straight, she used someone elses wireless and she lost her passwords and shit. Well no shit. What the hell was she using someone elses wireless for, and what was she expecting to happen because of it?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2006-12-21, 05:23 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "So let me get this straight, she used..."
!King_Amazon! said:
So let me get this straight, she used someone elses wireless and she lost her passwords and shit. Well no shit. What the hell was she using someone elses wireless for, and what was she expecting to happen because of it?
I agree, it's not generally the smartest thing to do, but that doesn't give him the right to compromise her accounts like that. If anything, he needs to encrypt his network. Either way, I'd like to help her get her stuff back. And perhaps change the asshole's router password or something after setting encryption on it so he can't use his own router.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2006-12-21, 06:54 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I agree, it's not generally the..."
1. I doubt someone with an unencrypted network has the know-how to do something like that. It probably happened somewhere else, such as school.

2. Why does your girlfriend have "credit card numbers"? Aren't you guys 14?

3. A Singapore teenager is facing three years in jail and military service for using a neighbors Wi-Fi network. http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36499

Last edited by GravitonSurge; 2006-12-21 at 06:57 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2006-12-21, 07:25 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "1. I doubt someone with an unencrypted..."
GravitonSurge said:
1. I doubt someone with an unencrypted network has the know-how to do something like that. It probably happened somewhere else, such as school.

2. Why does your girlfriend have "credit card numbers"? Aren't you guys 14?

3. A Singapore teenager is facing three years in jail and military service for using a neighbors Wi-Fi network. http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36499
1.) It might be apathy. My network was unencrypted for quite a while, though from what Mantra told me Aim passwords are Md5 encrypted, so I doubt whoever this was he got her password from her Aim account. I guess she uses the same password for aim as she does for other things.

2.) She's 2 and a half years older than me. She's in college. However, I do have a credit card...

3.) That's nice.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2006-12-21, 07:38 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "1. I doubt someone with an unencrypted..."
I know a person with an open router and a redirect for unauthorized MAC addresses to a page of viruses. Just because someone doesn't secure their network doesn't mean they don't know how. If this person is in a place where they are likely to get a lot of random connections, they very well may have a sniffer and data miner because they derive pleasure from causing others pain. On the other hand, if the network was in the middle of nowhere and there were lots of secure networks in the area, I doubt even the most depraved would go to the trouble.

As far as Singapore goes, there, you can get cained for spitting your gum out on the ground; I wouldn't use them as a judge of sane judiciary process.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2006-12-21, 08:17 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "I know a person with an open router and..."
mjordan2nd said:
2.) She's 2 and a half years older than me. She's in college. However, I do have a credit card...
Well, that's a little creepy unexpected.

WetWired said:
If this person is in a place where they are likely to get a lot of random connections, they very well may have a sniffer and data miner because they derive pleasure from causing others pain.

As far as Singapore goes, there, you can get cained for spitting your gum out on the ground; I wouldn't use them as a judge of sane judiciary process.
Are you one of those people?

Anyway, linking to the article was a joke.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2006-12-21, 11:53 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "I know a person with an open router and..."
WetWired said:
they very well may have a sniffer and data miner because they derive pleasure from causing others pain.
IMO if someone is using someone elses wireless connection without permission and the owner of the wireless connection does something malicious, the person using the wireless connection without permission deserves it.

It kind of reminds me of the stories you hear about a burglar breaking into someone's house, hurting himself by tripping on something or what have you, and then suing the owners of the house for his injury. Pretty damn stupid.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2006-12-22, 12:04 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "IMO if someone is using someone elses..."
So if I walk across your lawn I deserve to get shot?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2006-12-22, 12:06 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "So if I walk across your lawn I deserve..."
That's a pretty silly analogy.

More like, if you come in my house without permission, whether I've got my door locked or not, you deserve anything that happens to you because of it. It's you're own damn fault for coming in.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2006-12-22, 12:08 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "That's a pretty silly analogy. More..."
If I walk into your house you should be able to mug me for my wallet (identity theft)?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2006-12-22, 07:11 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "That's a pretty silly analogy. More..."
We're still getting prosecuted for shooting burglars in the face.

But we can blow giant holes into the rest of their bodies, so it doesn't matter much.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-12-22, 07:28 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "IMO if someone is using someone elses..."
Hmm, I'm using my neighbor's wireless connection I believe. It's somebody on my block, that's for sure. I have no idea how I can just connect to it without any problems. It's sweet not paying for internet though.

So this leaves me vulnerable for anything he/she may try to do?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2006-12-22, 08:23 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Hmm, I'm using my neighbor's wireless..."
Thanatos said:
So this leaves me vulnerable for anything he/she may try to do?
Yes, very.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2006-12-22, 08:27 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "If I walk into your house you should be..."
GravitonSurge said:
If I walk into your house you should be able to mug me for my wallet (identity theft)?
No, but the internet is slightly different from real life events. They can be compared in some instances, but in that one, no, they aren't the same.

Identity theft is a huge thing online, and using someone elses wireless connection is asking for your shit to be messed with.

A better comparison would be you coming into my house uninvited, giving me your wallet, and then expecting me not to steal your identity.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2006-12-22, 10:31 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "No, but the internet is slightly..."
I don't see how this works. Ok, so if I enter my credit card number online to buy things, this person can find out what it is?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2006-12-22, 01:15 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "If I walk into your house you should be..."
What would happen if someone broke into your house, and put a gun to your head, but you mugged them, and locked them out?

I know its a very childish question, but I'm just wondering.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dar_Win enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzDar_Win enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Dar_Win

Posted 2006-12-22, 06:06 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "I don't see how this works. Ok, so if I..."
Well, the site should be using SSL if they handle credit card info, but with enough computing power and free time, sure, why not? More likely, it starts with using an unsecure service like webmail. From there, they can reset your paypal password and find out your bank account number and so forth.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2006-12-23, 09:56 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "If I walk into your house you should be..."
GravitonSurge said:
I don't suppose so, but hey that doesn't mean my super sonic atomic pet badger won't. :D I call him muffin.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dubby is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDubby is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Dubby