Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Science and Technology News

Shadow Analysis Could Spot Terrorists
Posted 2008-09-05, 07:51 PM
Hugh Pickens writes:

"An engineer at Jet Propulsion Labs says it should be possible to identify people from the way they walk — a technique called gait analysis, whose power lies in the fact that a person's walking style is very hard to disguise. Adrian Stoica has written software that recognizes human movement in aerial and satellite video footage by isolating moving shadows and using data on the time of day and the camera angle to correct shadows that are elongated or foreshortened. In tests on footage shot from the sixth floor of a building, Stoica says his software was indeed able to extract useful gait data. Extending the idea to satellites could prove trickier, though. Space imaging expert Bhupendra Jasani at King's College London says geostationary satellites simply don't have the resolution to provide useful detail. 'I find it hard to believe they could apply this technique from space,' says Jasani."

Comments on the article speculate on the maximum resolution possible from KH-11 and KH-12 spy satellites.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-09-05, 07:57 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Shadow Analysis Could Spot Terrorists"
Oh, this is just more fun after hearing about the blatant violations of First Amendment rights at the NRC.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2008-09-09, 08:03 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Oh, this is just more fun after hearing..."
So now the government will be able to spy on us even easier. Great!
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2008-09-09, 08:15 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "So now the government will be able to..."
more reason to move countries! chruser, hows sweden? do you guys like american's?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2008-09-10, 08:01 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "more reason to move countries! chruser,..."
Kidding me! No one likes Americans. We are just a bunch of rich ass bullies.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2008-09-11, 05:45 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "Kidding me! No one likes Americans. We..."
Asamin said: [Goto]
Kidding me! No one likes Americans. We are just a bunch of rich ass bullies.
The Rich ass part is untrue. I think the majority of Americans are either poor or middle class.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2008-09-11, 06:16 PM in reply to Wallow's post starting "The Rich ass part is untrue. I think..."
I was talking about the country, not the people. The country is a rich ass bully. Better?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2008-09-11, 06:36 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "I was talking about the country, not..."
I was talking about the country, not the people. The country is a rich ass bully. Better?
Nope, we're not rich at all. We're in debt!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2008-09-11, 10:22 PM in reply to Wallow's post starting "Nope, we're not rich at all. We're in..."
You're wrong. The USA is in debt to its citizens, who in turn are rich relative to the rest of the world.

Last edited by WetWired; 2008-09-11 at 10:26 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-09-11, 10:24 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "You're wrong. The USA is in debt to its..."
Agreed, despite the trade deficit we continue to be the wealthiest country in the world.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-09-17, 10:30 AM in reply to Asamin's post starting "So now the government will be able to..."
So now the government will be able to spy on us even easier. Great!
We don't give a shit about you. What the government have to gain by knowing that your at the park? This technology is to help find dangerous criminals, terrorist and the likes. Embrace it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2008-09-17, 01:55 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "We don't give a shit about you. What..."
You're wrong. JD wants to know what every human is doing every second.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-09-17, 02:30 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "You're wrong. JD wants to know what..."
I heard about this in the news... I don't really trust satellites, or people for that matter, to determine whether to kill someone or not by the way they walk.

Last edited by -Spector-; 2008-09-17 at 02:32 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-09-17, 03:19 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "I heard about this in the news... I..."
-Spector- said: [Goto]
I heard about this in the news... I don't really trust satellites, or people for that matter, to determine whether to kill someone or not by the way they walk.
Well good thing its not like that. There's no laser death ray that fires from space on a target after its shadow has been identified. It would be used to locate a person, so that authorities could capture them and if that person is who they were trying to find send them through the correct channels of investigation.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2008-09-17, 03:19 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "I heard about this in the news... I..."
With the orbital lasers, you mean?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2008-09-17, 03:22 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "Well good thing its not like that...."
Can you really be sure? Even if you can document that the US has never put such a system up there (as if that were even posible), who's to say Russia didn't deploy such a system during the cold war and turn over control for some sort of payment when they fell on hard times?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2008-09-17, 03:42 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Can you really be sure? Even if you..."
NASA has already designed a Space Solar Power satellite which can, in theory, convert sunlight in space to electricity and beam it back to Earth via the microwave spectrum. The received power (on Earth) will be in gigawatt order, and I presuppose the beam divergence will be small enough for the beam to be able to cause some significant damage even in small temporal frames, should it be used for such alternative purposes.

Now, I wonder if it could be possible to retrieve gait data from people inside buildings via infrared or x-ray spectrum satellites, given sufficient power output and resolution...
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2008-09-17 at 03:46 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-09-17, 03:50 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "NASA has already designed a Space Solar..."
I wasn't saying that some laser would come from the satellite, I don't trust it to determine whether or not the person(s) should be killed or captured.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-09-17, 03:52 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "I wasn't saying that some laser would..."
-Spector- said: [Goto]
I wasn't saying that some laser would come from the satellite, I don't trust it to determine whether or not the person(s) should be killed or captured.
I don't think that's what it does. I don't think it says that you're a terrorist because of the way you walk. I think what it does is identifies who you are based on the way you walk. For instance, if they're looking for a specific person, they could use this to find them. It won't say "this person is a terrorist."
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-09-17, 03:54 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I don't think that's what it does. I..."
Ah, I see.

Interesting.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

-Spector-