Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

What video game has influenced your love of video games the most?
Posted 2011-01-20, 10:09 PM
for me it would have been pokemon blue version. sure i played video games before but this game is what drove me to be almost addicted to video games. i would play this 8 hours a day nonstop.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
josephhb is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenjosephhb is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

josephhb

Posted 2011-01-24, 10:21 AM in reply to josephhb's post "What video game has influenced your..."
I'm not sure if you're a bot or not, but i'm bored and I think i'll write out my own story.

Growing up, I remember playing the early versions of Nintendo. There were the Mario games, Punch out, etc. All the classics I can remember playing almost everything. But at a young age, it never dawned to me that I actually loved video games, back then it was just to burn time when I had nothing better to do. Around age 10ish I got into Chrono Trigger. This could be where the upswing in gaming really clicked to me. I'm not sure who all has played it, but for SNES it was game-changing. RPG's were my new love, I couldn't get enough of this game. I felt as if I was living another reality, it was monumental. Somewhere around Jr High I finally got a decent enough computer to run Starcraft and from there, I was addicted.

Sure, Diablo I was fun and my friends all played it, but I didn't care I was more into Starcraft. I got hooked and the competition of the game definitely got me hooked. I got into Diablo 2 pretty heavy as well, and console games never quite gave me that niche I was looking for. I played other FPS shooters during this game like Counter Strike and eventually got into some Battlefield, but that was later on.

Ultimately I upgraded to the highest gaming drug available, World of Warcraft. Somewhere near 2005 or 2006 I got into the game with some of my buddies who also had played other games on Battle.net, and from there the story continues. It was like I had opened a plethora gaming world, with almost unliminted possiblites. I got swamped in and played nearly every day for a year straight. It was bad, it was a literal addiction, but don't you love what you're addicted to? That is the ultimate question.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2011-01-24, 02:03 PM in reply to josephhb's post "What video game has influenced your..."
It has to be shareware games of the 80s. Kingdom of Kroz, Lumpies of Lotus, etc.
And then there was Doom. I've spent untold hours building worlds in Doom, trying to create things the engine was clearly not designed to support.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2011-01-24, 07:15 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I'm not sure if you're a bot or not,..."
D3V said: [Goto]
I'm not sure if you're a bot or not, but i'm bored and I think i'll write out my own story.

Growing up, I remember playing the early versions of Nintendo. There were the Mario games, Punch out, etc. All the classics I can remember playing almost everything. But at a young age, it never dawned to me that I actually loved video games, back then it was just to burn time when I had nothing better to do. Around age 10ish I got into Chrono Trigger. This could be where the upswing in gaming really clicked to me. I'm not sure who all has played it, but for SNES it was game-changing. RPG's were my new love, I couldn't get enough of this game. I felt as if I was living another reality, it was monumental. Somewhere around Jr High I finally got a decent enough computer to run Starcraft and from there, I was addicted.

Sure, Diablo I was fun and my friends all played it, but I didn't care I was more into Starcraft. I got hooked and the competition of the game definitely got me hooked. I got into Diablo 2 pretty heavy as well, and console games never quite gave me that niche I was looking for. I played other FPS shooters during this game like Counter Strike and eventually got into some Battlefield, but that was later on.

Ultimately I upgraded to the highest gaming drug available, World of Warcraft. Somewhere near 2005 or 2006 I got into the game with some of my buddies who also had played other games on Battle.net, and from there the story continues. It was like I had opened a plethora gaming world, with almost unliminted possiblites. I got swamped in and played nearly every day for a year straight. It was bad, it was a literal addiction, but don't you love what you're addicted to? That is the ultimate question.
This covers mine pretty well. SNES is mainly where it started for me, or at least when I got hooked.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2011-01-24, 09:36 PM in reply to josephhb's post "What video game has influenced your..."
Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition for the Sega Genesis.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2011-01-25, 09:41 AM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition for..."
Super Mario Bros. III - period.

First game I ever beat and that memory will forever be burned into my head
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
S2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeS2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

S2 AM

Posted 2011-01-25, 10:23 AM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "Super Mario Bros. III - period. ..."
Oh, don't let me forget pokemon on Gameboy when I was like 10 or so, at the end of elementary playing with somewhat "multiplayer" aspects to me was the greatest thing ever, being able to actually play a game with a friend with the link cord and trade shit was just beyond me. And I guess everyone else thought the same way, because now that's all that ever seems to be marketed anymore.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2011-01-25, 01:53 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Oh, don't let me forget pokemon on..."
Diablo is probably the game that has most shaped how I play games today. I was never big on computer games other than like Doom until I played Diablo. My first multiplayer experiences were Diablo on a LAN, then on a 56k modem playing on battle.net. Diablo 2 brought on a completely new game that made things even more addictive.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2011-01-25, 04:05 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Diablo is probably the game that has..."
I played console games most of my childhood, namely Nintendo 64 and Playstation 1.

Then around 4th or 5th grade, I found Runescape. And I was completely addicted 'till towards mid middle school. Right about that time, I realized
I was a loser with no friends, so I quit the game and got my life in order. I also realized how bad the game was after comparing it to other RPG's
and after playing console games again.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2011-01-25, 05:27 PM in reply to josephhb's post "What video game has influenced your..."
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, that game was all kinds of genius. I wasn't really allowed to play video games as a kid. My uncles ruined it for me by constantly playing them when they were kids and then I was forced to play outside with grass and sticks and whatever else hellish things were out there. I totally used to sneak and play Mario and Zelda, though. Anymore my interest in videogames tends to be social. If I'm hanging out I'll play, but alone it's pretty rare.

Runescape, I loved it for like a year and then realized how completely tedious it is. Seriously, firemaking should never, ever be a skill necessary for a game.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Mutant Couch shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeMutant Couch shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Mutant Couch

Posted 2011-01-26, 07:58 PM in reply to josephhb's post "What video game has influenced your..."
It's likely a three-way tie, but I'll order them in the order I played them.

1. Disgaea: Hour of Darkness - Definately the most influencing game of my Middle School years. It gave me a different (though, cruel) philosophy, but also developed a majority of my personality.

2. Phantom Brave - What Disgaea had destroyed, Phantom Brave returned; my kindness and happiness. Ash was also my idol for a long time, and still has major influences over me.

3. Pokemon Heart Gold - To me, games had simply become just that; games. Pokemon Heart Gold made me feel like a kid again, showed me just what the DS is capable of, and gave me a brand new experience as well as bucket loads of nostalgia all at once. Undoubtingly my favorite Pokemon game to date.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2011-01-30, 09:20 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "It's likely a three-way tie, but I'll..."
Half-Life and its mods. Namely Team Fortress Classic, Counter Strike & Day of Defeat. There will be likely never be another game I play for more time than Half-Life and its mods. Second place would probably go to either WOW or Diablo 2 LOD.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2011-01-31, 04:38 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Half-Life and its mods. Namely Team..."
the game i found great is a game called freespace .... its overall is acually really good
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
jamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed it

jamer123