Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

View Poll Results: Should the Zelaron portal be restored?
Yes, bring it back! It's useful and cool-looking! 15 65.22%
No, who honestly cares about the portal anyway? I come here to visit the forum! 6 26.09%
It doesn't really matter to me. 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Zelaron portal
Posted 2004-02-18, 06:49 AM
Well, some people have asked me about the zelaron.com portal and why it hasn't been up since the launch of vB3. Simply enough, it was taken down because it served no purpose at the moment. The game review sections and download areas did hardly have any hits at all, and the portal just seemed like a robust, nice-looking site with no interesting features at all. There was a cafepress store with "amusing items" no-one purchased and things like that.

Despite these reasons, what do you all think about the portal? Should it be brought back, possibly changed to be a lot more interesting, and if so, do you have any good ideas for the portal to implent? Personally, I think the reviews posted on Zelaron could possibly be put on the portal automatically, but I'm not quite sure yet.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2004-02-18, 08:40 AM in reply to Chruser's post "Zelaron portal"
Chruser said:
Personally, I think the reviews posted on Zelaron could possibly be put on the portal automatically, but I'm not quite sure yet.
I was thinking that exactly, and yes, I think it should be brought back.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2004-02-18, 08:45 AM in reply to Chruser's post "Zelaron portal"
Bring it back....

For choose who never seen it, here it is....
Old Portal: http://web.archive.org/web/200209201...files/news.php

Old Zelaron: http://web.archive.org/web/200210251...rums/index.php
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
LiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

LiveWire

Posted 2004-02-18, 10:16 AM in reply to Chruser's post "Zelaron portal"
I like the being able to see New Post on the front page then click to read them. It keeps them in order from when they were made, not from last post like it is in the forum
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Acer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAcer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Acer

Posted 2004-02-19, 04:10 AM in reply to Acer's post starting "I like the being able to see New Post..."
I don't think being able to read news in order justifies bringing the portal back, especially if they are hardly ever posted.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2004-02-19, 09:01 AM in reply to Chruser's post "Zelaron portal"
No, because it sucked ass and no one cared about it
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Randuin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Randuin

Posted 2004-02-19, 09:03 AM in reply to Randuin's post starting "No, because it sucked ass and no one..."
Maybe if they spent half the time on the portal then they do adding hacks, it might be something rather interesting.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
LiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

LiveWire

Posted 2004-02-19, 09:11 AM in reply to Chruser's post "Zelaron portal"
Chruser said:
Well, some people have asked me about the zelaron.com portal and why it hasn't been up since the launch of vB3. Simply enough, it was taken down because it served no purpose at the moment. The game review sections and download areas did hardly have any hits at all, and the portal just seemed like a robust, nice-looking site with no interesting features at all. There was a cafepress store with "amusing items" no-one purchased and things like that.

Despite these reasons, what do you all think about the portal? Should it be brought back, possibly changed to be a lot more interesting, and if so, do you have any good ideas for the portal to implent? Personally, I think the reviews posted on Zelaron could possibly be put on the portal automatically, but I'm not quite sure yet.
I never really used it because I was too busy trying to get as many posts as possible because I didn't have an internet connnection of my own at the time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dan XIII is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDan XIII is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Dan XIII

Posted 2004-02-19, 12:02 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Zelaron portal"
Okay, so here's what we have so far:
  • A majority wants the portal back.
  • Reviews posted on the board should also show up on the portal.
  • News get displayed in the order they originally get posted, not by the latest reply.

That's not enough ideas by any means. If we ever want to compete with the big boys (gamespy, mgon, gamespot), this will not be enough by any means. And don't think "but they're huge, there's no way anyone could EVER compete with them."

Anyway, I'll start off by brainstorming about some various ideas. Go ahead and leave some input and post new ideas so we'll have a decent basis for the portal.
  • A download section with the latest game demos, patches, trainers and such relevant things. We've had this before, but it did not get much input due to a lack of portal visitors.
  • Up-to-date news with news posters capable of posting often, not a group of 10+ news posters who post ONCE every week altogether. The news posters have gotten more lazy lately and will need some new, fresh recruits.
  • A game screenshot easier to update than before. Multiple people could be assigned to take care of this one, possibly to have a screenshot of the day.
  • Interviews with industry professionals? Except for a few industry professionals who come to Zelaron every now and then (such as CAClark), we likely have to boost our ratings a bit more in order to find interesting game developers who would take the time to give us a scoop.
  • The Zelaron email stays. If we get the resources, we could upgrade it to HiveMail to disable advertising and allow members to use POP3 if they so wish. A lot of people do prefer having Outlook running instead of having to check their web mail.
  • Full forum integration. The portal should display things such as the current forum members online, possibly even notify users if they have a new PM, and of course, quickly let users check for new posts directly from the portal via a single mouse click.

In addition, Zajako has promised us the pay version of his splendid RPG game, which allows pretty much full customization in all sorts of ways. The main elements behind it is still to fight monsters, find items, gold and such things while you level up your character. You can duel other players, navigate throughout the world and possibly find some nigh-impossible monsters to attack. It has been greatly improved, and for those of you who liked the beta (even though it lacked random battle damage) will absolutely love the new version.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2004-02-19, 12:39 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Okay, so here's what we have so far: ..."
Chruser said:
Okay, so here's what we have so far:
  • A majority wants the portal back.
  • Reviews posted on the board should also show up on the portal.
  • News get displayed in the order they originally get posted, not by the latest reply.

That's not enough ideas by any means. If we ever want to compete with the big boys (gamespy, mgon, gamespot), this will not be enough by any means. And don't think "but they're huge, there's no way anyone could EVER compete with them."

Anyway, I'll start off by brainstorming about some various ideas. Go ahead and leave some input and post new ideas so we'll have a decent basis for the portal.
  • A download section with the latest game demos, patches, trainers and such relevant things. We've had this before, but it did not get much input due to a lack of portal visitors.
  • Up-to-date news with news posters capable of posting often, not a group of 10+ news posters who post ONCE every week altogether. The news posters have gotten more lazy lately and will need some new, fresh recruits.
  • A game screenshot easier to update than before. Multiple people could be assigned to take care of this one, possibly to have a screenshot of the day.
  • Interviews with industry professionals? Except for a few industry professionals who come to Zelaron every now and then (such as CAClark), we likely have to boost our ratings a bit more in order to find interesting game developers who would take the time to give us a scoop.
  • The Zelaron email stays. If we get the resources, we could upgrade it to HiveMail to disable advertising and allow members to use POP3 if they so wish. A lot of people do prefer having Outlook running instead of having to check their web mail.
  • Full forum integration. The portal should display things such as the current forum members online, possibly even notify users if they have a new PM, and of course, quickly let users check for new posts directly from the portal via a single mouse click.

In addition, Zajako has promised us the pay version of his splendid RPG game, which allows pretty much full customization in all sorts of ways. The main elements behind it is still to fight monsters, find items, gold and such things while you level up your character. You can duel other players, navigate throughout the world and possibly find some nigh-impossible monsters to attack. It has been greatly improved, and for those of you who liked the beta (even though it lacked random battle damage) will absolutely love the new version.
the download section will be cool as long as there are good things to download.Another thing you could do is have some kind of awards ceremony where people can vote for people here at zelaron for different titles.At the forum that I got unfairly booted from called Final Fantasy Discovery I was almost elected as the most spammish.

Last edited by Dan XIII; 2004-02-19 at 12:47 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dan XIII is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDan XIII is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Dan XIII

Posted 2004-02-19, 12:44 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Okay, so here's what we have so far: ..."
i would say that diablo 2 is probably one of the most active forums that we have so i think that adding diablo 2 files would be a must for the portal and as far as interviewing people some people to consider could be the guy from mousepad the guy from d2jsp as well as gayak , evilcheese, and other diablo hackers/programmers.

thats just my 2 cents.
Think not disdainfully of death, but look on it with favor; for even death is one of the things that Nature wills.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
tidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

tidus2005

Posted 2004-02-19, 12:49 PM in reply to tidus2005's post starting "i would say that diablo 2 is probably..."
tidus2005 said:
i would say that diablo 2 is probably one of the most active forums that we have so i think that adding diablo 2 files would be a must for the portal and as far as interviewing people some people to consider could be the guy from mousepad the guy from d2jsp as well as gayak , evilcheese, and other diablo hackers/programmers.

thats just my 2 cents.
I think that would be cool even though I only played the first Diablo game when I had it.I made it to hell and then got stuck.I tried about 50 times to make it through hell but I kept dying so I never beat it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Dan XIII

Posted 2004-02-19, 01:57 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Okay, so here's what we have so far: ..."
Here are my thoughts, once again....

First, In order to get people to post news, you would have to give them something to keep them motivated. Extra forum privileges, and not just the ability to post in the announce forums ect..., something to make them feel more part of the team. ThatÂ’s just an example.

Maybe a weekly news letter, showing new thread titles, news articles, members, updated downloads, ect... I know youÂ’re very professional with the structure of your sentences. And I know you can make some pretty interesting news letters.

Interviews would be really good, but I don't think many members would take that serious, they could just embaressed the site completely. Unless an admin does it. I dunno....

Screenshots are good, as long as there updated on a weekly basis or something, and not every 4 months... Also downloads would be perfect, demos, patches ect.. I like that idea.

Lastly, the RPG, not sure if that would be a good move. Might do what it did last time and take off great, then become less active. Unless you integrated it with the post bit. That would keep alot of members playing/posting, participating.

Hope this helps.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

LiveWire

Posted 2004-02-19, 02:11 PM in reply to LiveWire's post starting "Here are my thoughts, once again.... ..."
LiveWire said:
Here are my thoughts, once again....

First, In order to get people to post news, you would have to give them something to keep them motivated. Extra forum privileges, and not just the ability to post in the announce forums ect..., something to make them feel more part of the team. ThatÂ’s just an example.

Maybe a weekly news letter, showing new thread titles, news articles, members, updated downloads, ect... I know youÂ’re very professional with the structure of your sentences. And I know you can make some pretty interesting news letters.

Interviews would be really good, but I don't think many members would take that serious, they could just embaressed the site completely. Unless an admin does it. I dunno....

Screenshots are good, as long as there updated on a weekly basis or something, and not every 4 months... Also downloads would be perfect, demos, patches ect.. I like that idea.

Lastly, the RPG, not sure if that would be a good move. Might do what it did last time and take off great, then become less active. Unless you integrated it with the post bit. That would keep alot of members playing/posting, participating.

Hope this helps.
If there was an RPG I would defenitely go to it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Dan XIII

Posted 2004-02-19, 02:14 PM in reply to Dan XIII's post starting "If there was an RPG I would defenitely..."
Dan XIII said:
If there was an RPG I would defenitely go to it.
If you where here when the first one was here, then you would understand what i'm talking about.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

LiveWire

Posted 2004-02-19, 02:14 PM in reply to LiveWire's post starting "Here are my thoughts, once again.... ..."
Well, the RPG gives you gold when posting. New threads are worth a lot more than replies, but both things work.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2004-02-19, 02:17 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Well, the RPG gives you gold when..."
Chruser said:
Well, the RPG gives you gold when posting. New threads are worth a lot more than replies, but both things work.
I was refering to meters on the postbit, showing how much gold you have, mana points, hp points, each post it goes up untill the next level, ect... like most sites have it, but making it client side only....
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

LiveWire

Posted 2004-02-19, 03:37 PM in reply to Dan XIII's post starting "If there was an RPG I would defenitely..."
No, you wouldn't. Goto http:\\tfogame.com, register for the forums, then use the "one fate" link in the nav. Admittedly it's better than what we had before, but it still has major issues. For one, there is still no randomization to battle damage besides the occational half damage
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2004-02-19, 05:39 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Okay, so here's what we have so far: ..."
You could also try to incorporate the zelaron email into the main page... That might get people using it. 3DBuzz had a similair situation where their site is completely dedicated to the forums and not so much the portal... May be you could take a look?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Randuin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Randuin

Posted 2004-02-19, 05:49 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Zelaron portal"
There was always a email login on the main page.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence