Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Posted 2008-02-01, 03:15 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "Disregarding the God of my fathers is..."
Atnas said:
If I believe all humanity is one, then we as a race are superior to everything, individually and together. We are, if you should put it this way, gods in and of ourselves.
We're mammals. Nothing more, nothing less. You don't want to have a relationship, that's your choice, but don't deny yourself your basic biological impulses. You're going to be a grumpy old man.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-02-01, 03:33 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "We're mammals. Nothing more, nothing..."
I agree we are mammals. Nothing more, nothing less.

We do, however, have a more complex thinking process than, say, a cat. That makes us superior. Intellect is our power.

I'm never grumpy - I merely loathe the responsibility involved in dealing with others. And to be intimately involved with someone is to bring in responsibility. I don't want that. And I'm happy with it that way it is.

I'm one of those people who does get disgusted with humans in general, however. If we do have this intelligence, why should we revert to these horrible animalistic qualities we evolved out of? We are capable. imo
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2008-02-01, 04:51 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "I agree we are mammals. Nothing more,..."
Quote:
I'm one of those people who does get disgusted with humans in general, however. If we do have this intelligence, why should we revert to these horrible animalistic qualities we evolved out of? We are capable. imo
That's a fallacy if I ever heard one. People like to believe that we've transcended our basal instincts. It's simply something that makes us feel better. We've done nothing of the sort. Our intelligence is merely a tool we use to carry out our instinctive functions.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-02-01, 05:19 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "That's a fallacy if I ever heard one...."
Okay.

I'll disagree one last time, though. Our intelligence isn't merely used to carry out instinctive functions, it allows us to create as well. (Art, music, the like.) Those aren't instincts. Learning to play an instrument is not instinctual.

Last edited by Atnas; 2008-02-01 at 05:21 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2008-02-01, 07:19 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "Okay. I'll disagree one last time,..."
Yea, but that's not the purpose behind our intelligence. That's a consequence. We didn't evolve intelligence for art, music, or mathematics. We evolved it because it helped us survive. The fact that we can do these other things is swell, but that's all it is. If you think it's going to allow us to overcome our savage nature before we kill ourselves, however, I think you're gravely mistaken.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-02-01, 07:21 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Yea, but that's not the purpose behind..."
When you factor in that half the world has an IQ below 90 (I just made this up, but it's probably close), all that becomes a lot worse.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2008-02-01, 07:26 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Yea, but that's not the purpose behind..."
I see no possible way for humankind to evade self-annihilation, don't get me wrong.

You helped to prove my point though, that is - humans are superior to animals in the creative realm.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas

Posted 2008-02-01, 07:29 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "I see no possible way for humankind to..."
Your point is more like an observation, not an argument. I don't think he was disputing the fact that humans are capable of creativity. Other animals are as well.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2008-02-01, 07:33 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "I see no possible way for humankind to..."
Atnas said:
You helped to prove my point though, that is - humans are superior to animals in the creative realm.
Superior in what way? Birds sing songs we can not hope to mimic. It took us hundreds of thousands of years to spin something as beautiful and complex as a spider web. Bees produce honey. Alcohol is created by yeast. Plants and bacteria produce medicine. Milk is (generally) extracted from other animals. All we've learned to do is utilize what nature produces for us. And it took us hundreds of thousands of years to get there. We are the most intelligent species on the planet. Undoubtedly. I'm not even disputing the fact that we're the most creative. All I'm saying is that we have not subverted our basal animal nature.

Last edited by Demosthenes; 2008-02-01 at 07:35 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-02-01, 10:26 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Superior in what way? Birds sing songs..."
mjordan2nd said:
Superior in what way? Birds sing songs we can not hope to mimic. It took us hundreds of thousands of years to spin something as beautiful and complex as a spider web. Bees produce honey. Alcohol is created by yeast. Plants and bacteria produce medicine. Milk is (generally) extracted from other animals. All we've learned to do is utilize what nature produces for us. And it took us hundreds of thousands of years to get there. We are the most intelligent species on the planet. Undoubtedly. I'm not even disputing the fact that we're the most creative. All I'm saying is that we have not subverted our basal animal nature.
Yeah. Ladies.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2008-02-01, 10:38 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Yeah. Ladies."
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе said:
Yeah. Ladies.
What?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-02-02, 06:59 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Superior in what way? Birds sing songs..."
mjordan2nd said:
All I'm saying is that we have not subverted our basal animal nature.
I agree.

mjordan2nd said:
Superior in what way?
You answered this.

mjordan2nd said:
We are the most intelligent species on the planet. Undoubtedly. I'm not even disputing the fact that we're the most creative.

Now all I'm saying, is that due to this creativity and intelligence, we are separate from animals. We are animals physically, but mentally we are much more than that.

I don't get your point in saying that animals who are physically built to create set things are superior. Given your spider web example, I think it's marvelous how humans have the ability to utilize and to mimic - making us the masters of our world. That's why I view humans as gods. Does not the traditional god rule and create? One would be a fool to think I meant anything more.

I have never seen a cat play an adapted violin and understand music theory.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas

Posted 2008-02-02, 11:58 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "What?"
I dunno... ladies.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2008-02-02, 12:20 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "I agree. You answered this."
Atnas said:
You answered this.
Superiority is not synonymous with intelligence or creativity.

Quote:
We are animals physically, but mentally we are much more than that.
We are mentally animals as well. We just have a greater mental capacity than the others. A giraffe is the tallest animal in the world. That does not mean that it is mentally an animal, but height-wise "much more than that." And as an aside, there is a very minute difference between our brain and that of our close primate cousins.

Quote:
making us the masters of our world.
But we are not masters of our world. We can not control, for instance, the weather. You can have an influence, but not control the population of insects in your house. We can't make it to the depths of sea, much less control that ecosystem. Hell, we're not even in control of our bodies. You depend on a symbiotic relationship with other organisms to exist. You depend on chemical transmitters that you have no conscious control of to control the autonomous functions of your body. Your genetic code is easily changed by viruses. Your body's functions are easily influenced by other pathogens. We are in control of some things. 99% of the rest of the world we are not.

Quote:
I have never seen a cat play an adapted violin and understand music theory.
I have never seen a human jump three times its own height. We are more intelligent. Superior? I don't think so.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-02-02, 03:57 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Superiority is not synonymous with..."
I concede.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas

Posted 2009-06-25, 01:07 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "I concede."
We're almost there guys! OMG WE GONNA DIEEEE

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V