Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

View Poll Results: More FMV's = Less Variety of Gameplay?!
FMV's are hazardous to our health! 3 37.50%
FMV's are pretty much OK and besides they're GREAT eye candy. 7 87.50%
Don't care. 3 37.50%
FMV's are OK just don't make them take up much disc space...TT_TT 3 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Post Of FMV's and Gameplay
Posted 2003-10-02, 01:35 AM
Is it just me or those FF games take up too much disc space in order to make FMV's and skimp on the gameplay?! I really have to hand it to FFVII, it was a game with FMV and gameplay most balanced of the entire polygonal species of the upper FF titles (VII to whatever). I played FFVIII and FFIX and I must say I was pretty disappointed because it was just too damn short with all those FMV's popping all over the place. FMV's are real pretty, but what we really need is addictive and serious gameplay!
Life is short.
Let's all grab a BEER~~~!!!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Cerridwen is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenCerridwen is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Cerridwen

Posted 2003-10-02, 02:04 AM in reply to Cerridwen's post "Of FMV's and Gameplay"
I think it's funny that you made a checklist poll.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2003-10-02, 02:38 AM in reply to Cerridwen's post "Of FMV's and Gameplay"
I like FMV, but I don't consider it necessary. Skies of Arcadia Legends had no FMV, and it was an awesome game.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2003-10-02, 04:00 AM in reply to Cerridwen's post "Of FMV's and Gameplay"
I think FMV are great yet not necessary.
(but greatly appreciated)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja

Posted 2003-10-02, 09:34 PM in reply to Cerridwen's post "Of FMV's and Gameplay"
Well, I HAD to know what other RPG players here think, Robotic Silence. And besides, even if there are no FMVs, it doesn't mean that the RPG in question is dull and boring to death. I loved the Suikoden series, and they had no FMVs, just little skits. But do you think if the FF games have no FMVs, would it mean that other people won't play it anymore? Just curious...
Life is short.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Cerridwen is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenCerridwen is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Cerridwen

Posted 2003-10-02, 09:42 PM in reply to Cerridwen's post "Of FMV's and Gameplay"
Hmm, I do find that it was a problem with PSOne FF's and space (caused a lot of disc swapping) and occasionally I hated having a boss fight right after a long one (a long talk scene wouldn't be any different)

Thankfully, the DVD-ROM has (at least, temporarily) solved the disc swapping issue. As for length, keep them short and sweet.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Rurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Rurouni Storm

Posted 2003-10-03, 05:44 AM in reply to Cerridwen's post "Of FMV's and Gameplay"
That's SO right.

And then there's this problem of having the game "hang" like so, and then you realize that when you reset it again, you haven't saved up to that crucial save point. AAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHH~~~~~!!!
Life is short.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Cerridwen

Posted 2003-10-03, 09:51 AM in reply to Cerridwen's post "Of FMV's and Gameplay"
Cerridwen said:
Well, I HAD to know what other RPG players here think, Robotic Silence
What he means is that it is funny that you made a poll where one can choose multiple answers. Look at the results and compare them to the number of people who voted.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2003-10-03, 07:40 PM in reply to Cerridwen's post "Of FMV's and Gameplay"
Sorry about that! I should've made a CLEARER poll. ^____^;;
Life is short.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Cerridwen

Posted 2003-10-04, 01:01 PM in reply to Cerridwen's post "Of FMV's and Gameplay"
FMV's rule...I think they sometimes sorta hold the story together...

The 3 best ones where...

1. Sephiroth walking through the fire...
2. Sephiroth Stabbing Aries...
3. Kuja going into trance...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Juggalo is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJuggalo is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Juggalo

Posted 2003-10-04, 01:22 PM in reply to Cerridwen's post "Of FMV's and Gameplay"
yea...FMVs rule.but in some games,like FFX,they should of cut back on them a little.sure they look cool,but, some people would rather play the game than just watch FMVs.FFVII has shown me though,that it can handle FMVs and gameplay well,but not FFX.
"What you have feared has come to life.What you have thought was a nightmare,was certainly real.You will now feel the pain i felt!!!!"- Evil Kashante Megikekuu.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kashante is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKashante is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kashante

Posted 2003-10-04, 06:15 PM in reply to Cerridwen's post "Of FMV's and Gameplay"
Cerridwen said:
Sorry about that! I should've made a CLEARER poll. ^____^;;
Just ask and I think one of us mods can fix it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Rurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Rurouni Storm

Posted 2003-10-05, 08:17 PM in reply to Cerridwen's post "Of FMV's and Gameplay"
FMV are really just a lil break i take from all that gaming i kick back and relax. I compare how much they enchance their FMV every ff, but there should be more gameplay involve yet their going the opposite way.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gpkyo is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweengpkyo is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

gpkyo

Posted 2003-10-08, 09:35 AM in reply to Cerridwen's post "Of FMV's and Gameplay"
Ok. HELP MODs, HEEEEEELLLLPPPPP~~~~~!!!
Life is short.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Cerridwen

Posted 2003-10-08, 08:56 PM in reply to Cerridwen's post "Of FMV's and Gameplay"
Sorry, I can't fix it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Rurouni Storm

Posted 2003-10-11, 12:46 AM in reply to Cerridwen's post "Of FMV's and Gameplay"
Gee, thanks anyway, Rurouni. Your help was much appreciated.

Please, any kindhearted moderator out there...could you kindly fix my poll? I could, but then again I'm NOT a moderator. Pretty PLEASE~~~?!
Life is short.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Cerridwen

Posted 2003-10-11, 11:03 AM in reply to Cerridwen's post "Of FMV's and Gameplay"
I dont think it can be fixed.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja

Posted 2003-10-11, 11:45 AM in reply to Cerridwen's post "Of FMV's and Gameplay"
FMV's are an esential part to tie stories together. but they need to keep them a little shorter.
i must not fear. fear is the mind killer. i will face my fears and when they are gone only i will remain.
Clan Laomainn.
Ne Parcas Nec Spernas.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
haplo is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenhaplo is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

haplo

Posted 2003-10-11, 12:07 PM in reply to Cerridwen's post "Of FMV's and Gameplay"
Actualy it depend.
I think FMV size should be based on how important the event is.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kuja

Posted 2003-10-12, 03:32 PM in reply to Cerridwen's post "Of FMV's and Gameplay"
haplo said:
FMV's are an esential part to tie stories together. but they need to keep them a little shorter.
None of the Final Fantasies prior to 7 had FMVs, and I can name two at the very least that have much better plots than 7. FMVs are a nice bonus, but they're not integral in any fashion. They don't tie the story together at all. All they do is add cinematic quality to the action sequences. You need text and conversation to really further the plot. An FMV of Aeris' death certainly pushes the story along, but it's meaningless without the text to explain how the characters react to her death. FMVs enhance the story, but they're not necessary at all.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel