Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Windows Vista
Posted 2007-11-29, 02:38 PM
So my new computer came with Windows Vista, which thus far I'm not very impressed with. Is it worth having, or should I get rid of it and get XP instead?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusion

Jessifer

Posted 2007-11-29, 02:47 PM in reply to Jessifer's post "Windows Vista"
It would probably be a pain to get rid of it. Downgrading operating systems when it comes to windows is a royal pain in the ass.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-11-29, 02:57 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "It would probably be a pain to get rid..."
Bleh...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusion

Jessifer

Posted 2007-11-29, 03:04 PM in reply to Jessifer's post starting "Bleh..."
Vista sucks. Arrid works!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2007-11-29, 03:14 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "It would probably be a pain to get rid..."
!King_Amazon! said:
It would probably be a pain to get rid of it. Downgrading operating systems when it comes to windows is a royal pain in the ass.
Just do a complete re-install. If you have any existing software that came with the computer that you actually want to keep, be safe and Ghost it onto a new CD, as well as double-check what isntallation CDs came with the computer. I am really, really, really considering downgrading my laptop.

Having Vista on it not only saps about 1/4 of my ram .. (even tho it's 2 gigs).. Alone. Direct X10 isn't even worth having, being that only like 2 games actually can run on this system as of yet, so if you are a gamer, maybe keep it, but if not don't worry about it DX9 if just fine.

As for features, XP was much faster and much more efficient IMO for what it's worth.

Vista does make it easier a bit, and they have cleaned up Control Panel quite significantly, and Windows defender actually does work, and you can contorl what starts up when your computer turns on, but all in all XP is still the champ.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-11-29, 03:17 PM in reply to Jessifer's post "Windows Vista"
I'd be in the minority who says "Keep Vista!!", it seems.

If you don't like it, then downgrade.

Quote:
Incorrect. I've been asked to downgrade three PCs with Vista, and install XP - it was as simple as setting the PC to boot from CD, stick in the XP CD, do a full format, and then install XP.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-11-29, 04:53 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I'd be in the minority who says "Keep..."
I like vista. Usually with my Windows XP, every three months my computer would start going reeaallly slow.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of mass

kaos

Posted 2007-11-29, 07:36 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Just do a complete re-install. If you..."
Aah, my computer came pre-installed with everything.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Jessifer

Posted 2007-11-29, 09:14 PM in reply to Jessifer's post starting "Aah, my computer came pre-installed..."
hey does anyone know if store bought computers come with like a vista cd or something because i was wondering if you downgrade to xp would you be able to go back?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
iceman887 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweeniceman887 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

iceman887

Posted 2007-11-29, 10:32 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I'd be in the minority who says "Keep..."
Except that that's not a downgrade; it's a fresh install. If you have stuff that needs to keep working, that's not a good option.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2007-11-30, 07:02 AM in reply to Jessifer's post starting "Aah, my computer came pre-installed..."
Jessifer said:
Aah, my computer came pre-installed with everything.
Yeah, that's why I said you could go ahead and go grab a copy of Norton-CD Ghoster (or whatever it's called) it's like $20 at Bestbuy...

You, however, don't even need to do this unless you want to keep some various programs.. as for drivers, if you just bought your computer, I guarntee you can go onto the manufactures website (ex: Dell,Hp, Toshiba..etc) and download everysingle driver that you'll need, so you can grab all of these BEFORE you start, put them onto a cd, reinstall with XP, and then add any additional drivers you may need. And then install your older programs that you opted to keep..

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-11-30, 10:13 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Yeah, that's why I said you could go..."
Aah, thanks for the info.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Jessifer

Posted 2007-12-05, 02:05 AM in reply to Jessifer's post starting "Aah, thanks for the info."
vista is OK...the first thing you have to do is turn off windowssearch ( i believe ) service....its the service that runs the indexing....i have 40000 songs, and 500 movies, and while it was trying ot index that, i was haivng 100% CPU usage, and after 4 hours, i had to disable it, it was taking too long, after you tweak it, and turn the features off, you know, the ones that make vista worth using......it starts running fine....but SP1 comes out the first quarter of 2008, ( lots of downloadable beta versions out now ) and sp1 is supposed to fix alot of bugs and make it alot more cpu/memory efficient...so i guess we will have to wait for that...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
micdawg12 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenmicdawg12 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

micdawg12

Posted 2007-12-16, 09:39 AM in reply to micdawg12's post starting "vista is OK...the first thing you have..."
micdawg12 said:
vista is OK...the first thing you have to do is turn off windowssearch ( i believe ) service....its the service that runs the indexing....i have 40000 songs, and 500 movies, and while it was trying ot index that, i was haivng 100% CPU usage, and after 4 hours, i had to disable it, it was taking too long, after you tweak it, and turn the features off, you know, the ones that make vista worth using......it starts running fine....but SP1 comes out the first quarter of 2008, ( lots of downloadable beta versions out now ) and sp1 is supposed to fix alot of bugs and make it alot more cpu/memory efficient...so i guess we will have to wait for that...

okay, well RC1 of sp1 has been publicly released, i have it, and so far its a great increase
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
micdawg12 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenmicdawg12 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

micdawg12

Posted 2007-12-16, 10:36 AM in reply to micdawg12's post starting "okay, well RC1 of sp1 has been publicly..."
What are the changes in it?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-12-16, 07:01 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "What are the changes in it?"
Lenny said:
What are the changes in it?

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

theres a huge list...not much for extra features....but its definately faster
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

micdawg12

Posted 2007-12-19, 03:20 PM in reply to Jessifer's post "Windows Vista"
My new laptop came with Vista Home Premium, and I have no complaints thus far, but then again I have only been using it for >2 days now though. What issues did or do you have with it?

Maybe tonight we'll fly so far away... We'll be lost before the dawn...
Raziel said:
er er LOL
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
DaFrigginDoctah enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzDaFrigginDoctah enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

DaFrigginDoctah

Posted 2007-12-19, 10:54 PM in reply to DaFrigginDoctah's post starting "My new laptop came with Vista Home..."
DaFrigginDoctah said:
My new laptop came with Vista Home Premium, and I have no complaints thus far, but then again I have only been using it for >2 days now though. What issues did or do you have with it?
i did have issues with it using 100% of my CPU all the time.....

but NO LONGER! download and install :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

and you should see a significant increase in speed...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

micdawg12

Posted 2007-12-20, 06:53 AM in reply to micdawg12's post starting "i did have issues with it using 100% of..."
I definately definately definately need to pick that up, good find Mcdawg, I was actually roaming around for that the other day after work and was having trouble finding it, +1 rep, i'll definately get this when I get home.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V