Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Post Ghz Vs. Mhz?
Posted 2003-01-09, 06:58 AM
What is the difference between the two I always see the new comps usually advertising like 2.4 Ghz and maybe 400-700 Mhz?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JohnnyTAE is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJohnnyTAE is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

JohnnyTAE

Posted 2003-01-09, 08:30 AM in reply to JohnnyTAE's post "Ghz Vs. Mhz?"
JohnnyTAE said:
What is the difference between the two I always see the new comps usually advertising like 2.4 Ghz and maybe 400-700 Mhz?
Dood The difference is between mhz and ghz is like...

Mhz = old fat slow guy wearing sandals...
Ghz = young punk soaring through the city streets in a BMW

recap: Mhz=slow, old ... Ghz: New, Hot, & Fast
Get it ?

Life's been sucked out of me
And this routine's killing me
I did it to myself, I did it to myself, I said it would not be
Somebody put me out of my misery

Last edited by oMeNTaLiTYo; 2003-01-09 at 08:32 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
oMeNTaLiTYo is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenoMeNTaLiTYo is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

oMeNTaLiTYo

Posted 2003-01-09, 08:54 AM in reply to JohnnyTAE's post "Ghz Vs. Mhz?"
Generally, 1,000 Mega is 1 Giga. In other words, a 2.4 GHz computer would be equal to a 2,400 MHz one.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2003-01-09, 08:58 AM in reply to JohnnyTAE's post "Ghz Vs. Mhz?"
actually chruser no, it's 1024mega = 1 giga OLD OLD OLD dos theory classes actually work
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Randuin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Randuin

Posted 2003-01-09, 09:18 AM in reply to JohnnyTAE's post "Ghz Vs. Mhz?"
It depends. Frequency is base 10. Data storage/transfer is base 2 (which means that 1K is 2^10, or 1024).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2003-01-09, 12:07 PM in reply to JohnnyTAE's post "Ghz Vs. Mhz?"
okay, that was all too technical for me...
Life's been sucked out of me
And this routine's killing me
I did it to myself, I did it to myself, I said it would not be
Somebody put me out of my misery
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
oMeNTaLiTYo is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenoMeNTaLiTYo is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

oMeNTaLiTYo

Posted 2003-01-09, 02:59 PM in reply to JohnnyTAE's post "Ghz Vs. Mhz?"
Randuin said:
actually chruser no, it's 1024mega = 1 giga OLD OLD OLD dos theory classes actually work
That isnt really correct too. You begin with BYTES not megas.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Mr.Lee is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMr.Lee is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Mr.Lee

Posted 2003-01-09, 03:28 PM in reply to JohnnyTAE's post "Ghz Vs. Mhz?"
WW is right. End of discussion. Shutup. All of you. Stfu.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2003-01-09, 03:30 PM in reply to JohnnyTAE's post "Ghz Vs. Mhz?"
oh ok thats what I thought it was was for but sometimes I see like 2.4 ghz then off a bit more it'll say something like 700mhz is that the speed of the bus or what?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JohnnyTAE is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJohnnyTAE is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

JohnnyTAE

Posted 2003-01-09, 04:05 PM in reply to JohnnyTAE's post "Ghz Vs. Mhz?"
Yeah, there's external and internal bus speeds. Having a meat grinder that can grind 2 tons of meat a day is useless if you can only get 100 pounds per day to it, to use an analogy.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2003-01-09, 04:45 PM in reply to JohnnyTAE's post "Ghz Vs. Mhz?"
Mhz= Megahartz
GHz= Gigahartz

MB= Megabite
GB= Gigabite
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hades-Knight is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hades-Knight

Posted 2003-01-09, 05:08 PM in reply to JohnnyTAE's post "Ghz Vs. Mhz?"
You mean hertz and bytes?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2003-01-09, 09:53 PM in reply to JohnnyTAE's post "Ghz Vs. Mhz?"
WetWired said:
Yeah, there's external and internal bus speeds. Having a meat grinder that can grind 2 tons of meat a day is useless if you can only get 100 pounds per day to it, to use an analogy.
Ok thanxz for the info. Another good analogy is comparing it too a constipated man
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

JohnnyTAE

Posted 2008-09-18, 03:28 PM in reply to JohnnyTAE's post starting "Ok thanxz for the info. Another good..."
Damn you! I got all excited thinking that Johnny was back. >.<
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-09-18, 03:33 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "Damn you! I got all excited thinking..."
Two bits in a bite.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-09-21, 07:25 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Two bits in a bite."
D3V said: [Goto]
Two bits in a bite.

Four bits in a nibble.

Eight bits in a byte.

1024 bytes in a kilo byte.

1024 kilo bytes in a mega byte.

1024 mega bytes in a giga byte.

1024 giga bytes in a tera byte.

1024 tera bytes in a peta byte.

1024 peta bytes in a exa byte.

1024 exa bytes in a zetta byte.

1024 zetta bytes in a yotta byte.

I think that about sums up what I wanted to write.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List

Last edited by Goodlookinguy; 2008-11-15 at 09:34 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-09-22, 10:36 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Four bits in a nibble. Eight bits in..."
Exabyte, rather then erobyte. Then Zetta-, and then Yotta-.

And tera- is a single "r".
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-09-22, 10:56 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Exabyte, rather then erobyte. Then..."
Wow, I feel like I can pass the A+ cert test after scrolling through this thread, thanks for the refresher =)

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-09-22, 02:36 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Wow, I feel like I can pass the A+ cert..."
0100 0101 There, now you can complete A+ Cert.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2008-09-22, 03:31 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "0100 0101 There, now you can complete..."
And I just google'd a picture of a dot matrix printer, FTW.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V