Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Posted 2008-05-11, 06:22 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Everything isn't good and fine now, let..."
Or make it worse.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Coriander shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeCoriander shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Coriander

Posted 2008-05-11, 09:05 PM in reply to Coriander's post starting "Or make it worse."
We'll be here in 4 years. Probably will continue on past 5, 6, etc.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2008-05-16, 04:21 AM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "We'll be here in 4 years. Probably..."
It's just something that some strange person out there noticed. It wont happen.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2008-05-16, 07:45 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "It's just something that some strange..."
That's funny, my cousin kept throwing death proclomations at me when he was busy ranting due to the lack of brain cells he has. I think it's incredibly stupid, the world's going to end one day that's for sure, but bloody hell it isn't going to end in my lifetime if I can help it.
Palin has scat for brains.

I approve this message.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Elizabeth enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzElizabeth enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Elizabeth

Posted 2008-06-11, 09:56 AM in reply to Elizabeth's post starting "That's funny, my cousin kept throwing..."
I dont believe it so much just because, in my christian faith, we were told that we wouldnt know the day. I think it will come at a time none of us are expecting. lol. I will admit though, this mayan stuff is scary. They made some predictions that were dead on accurate.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
MidnightsChorus is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMidnightsChorus is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

MidnightsChorus

Posted 2008-06-11, 11:25 AM in reply to MidnightsChorus's post starting "I dont believe it so much just because,..."
Why hasn't anyone mentioned my favorite Doomsday toy yet?

Wikipedia said:
The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is a particle accelerator of the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) that lies under the Franco-Swiss border near Geneva, Switzerland. The LHC is in the final stages of construction and commissioning, with some sections already being cooled down to their final operating temperature of approximately 2K.

The first beams are due for injection mid June 2008 with the first collisions planned to take place 2 months later. The LHC will become the world's largest and highest-energy particle accelerator. The LHC is being funded and built in collaboration with over two thousand physicists from thirty-four countries as well as hundreds of universities and laboratories.

[...]

In addition to the Higgs boson, other theorized novel particles that might be produced, and for which searches are planned, include strangelets, micro black holes, magnetic monopoles and supersymmetric particles.

[...]

Concerns have been raised that performing collisions at previously unexplored energies might unleash new and disastrous phenomena. These include the production of micro black holes, and strangelets, potentially resulting in a doomsday scenario. Such issues were raised in connection with the RHIC accelerator, both in the media and in the scientific community; however, after detailed studies, scientists reached such conclusions as "beyond reasonable doubt, heavy-ion experiments at RHIC will not endanger our planet" and that there is "powerful empirical evidence against the possibility of dangerous strangelet production."

[...]

The risk of a doomsday scenario was indicated by Sir Martin Rees, with respect to the RHIC, as being at least a 1 in 50,000,000 chance.

Essentially, the LHC will recreate the conditions seen directly after the Big Bang by hypothetically producing a "God particle"; the only elementary particle in the standard model of partiticle physics which we have not yet observed. Whether or not it appears, the results may answer one of our most fundamental questions: How was the universe created? What else have we got? Oh yeah:

Quote:
Professor Dr. Otto E. Rössler warns that the scientific community claims the success of the experiment may result in the black hole destroying the planet within 50 million years. His own calculations indicate that this time frame may in fact be closer to 50 months.

Let's see; 50 months after either the point in time in which the machine will be started (June 2008), or after the first particle collisions will occur (August 2008) implies that the hypothetical end of the world scenario will reach its state of completion in August to October, 2012.

Professor Dr. Otto E. Rössler (translation) said:
After the CERN machine is built, it will be the first time in the history of mankind [that] black holes on earth can be produced.

It is, however, very [difficult] to attack it. Almost the entire scientific community stands behind it.

Read more about him here if you like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_R%C3%B6ssler

While I am skeptical about doomsday scenarios, I must admit it would be an elegant end of mankind. Man masters science. Man finds "God particle" that created the universe as we know it. Mankind is annihilated as predicted. Nothing gained, nothing lost. Time repeats itself.

"Heaven lasts long, and Earth abides
What is the secret of their durability?
Is it because they do not live for themselves
That they endure so long?"

- Lao Tzu
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2008-06-11 at 11:54 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-06-11, 11:29 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Why hasn't anyone mentioned my favorite..."
2012 rears it's ugly head again.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Coriander shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeCoriander shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Coriander

Posted 2008-06-12, 09:55 PM in reply to Coriander's post starting "2012 rears it's ugly head again."
I am still skeptical. But I've my own reasons.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2008-06-13, 12:09 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "I am still skeptical. But I've my own..."
Zombies. That's how I want humanity to go out.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2008-06-13, 12:14 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "Zombies. That's how I want humanity to..."
It'd be cool shooting zombies >-<.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-06-16, 06:10 AM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "Zombies. That's how I want humanity to..."
Fuck, dude! Me too!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

KagomJack

Posted 2008-06-16, 10:52 PM in reply to MidnightsChorus's post starting "I dont believe it so much just because,..."
Something big is definately going to happen soon. I can almost feel it. Don't know about the end of the world, but something is going to happen.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
MidnightsChorus is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMidnightsChorus is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

MidnightsChorus

Posted 2008-06-17, 09:17 PM in reply to MidnightsChorus's post starting "Something big is definately going to..."
thats how i feel too
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
jamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed it

jamer123

Posted 2008-09-10, 10:44 AM in reply to jamer123's post starting "thats how i feel too"
Excellent post Chruser. I agree with you for the most part, that would be a brilliant summary of Mankind to finally evolve technologically to the point where we find out how we were created, and destroy ourselves while doing it. Brilliant! And at the same time depressing. But in all honesty I doubt anything will happen, I just hope everything goes as planned and we can build from this research and that all of these hypothetical situations are just that, hypothetical.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V