Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Question Downgrading from Vista to XP
Posted 2007-12-28, 08:17 AM
Hello, hello

I'm in somewhat of a perdicament.

Okay, to start off a few months back I purchased a new Toshiba satellite Laptop for school and such (basically between houses, etc whenever I need it it's there to use) Great stats on it, dual core 2gigs of ram 256 dedicated video with another 500+ shared video, and YET, my games aren't playing anywhere near top notch. I can't hardly play any older games such as Diablo/starcraft even older Roller coaster tycoon games won't run without having to screw around with compatibility, and the general processing of music/transferring files etc. isn't even that fast. And I have one thing to thank for this.

Vista.

I mean, Vista DOES have alot of great features, it's a very fun OS, cool options, runs very very smoothly, haven't crashed at all (then again I DO have a new computer) but I just downloaded SP1 and there hasn't been relatively any changes that I can notice, which sucks.

Now, I would like to correctly downgrade, but I don't think that I have the correct version of Vista, so I may just have to do a reinstallation of the entire OS.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...8&pageNumber=2

I'll just need some time to think over this decision, but any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-12-28, 10:37 PM in reply to D3V's post "Downgrading from Vista to XP"
ugh this is not what i wanted to hear i'm getting a new laptop with basically the same specs as you and was hoping to play the games i am now like WoW with high settings... i've haven't fully researched downgrading but with store bought laptops if you do a full reinstallation i read that like maybe a part of a computer would screw up because of drivers and stuff

I also read you gotta like find all these drivers for your specific parts of your computer that work with XP

my computer is coming in soon and i'm probably going to want to do this too

Last edited by iceman887; 2007-12-28 at 10:44 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
iceman887 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweeniceman887 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

iceman887

Posted 2007-12-29, 07:30 AM in reply to D3V's post "Downgrading from Vista to XP"
"Downgrade"?
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2007-12-30, 11:50 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting ""Downgrade"?"
Chruser said:
"Downgrade"?
I agree. Go for windows XP you won't regret it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
sheerx is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweensheerx is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

sheerx

too lazy to log in
Posted 2007-12-31, 02:27 AM in reply to D3V's post "Downgrading from Vista to XP"
D3V said:
Hello, hello

I'm in somewhat of a perdicament.

Okay, to start off a few months back I purchased a new Toshiba satellite Laptop for school and such (basically between houses, etc whenever I need it it's there to use) Great stats on it, dual core 2gigs of ram 256 dedicated video with another 500+ shared video, and YET, my games aren't playing anywhere near top notch. I can't hardly play any older games such as Diablo/starcraft even older Roller coaster tycoon games won't run without having to screw around with compatibility, and the general processing of music/transferring files etc. isn't even that fast. And I have one thing to thank for this.

Vista.

I mean, Vista DOES have alot of great features, it's a very fun OS, cool options, runs very very smoothly, haven't crashed at all (then again I DO have a new computer) but I just downloaded SP1 and there hasn't been relatively any changes that I can notice, which sucks.

Now, I would like to correctly downgrade, but I don't think that I have the correct version of Vista, so I may just have to do a reinstallation of the entire OS.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...8&pageNumber=2

I'll just need some time to think over this decision, but any advice would be great.

Thanks!
ya, there is no differences you can see, just major speed boosts, if you honestly go back to XP, you might not regret it at first, but you eventually will, once you lose all your extra features...trust me....but whatever, be a douche, this is just why you were voted most retarded on the forum
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Micdawg

Posted 2007-12-31, 08:41 AM in reply to Micdawg's post "too lazy to log in"
Even guests see through your shit, D3v. It's game over.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2007-12-31, 10:34 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "Even guests see through your shit, D3v...."
what extra features are there on vista that are really useful?? i'm about to return this hp i got and get a dell with xp home..?? i mean is vista that useful i mean i could always go get vista if i wanted and install it right??
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
iceman887 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweeniceman887 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

iceman887

Posted 2008-03-03, 11:28 AM in reply to Micdawg's post "too lazy to log in"
Micdawg said:
ya, there is no differences you can see, just major speed boosts, if you honestly go back to XP, you might not regret it at first, but you eventually will, once you lose all your extra features...trust me....but whatever, be a douche, this is just why you were voted most retarded on the forum
Wtf? You're a complete moron. There aren't hardly even any feature worth keeping that I can't get a free version of somewhere else. XP has the basic functions I desire anyways, and Vista still isn't keeping up with it's service packs, and I am not going to upgrade my laptop, it is fine where it's at. A year ago it would've been top notch for it's specs, and with XP I can help it get back on track with my older games.

I'm currently skipping around and lagging behind a bit with Counter Strike source which used to run just fine on my old desktop with much lower specs. I'm going to downgrade eventually as I've gone over every aspect of it, just unsure of as to when.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-03-07, 02:23 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Wtf? You're a complete moron. There..."
D3V said:
Wtf? You're a complete moron. There aren't hardly even any feature worth keeping that I can't get a free version of somewhere else. XP has the basic functions I desire anyways, and Vista still isn't keeping up with it's service packs, and I am not going to upgrade my laptop, it is fine where it's at. A year ago it would've been top notch for it's specs, and with XP I can help it get back on track with my older games.

I'm currently skipping around and lagging behind a bit with Counter Strike source which used to run just fine on my old desktop with much lower specs. I'm going to downgrade eventually as I've gone over every aspect of it, just unsure of as to when.
I've downgraded one computer so far. Make sure to get the graphics and all the drivers backed up on a drive before doing it. Format the hard drive disk. Install, then the drivers and it will come out all right.

Problems: -This is only Laptop related- If you bought a Laptop pre-installed with Windows Vista, there is a good chance that the drivers you're looking for are not available. LaptopVideo2go will have the graphics drivers, but other drivers you are looking for are most likely not available.
----
Downgrade your computer, I downgraded my brother’s computer, and it is running so incredibly fast under XP, whilst Vista made is hellishly slow.

If you don't want to downgrade: There are alternatives. I can't downgrade my Laptop because there are no internet and sound drivers for it, so as an alternative to making it like XP, I bought "WindowBlinds v6." There is a theme I downloaded, and now my vista looks just like XP.

Suggestions to Speeding up slow Vista: Click on the lower left area, right next to the windows logo in the circle, click on properties. Click the start menu tab, and from there click over the "Classic Start Menu"

Now if you applied both the WindowBlinds XP on Vista Theme, and the Classic Menu, your PC should be running a tad bit faster. Mine is anyways.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy