Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Comp. parts
Posted 2005-07-11, 02:51 PM
Well, im looking at buying a few new parts to build a new comp. It is low budget and since im Canadian I can not use Newegg. If you know sites that are cheaper than this let me know. The site is www.cellarcomputers.com

Motehrboard:the first one on the list - $60.00 - built in 6 channel audio, ethernet port, 2.0GB PC3200 DDR memory, 2 DIMMS
http://www.cellarcomputers.com/index...t=G&order=pasc

Processor:The first one at 2.4ghz - $181.00
http://www.cellarcomputers.com/index...B+100JB+200JBB

Case: 4th one down, AOpen QF50B Midtower Black - $60.00
http://www.cellarcomputers.com/index...AGER_section=4

60+60+181=301x1.15(taxes)=346.15- not sure what delivery is yet.

So, what do you think? Mind you I have 2x40gb HDD, CD Burner, Wireless internet card. And everything else I would need.
"why I've gotta be one of the cool kids just to walk by/
- without being tripped, thrown down on the ground and kicked/
Insulting me for no reason, I was treated like shit/
The teachers let it happen/
I've even seen some of them teachers laughing/
That's why I had a smile on my face when I started blastin/" - Ill Bill - The Anatomy of a School Shooting
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Original Sin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenOriginal Sin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Original Sin

Posted 2005-07-11, 03:00 PM in reply to Original Sin's post "Comp. parts"
Well, first I'd reccomend AMD over Pentium, but if you changed your processor, you'd have to change your mobo too.

Second, you'll want to reconsider your case, at least for PSU reasons. A 300 watt power supply is a little on the low end if you have 2 HDDs, 2 optical drives, and a medium-to-high-end video card. If you end up adding extra case fans, you might run out of power connectors.

So, I'd say get a case with a 400 watt power supply.

Also, you'll need some ram. I'd suggest 1gb dual channel pc3200 (2x512mb sticks).

Then there's a video card, of course. The 6600 is one of the best for the money today. It's relatively cheap.

If you're building from scratch, you'll probably also want to get a couple of (extra?) case fans, some thermal paste for the cpu, and a high-rated cpu fan/heat sync.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-07-11, 04:34 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Well, first I'd reccomend AMD over..."
Motherboard and processor are fine for me. I am on a budget here. How about this 450watt power:2nd form the top: $21
http://www.cellarcomputers.com/index...0CC&order=pasc

One of these two cases, top two that is:$39
http://www.cellarcomputers.com/index...0CB&order=pasc
the ram is DDR 512mb 400 PC3200 each at 60 bucks.

so....60+181+21+39=301x1.15=346.15....but if I add 512mb ram I get:415.15 and 1gb of ram gets me at 484.15....hmm. I may be able to get ram cheaper here but not sure.

its about $20 for shipping so with 2x512mb its a bit over $500.but with 1 stick its at $438. hmmm

The bright side is, im selling my PII 266mhz 160mb ram 4gbhdd with an ethernet card, 56k modem card, 5.1 surround sound card which should get me a small amount...but its better than nothing. the 8x cd drive is worth nothing.

God I need a job....
That's why I had a smile on my face when I started blastin/" - Ill Bill - The Anatomy of a School Shooting

Last edited by Original Sin; 2005-07-11 at 04:41 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Original Sin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenOriginal Sin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Original Sin

Posted 2005-07-11, 07:19 PM in reply to Original Sin's post starting "Motherboard and processor are fine for..."
The PSU's not bad, but I'd reccomend the first case on that list over the 2nd one because it has more fan mounts. You're giving up 1 bay, but so what, I say. You may have problems with overheating with only one fan.

Also, if you get a gig of ram (2x512mb sticks) make SURE you buy a dual channel kit. (It'll be both sticks of ram in one package.) Simply buying two of the same ram stick may not guarantee dual channel capability.

Other than that, case fans (~$5 a pop), thermal paste (~$4-10), good fan and heat sync (~$20-30), and a floppy drive (~$15).
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-07-11, 07:31 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "The PSU's not bad, but I'd reccomend..."
Good advice Bob, I'd have to agree with you on the AMD thing.

Sin your budget should be able to include a comparable AMD set, If you're using Intel right now and you switch, It'll be like switching from a retard that can run marathons fast to a genious that can run a marathon, talk on the phone, eat pretzels, and jerk off at the same time, if you get my analogy.

(I'll give you $5paypal to not get intel)

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2005-07-12, 12:19 PM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "Good advice Bob, I'd have to agree with..."
39(case bob recommended)+21(fan-450watt)+76(mobo)+126(processor)+16-20(fan, tell me which ones-2 of them for now)+20(shipping)=347.3(with tax)

Mobo:Second one, even though processor is only 333mhz bus speed,m I like the extra ram slot
http://www.cellarcomputers.com/index...0GA&order=pasc

AMD Processor:Last one from the bottom: Sempron 2.0ghz 333mhz
http://www.cellarcomputers.com/index...A+100JA+200JAA

One question, wouldn't a 2.4hgz P4 processor be better than a 2.0ghz AMD? Remember, I wanna stay below $500 on this project, so the last 113 dollars will go towards dual channel ram(yes, i'll go over my budget some...but fuck what ever...may just get 512mb for now...hmm)

Does that sound good, or should I go with the intel P4 2.4ghz setup since an AMD 2.4ghz is over 500 dollars(site only has Sempron and 64 processors)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Original Sin

Posted 2005-07-12, 12:25 PM in reply to Original Sin's post starting "39(case bob..."
You'll have to link me to fan choices (don't have too much time to surf at work).

Also, I don't know anything about Sempron processors... If you were asking if a 2.4ghz Pentium 4 was better than a 2.0ghz Athlon 64, then I would say definately not--not by a long shot. However, I can't guarantee the same for a Sempron. I think you should shop around for a cheaper Athlon 64-bit processor and mobo. Pricewatch has Athlon 64-bitters around $150, so I know you can get something cheaper than that website you're linking.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-07-12, 12:53 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "You'll have to link me to fan choices..."
Well, this is a comp to hold me up to next year when my parnets by me a new one for University. That's why it is a low budget comp.

Unless Andrenachrome says anything, i'm going with the P4 2.4ghz--runs cooler to though.

fans: http://www.cellarcomputers.com/index...EAA&order=pasc

there you go. And BTW, im not cheap, just don't have a job and so I have limited funds.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Original Sin

Posted 2005-07-12, 01:14 PM in reply to Original Sin's post starting "Well, this is a comp to hold me up to..."
All Pentiums run cooler than AMDs. That's just how it is.

Be advised, though, that a Pentium can't compare in performance to an AMD of comparable price.

On fans, you're going to want either
80x20mm CeraDyna Fan 2-Pin (1280-A1012D) (if your mobo has a 2-pin)
80mm CeraDyna Fan 3-Pin (1280-A1063E) (if your mobo has a 3-pin connector)
or
80mm Ceradyna Fan LP4 (1280-A2033E) (if your mobo doesn't have either)

Typical mobos, from what I've seen, have a pair of 2-pin or 3-pin fan connectors, but one of them is for the cpu fan. So, you're going to want to get at least one of the ATX powered fans.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob