Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Posted 2007-09-18, 10:08 AM
Shite. I've recently finished reading Stephen King's The Stand. I had a cold just after I'd started it, which freaked me out, and even now colds freak me out a bit.

Anyone who is familiar with the book will know what I'm on about. And if you're not familiar with it, then read it! It's a brilliant book.

Hope you get better soon.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-09-18, 10:15 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Shite. I've recently finished reading..."
I watched the movie, it was pretty awesome. Haven't read the book, maybe I will.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-09-18, 10:19 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I watched the movie, it was pretty..."
They've made a film of it?! My word... either it was twenty hours long, or the scriptwriters missed a lot out.

You really should read the book, it's great. Plus, as with most King adaptations (or so I'm told), the films come nowhere near the book in terms of atmosphere and psychological things. Kinda like H. P. Lovercraft - it's something that's better imagined than shown on a screen.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-09-18, 10:20 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "They've made a film of it?! My word......"
It's like 8 hours long, in 4 parts I think.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-09-18, 10:27 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "It's like 8 hours long, in 4 parts I..."
Ah, good stuff. That's the way to do it. Methinks I might find that and give it a watch.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2007-09-18, 10:36 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Ah, good stuff. That's the way to do..."
Yeah it's a great movie I've seen it, they did like a 4 day marathon on the SCI-FI channel about a year ago featuring that movie, actually I believe it was a Stephen King marathon, they had IT and Langoliers (spelling).

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-09-19, 01:28 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Shite. I've recently finished reading..."
Lenny said:
Shite. I've recently finished reading Stephen King's The Stand. I had a cold just after I'd started it, which freaked me out, and even now colds freak me out a bit.

Anyone who is familiar with the book will know what I'm on about. And if you're not familiar with it, then read it! It's a brilliant book.

Hope you get better soon.
I loved that book so much I read it twice. Such a great read. I didn't even know there was a movie for it. I'm gonna have to check that out.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-09-19, 06:48 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Yeah it's a great movie I've seen it,..."
You guys are making me want to get into reading with all these books.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-09-20, 09:52 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "I loved that book so much I read it..."
Have you read the unabridged edition? King decided to have the novel re-published, with a lot of what was cut out when it was first published. I think it adds an extra 200 pages to the total.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2007-09-20, 09:57 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Have you read the unabridged edition?..."
I believe that's the version I have. It's well over 1,000 pages.

Do you know specific parts that were added to the unabridged version? I could tell you if I remember them or not.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-09-20, 10:17 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "I believe that's the version I have...."
I don't know about specific scenes, but the year it's set in is different. The original is set in 1980, whilst the unabridged version is set in 1990 (and I've just found out it was published in 1990).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2007-09-20, 10:27 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I don't know about specific scenes, but..."
Go get the movie Lenny.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-09-20, 10:35 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I don't know about specific scenes, but..."
After looking at Wikipedia I definitely have the uncut and unabridged version. I haven't read the original but I don't think I'd like it as much.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Thanatos

Posted 2007-09-20, 10:36 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "After looking at Wikipedia I definitely..."
I'm going to be trying to get my hands on this book pretty soon. I've never read it, but it sounds awesome.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-09-20, 10:53 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I'm going to be trying to get my hands..."
You really should. Stephen King really does a great job in molding the characters in this book. And the plot is brilliantly unique. If you like post-apocalyptic horror, check it out.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Thanatos

Posted 2007-09-20, 06:02 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "It's like 8 hours long, in 4 parts I..."
!King_Amazon! said:
It's like 8 hours long, in 4 parts I think.
It's six hours, four 90 minute portions. I own the DVD set.

I've read the book maybe three times, seen the movie too many damned times. Great story.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2007-09-20, 06:59 PM in reply to Raziel's post starting "It's six hours, four 90 minute..."
I loved the book and the movie was amazing. i own all of SK's movies too. IT was my favorite of all, that fucken clown
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2007-09-20, 08:38 PM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "I loved the book and the movie was..."
Have you seen 1408 yet? I'd say it's probably one of his better movies. It was in theaters not too long ago.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-09-21, 07:38 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Have you seen 1408 yet? I'd say it's..."
Havent seen it yet, but im excited for the video.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2007-10-08, 08:38 PM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "Havent seen it yet, but im excited for..."
If you like the post-apocalyptic type books, try Swan Song by Robert McCammon. A lot like The Stand but a much quicker read!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
bookgirl is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenbookgirl is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

bookgirl