Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Life Discussion

View Poll Results: How have your overall experiences with your landlords been?
Excellent 0 0%
Good 1 25.00%
Fair 3 75.00%
Bad 0 0%
Absolutely Terrible 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Landlords
Posted 2013-01-26, 11:19 AM
What are your experiences with landlords that you have rented from? Please elaborate, and I will share an experience or two later on.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2013-01-26, 02:08 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post "Landlords"
I'd say fair. They leave me alone for the most part as long as I pay rent. But I don't rent shitholes.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2013-01-26, 04:26 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post "Landlords"
I had two as a student - two different houses that I stayed in for a year each.

The first was a huge Victorian house above a Tandoori restaurant. Large rooms, tall ceilings. The decoration was bare minimum, and the kitchen had no windows (if we shut the door and turned the lights off it was pitch black; we kept saying that we were going to have a schnitzel with Friztl night, but never did ). The landlord was a young lad whose father owned the property and the restaurant, and he was sound as a pound. He'd visit every now and then to see how we all were, if there were problems with appliances or general maintenance he'd have it done within a couple of days, and every time we ate in the restaurant we'd get free things. When we left, we tidied, washed the worst marks off the walls and out of the carpet, and he was happy. All five of us have kept in touch with him since, and we all ate at the restaurant up until we graduated.

The second house was a tiny, red brick, new thing on a cul de sac, and we rented from an estate agents. No contact at all from them during the year, and when we had problems (the guttering all around the house came crashing down under heavy snow) it took them weeks to get around to doing anything. When we moved in, the house was a tip and stank to high heaven. When we left, we cleaned everything ready for the inspection (you pay them a deposit, they hold it for the year, and on inspecting the house decide how much they're going to take from us to clean it). Two people from the estate agent popped in, went around the whole house, and after ten minutes of discussion outside, came back in and said they'd be charging each of us £40 to clean the oven. We were outraged, of course, and said that we'd do it there and then. They argued that they didn't have time for that, and then made the mistake of asking us what time our inspection appointment was... they'd arrived half an hour early. So we cleaned the oven, with them watching on, and when they were satisfied we all left the house, locked up and handed them our keys. Then they said they were going to have to charge each of us £20 to clean the skirting boards...

So - private landlord was fantastic. Estate agents were aresholes, looking only to get money from us. Middle of the two: my experience with renting has been Fair.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2013-01-26, 08:21 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I had two as a student - two different..."
I've had a few landlords and they were all mediocre at best. The first place that I got into was a piece of garbage, and it took them a month to repair the broken dishwasher (units cost extra with one). My roommate had several problems with his bathroom that were seen to when the landlord had time.

The second one was fairly decent and didn't bud in. In fact, we didn't have any problems until it came time for the inspection. I had scrubbed the bathroom vigorously, as well as the kitchen which are usually problem areas. Even after I had cleaned the fridge, oven, and bathtub, we were dinged 50 bucks for each thing because apparently they were not as clean as they could have been. I asked if I could scrub it again and he said no and handed me the sheets to sign. There were a few tiny smudges. I doubt that costs 50 dollars for a tiny smudge.

My current landlord is an idiot. If you have a problem she'll wait to come address. I'll get an answer in about three days after I leave a voicemail for some maintenance. She is very quick to put notices for late rent and parking lot violations though, which proves that she is out for every nickle and dime. She tried to ding me for late rent because she lost the check. When I was in her office I saw it sticking out underneath a stack of papers. A big fake apology occurred, and I just left.

Hopefully I get a better one when I find my own place in Colorado.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven