Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Khunian Revolutions
Posted 2007-09-26, 04:05 PM
I'm just trying to think of all the one's there have been, so if you can think of any more please list them for me. So far I've got:

Galileo (Astronomy)
Newton (Physics)
Darwin (Evolution)
Mendel (Genetics)
Maxwell (Electrostatics)
Einstein (Special Relativity, General Relativity, Quantum Mechanics)

If you don't know what a Khunian revolution is, it's basically a paradigm change, a paradigm basically being the basis that other theories are formed on. So for instance, Einstein's theory of relativity replaced Newtonian relativity. Newton's theories replaced the ancient God theories, and other theories of planetary motion, kinematics and everything else were built off of that. I'm writing a paper arguing against the notion of Khunian revolutions being common-place for my English class. Any more ideas would be awesome.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-09-26, 04:14 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Khunian Revolutions"
What do you mean common place? As if those people are everywhere or born every day? If so, that's an absured notion. It's so obvious in everyday life that 90% of the population are simply idiots.

Last edited by Kaneda; 2007-09-26 at 04:17 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kaneda is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kaneda

Posted 2007-09-26, 04:27 PM in reply to Kaneda's post starting "What do you mean common place? As if..."
Kaneda said:
What do you mean common place? As if those people are everywhere or born every day? If so, that's an absured notion. It's so obvious in everyday life that 90% of the population are simply idiots.
Well, I mean the revolution itself being common-place, not the scientists. And by commonplace I mean multiple revolutions in a common mans life time. For instance, if the laws of thermodynamics were shown to be inaccurate, that would be a scientific revolution.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-09-26, 04:34 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Khunian Revolutions"
What about the discovery of the Atom, as well as some of Tesla's research? I know both of those made some big waves, but I don't know if they're big enough to be considered a revolution.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-09-26, 11:57 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "What about the discovery of the Atom,..."
What about some great Philosophers?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-09-27, 12:47 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "What about some great Philosophers?"
Well, philosophers are great, but I doubt that any of them really contributed much to a scientific revolution, which is what I'm after in this paper. Volls, I'll look into those two and see if I can incorporate them. Thanks.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-09-27, 05:18 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Well, philosophers are great, but I..."
I'm sure an argument could be made for it but I'm too lazy. *gives up* =P
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-09-27, 09:18 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Khunian Revolutions"
You may be able to find something similar if you look up Auguste Comte. He postulated that the science of a time period represented a certain stage of history. Very basically, he said Theological Stage -> Metaphysical Stage -> Scientific Stage -> Sociological Stage
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2007-09-28, 04:49 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "What about some great Philosophers?"
Willkillforfood said:
What about some great Philosophers?
I think he's looking more for Physical/Biological/etc sciences rather than Social Sciences.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-09-30, 09:13 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "I think he's looking more for..."
Copernicus - I'm pretty sure Kuhn used that example in the book, though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller