Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Science and Technology News

Self-Awareness in Robots
Posted 2010-07-20, 01:55 AM
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/5...wlc=1279612119

I stumbled across this a while ago, and it doesn't appear to be here, so... I am thoroughly stoked on this idea. This kinda makes the robot like a baby. Add a few more sensors to collect data about the surrounding world (via camera, pressure, microphone) and you've got a human almost.
R.I.P
Pontiac
Jan. 1926 - Dec. 2010 est.

Check the Gallery and Scrapbook often!
[deviantArt Account!]

Spy Hard
Agent WD-40:
Quote:
Well, you carry a UB-21 Schnauzer with an OPS Silencer, that's KGB, You prefer an 18-K over an AK, Your surveillance technique is NSA, Your ID is CIA, you recieved your PHD at NYU, traded in your GTO for a BMW, you listen to CD's by REM and STP, and you'd like to see JFK in his BVDs getting down with OPP and you probably put the toilet paper back on the roll with the paper on the inside...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Draco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Draco2003

Posted 2010-07-20, 06:40 AM in reply to Draco2003's post "Self-Awareness in Robots"
As I was leaving work to go to lunch on Friday, this old guy walked in and started asking questions about some of our technologies. He said he was working on some project with university students to give robots senses like smell, taste, etc (he was curious if we had any sensors for smell sense we used to make/develop oxygen sensors and such.) He also said they were working on self-replicating robots. Pretty cool shit IMO.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2010-07-20, 08:57 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "As I was leaving work to go to lunch on..."
All of those sci-fi movies predicting the rise of robots and the overthrow of man all begin like this.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2010-07-20, 09:05 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "All of those sci-fi movies predicting..."
One of my co-workers told the guy "Robots are going to take over the world one day" and the guy responded "That's the point."
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2010-07-20, 09:27 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "One of my co-workers told the guy..."
It's inevitable at this point, so there is no use in worrying about it. We already rely solely on 'robots' or computers if you think about it. Without electricity this planet would shutdown in a matter of days.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2010-07-20, 09:45 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "It's inevitable at this point, so there..."
Before long, we're not going to have much choice. Technology is getting so advanced that there will be (if there already aren't) things that a single person really can't fully understand in a lifetime. People also seem to be getting exponentially more lazy, and we'll likely use robots and computers for any convenience we can. I don't really see a problem with it either. I don't think there's any reason to expect a Terminator/iRobot sort of thing to happen.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2010-07-20, 10:41 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Before long, we're not going to have..."
It's already begun. Cars that can parallell park themselves are already relevant, they will soon be driving themselves as there are numerous manufacturers that have already put out several successful concetps. Money has already made the jump to the robot side as paper money is becoming less and less relevant, and debit/credit trasnactions through plastic straight into the grid is what's now the norm; Hell, apple doesn't even accept cash? I mean look back 20 years, and we've come a very long way and it's only a short amount of time before things make another leap into the future.

Everything is becoming automated. The problem with robots becoming exponentially more relevant and aware of their surroundings, and us becoming exponentially less relevant and lazy is that somewhere in that timeline, something could occur to alter the scale away from humans being useful on this planet. The whole doomsday plot of this wouldn't happen in our lifetimes. Maybe we can use robots to become immortal? Transfering a brain to a robot shell would be fun to think about for the future.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-07-20, 12:10 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "All of those sci-fi movies predicting..."
There will be one good robot, and Will Smith will save us. I already watched this movie.

Seriously though, this is pretty cool. So, they gather data and think off of that, basically? Or, that's what it'll end up like, when it's all said and done, yeah?
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2010-07-20, 02:20 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "There will be one good robot, and Will..."
They don't gather data at all as far as I know, they come pre-programmed with it. The scientists purpose is try to create a program that teaches them to learn, and acquire data that they can readily use.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-07-22, 05:29 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "It's already begun. Cars that can..."
D3V said: [Goto]
The whole doomsday plot of this wouldn't happen in our lifetimes.
I'm not so sure. Consider how technology has in the past. From man to steam, steam to electricity. From math to computer and computer to robot. Soon, sooner than we can think, it'll be from man to machine. And what's higher than machine?

Absolutely nothing.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of mass

Wed-G

Posted 2010-07-22, 06:13 AM in reply to Wed-G's post starting "I'm not so sure. Consider how..."
Wed-G said: [Goto]
I'm not so sure. Consider how technology has in the past. From man to steam, steam to electricity. From math to computer and computer to robot. Soon, sooner than we can think, it'll be from man to machine. And what's higher than machine?

Absolutely nothing.
Only a simple minded fool would say that there's nothing higher than "machine." Honestly, there isn't even any real indication that we will fully go the way of machines. There are a lot of biological sorts of things being discovered, such as the recent "synthetic life" stuff. The only reason you could possibly thing that machines are "the end" would be that you're not creative enough to come up with what is next. I guarantee you that machines are not the end. Machines only mock life, in general. Life is, in general, more powerful than machines. Once we have the ability to create any sort of organism we want, we'll be able to augment our bodies with living organisms rather than just machines. Or hell, maybe we'll integrate the two technologies together and make machines that are augmented with living organisms (to prevent things like rust, corrosion, etc, and to repair things as necessary.) The possibilities are ENDLESS.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2010-07-23, 03:45 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Only a simple minded fool would say..."
Well, thanks for insulting me in one of my only posts in months. However, I was speaking of the doomsday plot, as quoted. Considering the scenario consists of the end of human life, if not all life, and machines being the end, would machines want to create or have the imagination to create something higher than themselves?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of mass

Wed-G

Posted 2010-07-23, 11:30 AM in reply to Wed-G's post starting "Well, thanks for insulting me in one of..."
I didn't read any posts, but isn't this really old news?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY__e391IRY
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2010-07-26, 02:36 PM in reply to Wed-G's post starting "Well, thanks for insulting me in one of..."
Wed-G said: [Goto]
Considering the scenario consists of the end of human life, if not all life, and machines being the end, would machines want to create or have the imagination to create something higher than themselves?
Well look at it this way. Consider that currently machines and/or computer are only a tiny fraction of mental capacity that the average human brain has. Let's say it exponentially multiplies and surpasses the human capabilities wouldn't it have eventually gone through similar processes and imaginative steps that took us thousands of years to create? It's a complex idea, but it honestly makes very logical sense.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-07-26, 10:48 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Well look at it this way. Consider that..."
Define what you consider to be a fraction of human capacity. Like, storage, computational speed? Problem solving?

And, of course it makes logical sense. But also, if life is weak and can be destroyed, why machines, say, invent artificial life that can also be destroyed?

I honestly think that, should the machine apocalypse be our end, I think it would result in a giant singularity that covers the face of the earth.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wed-G