Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Please Help
Posted 2006-08-25, 07:13 AM
Hi guys i'm having a computer problem and am hoping you can help me out.
My C drive (program files etc.) seems to have used up an extra 2GB out of nowhere. It keeps telling me that the My Documents folder is 3.71GB big but when i go in and check its size it's only 336 mb big.
Anyway today i decided to defragment the drive. What happened is i got an error message half way through saying it couldn't defragment some file in a folder that doesn't exist.

"Defragmentation is complete for: (C

Some files on this volume could not be defragmented.
Please check the defragmentation report for the list of these files."

REPORT:

"Volume (C
Volume size = 10.00 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 7.67 GB
Free space = 2.33 GB
Percent free space = 23 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 16 %
File fragmentation = 33 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 29,392
Average file size = 365 KB
Total fragmented files = 2
Total excess fragments = 3,682
Average fragments per file = 1.12

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 768 MB
Total fragments = 2

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 3,039
Fragmented folders = 1
Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 47 MB
MFT record count = 32,525
Percent MFT in use = 66 %
Total MFT fragments = 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
3,682 1.85 GB \Documents and Settings\My Documents\Local Settings\Temp\000004DB"

Could you guys help?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Cornellius is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenCornellius is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Cornellius

Posted 2006-08-25, 08:03 AM in reply to Cornellius's post "Please Help"
Go to C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Local Settings\Temp, and delete 000004DB? If it won't let you, then delete it in safe mode. Or (*crosses his fingers*), if you're running a pre-XP Windows, restart in DOS mode and delete it there.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2006-08-25, 08:31 AM in reply to Cornellius's post "Please Help"
If you go into a folder and just look at the size shown IN the folder, then it only shows the files that aren't in subfolders. Ctrl + A and check the properties should show how big the whole thing is.

-----

He might be running XP - I don't think any other Windows OS has /Documents and Settings/ and all that.

-----

Also, to bring back some space, you could turn off System Restore, then turn it back on -- WARNING: MAKE SURE THE COMPUTER IS COMPLETEY CLEANED OF VIRUSES AND THE LIKE that way if you need to restore back, you'll have a completely clean point to restore to.

To turn them off, then on:

Right click (on desktop) My Computer > Properties > System Restore [tab] then tick the tick-box that say: "Turn off System Restore on all drives" apply it, check the volume of your C: Drive, then go back, untick it, and apply it.

With us it gets rid of about 2gb of un-needed Resore files.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-08-25, 08:33 AM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Go to C:\Documents and Settings\My..."
Medieval Bob said:
Go to C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Local Settings\Temp, and delete 000004DB? If it won't let you, then delete it in safe mode. Or (*crosses his fingers*), if you're running a pre-XP Windows, restart in DOS mode and delete it there.
Yeah but one of the problems is there is no Local Settings folder. I am running windows XP.
I know there are usually hidden folders in your main drive but those files are usually small plus i don't get how after 24hours i can have 3GB less space.
I don't install any programs such as games on my C drive. I'm confused.

EDIT: I'll try what you said Lenny but i'm currently running anti-virus to see what pops up.

Last edited by Cornellius; 2006-08-25 at 08:36 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Cornellius is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenCornellius is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Cornellius

Posted 2006-08-25, 08:37 AM in reply to Cornellius's post "Please Help"
Try using the program WinDirStat. It creates a map of your hard drive based on size by color and area.

If you see any stupidly large chunks or masses of tiny files, delete them.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav