Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Science and Technology News

Cymothoa exigua
Posted 2009-02-11, 06:49 PM

Quote:
This parasite attaches itself at the base of the spotted rose snapper's (Lutjanus guttatus) tongue, entering the fish's mouth through its gills. It then proceeds to extract blood through the claws on its front three pairs of legs. As the parasite grows, less and less blood reaches the tongue, and eventually the organ atrophies from lack of blood. The parasite then replaces the fish's tongue by attaching its own body to the muscles of the tongue stub. The fish is able to use the parasite just like a normal tongue. It appears that the parasite does not cause any other damage to the host fish.[1] Once C. exigua replaces the tongue, some feed on the host's blood and many others feed on fish mucus. They do not eat scraps of the fish's food.[2] This is the only known case of a parasite functionally replacing a host organ.

Last edited by WetWired; 2009-02-12 at 10:56 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2009-02-11, 07:42 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post "Cymothoa exigua"
That's interesting. I wonder if that parasite can do the same thing with humans.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2009-02-12, 06:19 AM in reply to Wallow's post starting "That's interesting. I wonder if that..."
Wallow said: [Goto]
That's interesting. I wonder if that parasite can do the same thing with humans.
Fuck that, and screw you for bringing the thought into my head.

GOD I HATE BUGS!!!

(obviously not a bug, but has the insect feeling... AHH!!!)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of mass

Wed-G

Posted 2009-02-12, 07:18 AM in reply to Wed-G's post starting "Fuck that, and screw you for bringing..."
Looks like some alien type shit.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-02-12, 10:28 AM in reply to -Spector-'s post "Cymothoa exigua"
Dude...I just ate...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusion

Jessifer

Posted 2009-02-12, 01:34 PM in reply to Jessifer's post starting "Dude...I just ate..."
Jessifer said: [Goto]
Dude...I just ate...
And I just came =P
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2009-02-12, 03:00 PM in reply to Wallow's post starting "And I just came =P"
Wait, I thought you were the one who swallows.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2009-02-12, 03:24 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Looks like some alien type shit. ..."
D3V said: [Goto]
Looks like some alien type shit.

It does remind me of Limulus polyphemus, which was used as inspiration for the "Facehugger" xenomorph.

"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by WetWired; 2009-02-12 at 10:57 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2009-02-12, 10:58 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post "Cymothoa exigua"
Heard this before. Never seen the disgusting picture.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2009-02-13, 08:34 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Heard this before. Never seen the..."
The picture creeps me out...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusion

Jessifer

Posted 2009-02-14, 10:23 AM in reply to Jessifer's post starting "The picture creeps me out..."
Are those pebbles underneath it granules of sand?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wallow

Posted 2009-02-14, 10:39 AM in reply to Wallow's post starting "Are those pebbles underneath it..."
I think that fish needs to see a dentist, pronto.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Jessifer

Posted 2009-02-19, 03:47 AM in reply to Jessifer's post starting "I think that fish needs to see a..."
I think A dentist deals with teeth...
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2009-02-19, 07:49 AM in reply to Asamin's post starting "I think A dentist deals with teeth..."
Such as those yellow blocky things at the top and bottom of the mouth?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2009-02-19, 10:54 AM in reply to Asamin's post starting "I think A dentist deals with teeth..."
That fish has teeth. Lots of fish have teeth.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Jessifer

Posted 2009-02-20, 12:38 AM in reply to -Spector-'s post "Cymothoa exigua"
Dude I am completely fucking creeped out by that thing. That is the stuff of nightmares.

KagomJack said:
My girth isn't anything to bitch and moan about in long, elaborate paragraphs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2009-02-20, 03:38 AM in reply to JRwakebord's post starting "Dude I am completely fucking creeped..."
/Agreed That thing scares the shit out of me and if I found it, I think I might shoot it.

Off topic- Holy shit! Lenny dropped under 100%!!
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2009-02-20, 12:30 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "/Agreed That thing scares the shit out..."
I don't know what I would do if I saw something like that.

Probably scream and throw up.

Off Topic - Lenny's been under 100% for quite a while now. Where have you been?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Jessifer

Posted 2009-02-21, 11:13 AM in reply to Jessifer's post starting "I don't know what I would do if I saw..."
Well then, to make the thought not so disgusting, just pretend it's Tonguey from Kung-Pow! YA-YAIIIIIII!
R.I.P
Pontiac
Jan. 1926 - Dec. 2010 est.

Check the Gallery and Scrapbook often!
[deviantArt Account!]

Spy Hard
Agent WD-40:
Quote:
Well, you carry a UB-21 Schnauzer with an OPS Silencer, that's KGB, You prefer an 18-K over an AK, Your surveillance technique is NSA, Your ID is CIA, you recieved your PHD at NYU, traded in your GTO for a BMW, you listen to CD's by REM and STP, and you'd like to see JFK in his BVDs getting down with OPP and you probably put the toilet paper back on the roll with the paper on the inside...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Draco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Draco2003

Posted 2009-02-22, 07:44 AM in reply to Draco2003's post starting "Well then, to make the thought not so..."
Draco2003 said: [Goto]
Well then, to make the thought not so disgusting, just pretend it's Tonguey from Kung-Pow! YA-YAIIIIIII!
Lol, that movie was so gay
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wallow