Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Ubuntu + Beryl
Posted 2007-04-24, 12:35 PM
Guys, I have Ubuntu + Beryl installed on my system and it kicks ass. It does have the terminal which is pretty much like a more advanced installation program, almost like registry for windows but more along the lines of a command line style.

Vista sucks big, fat, hairy, monkey balls. If you just take a look at the system requirements on it they went ridiculously out of hand and it takes up a bit of space on your hard drive. So why spend hundreds of dollars on it when Ubuntu + Beryl are so much more bad ass and it's free?

So, if you want to look at some videos on it take a look at my link in my sig. It comes in 32-bit and 64-bit. It looks like it would be a bit tasking, but it really is not. If you want to try it out I suggest you partition your drive using the ubuntu cd, you can download it straight from ubuntu.com or you can request a cd in the mail for free as well.

A really good feature of ubuntu is that it runs the OS straight off the cd first so you can try it out and see if you like it. Then you can begin installing it by clicking on install on the desktop. While it's installing you can get on the internet! It automatically configures your internet connection from the cd... it's so bad ass, so you can go on here even when you're installing it if you wanted to.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JoshTheftAuto is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJoshTheftAuto is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

JoshTheftAuto

Posted 2007-04-24, 12:36 PM in reply to JoshTheftAuto's post "Ubuntu + Beryl"
Heh, the terminal really isn't anything like the windows registry assuming Linux hasn't changed unrecognizably over the past year or so.

What is Beryl, exactly, if you don't mind me asking?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-04-24, 12:39 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Heh, the terminal really isn't anything..."
I know, I was just trying to relate it to windows in some way lol. Now beryl is what gives it awesome effects. like burning the window, wobbly windows, the infamous desktop cube and so on.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JoshTheftAuto is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJoshTheftAuto is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

JoshTheftAuto

Posted 2007-04-24, 12:44 PM in reply to JoshTheftAuto's post starting "I know, I was just trying to relate it..."
JoshTheftAuto said:
I know, I was just trying to relate it to windows in some way lol. Now beryl is what gives it awesome effects. like burning the window, wobbly windows, the infamous desktop cube and so on.
Ahh. That does sound pretty sweet. Well, is Beryl like a WM altogether or do you use it along side another WM? I have Slackware installed on a box at home which I could try running it on.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-04-24, 12:57 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Ahh. That does sound pretty sweet...."
It is it's own window manager. It's so bad ass, look at the video if you can, I'm at work hence why I posted this I'm bored as shit.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

JoshTheftAuto

Posted 2007-04-24, 04:23 PM in reply to JoshTheftAuto's post starting "It is it's own window manager. It's so..."
it runs the desktop in OpenGL mode, in the same way that vista uses that aero shit to run it in DirectX. it's a bloatware technology that nobody in the world actually needs
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Mantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Mantralord

Posted 2007-04-24, 08:22 PM in reply to Mantralord's post starting "it runs the desktop in OpenGL mode, in..."
Nobody needs it, but it looks awesome.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

JoshTheftAuto

Posted 2007-04-26, 05:56 AM in reply to JoshTheftAuto's post starting "Nobody needs it, but it looks awesome."
that is why we have global warming
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Mantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Mantralord

Posted 2007-04-27, 11:49 AM in reply to Mantralord's post starting "that is why we have global warming"
Yes, we have global fucking warming because of an OS. Stick to the topic lol.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

JoshTheftAuto

Posted 2007-04-27, 12:10 PM in reply to JoshTheftAuto's post starting "Yes, we have global fucking warming..."
I believe he is refering to wastefull "cool things" in general.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2007-04-27, 05:23 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "I believe he is refering to wastefull..."
It's all about presentation. I'd love to work on one of those *nix boxes just because the whole 3d concept sounds amazing.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-04-28, 06:53 AM in reply to JoshTheftAuto's post "Ubuntu + Beryl"
Ubuntu = I can't handle a REAL version of Linux.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
khwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzkhwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

khwiii

Posted 2007-04-28, 09:41 AM in reply to khwiii's post starting "Ubuntu = I can't handle a REAL version..."
Haha, it's pretty user-friendly, I'm not into Linux as much as a bunch of my friends and they told me about Ubuntu. The Linux kernel is so damn good. All the programs load so fast and smoothe unlike windows.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

JoshTheftAuto

Posted 2007-04-28, 11:07 AM in reply to JoshTheftAuto's post starting "Haha, it's pretty user-friendly, I'm..."
Ah.. I am just messin with you... I am very sarcastic.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
khwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzkhwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

khwiii

Posted 2007-04-28, 11:57 PM in reply to khwiii's post starting "Ah.. I am just messin with you... I..."
Josh, you've actually convinced me to download Ubuntu + Beryl. If I need any assistance, would it be alright if I instant messaged you?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-04-29, 05:45 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Josh, you've actually convinced me to..."
What is this Ubuntu + Beryl? And if it kicks so much ass, is there a mac version?
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2007-04-29, 10:04 AM in reply to JoshTheftAuto's post "Ubuntu + Beryl"
Did you know that in your sig, the white is transparent unless you're using IE6 or lower? That makes it black on very dark color on Synthesis.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2007-04-29, 02:24 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Did you know that in your sig, the..."
Im too retarded to fuck with this.

My laptop is too important to me haha if i messed something up just to have some snazzy features id kick my own ass.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish

Posted 2007-05-05, 06:17 AM
How do you get ubuntu?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
king cupa is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenking cupa is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

king cupa

Posted 2007-05-06, 08:52 AM in reply to king cupa's post starting "How do you get ubuntu?"
http://www.ubuntu.com/
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes