Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > The Lounge

Metric System
Posted 2008-05-11, 05:48 AM
Why does almost everyone in the world use metric except the US and a few other countries? Why are we still using our lame system?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Coffeedagger shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeCoffeedagger shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Coffeedagger

Posted 2008-05-11, 06:19 AM in reply to Coffeedagger's post "Metric System"
What's the American system like?

Over here, although we went metric in 1980, we're still taught a few Imperial measurements in school. As a result, a large majority of the population uses a strange mixture of metric and Imperial.

For example, I'm much happier to work things out in feet and inches, stones, and miles than metres and centimetres, kilograms, and kilometres. However, I use litres and millilitres, as well as centimetres, metres, kilograms, grams and whatever else if the situation dictates. Basically, I can swap between the two whenever I feel like it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-05-11, 08:37 AM in reply to Coffeedagger's post "Metric System"
1 cubic decimeter = 1 liter of water = 1 kg

What else could you possibly ask for?
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-05-11, 11:05 AM in reply to Coffeedagger's post "Metric System"
Actually, I think the U.S. is the only country that uses the imperial system so much. I'm pretty sure any other industrialized country is metric.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-05-11, 11:11 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Actually, I think the U.S. is the only..."
I prefer our system anyways, so who cares about the rest of the world?

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-05-11, 01:23 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I prefer our system anyways, so who..."
Mmm, liters of Alize!

I'm not sure I'd enjoy switching over to the metric system after growing up with the imperial system. It'd be easy enough to do, but I could see riots happening in the deep South.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2008-05-11, 02:38 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Actually, I think the U.S. is the only..."
Willkillforfood said:
Actually, I think the U.S. is the only country that uses the imperial system so much. I'm pretty sure any other industrialized country is metric.
I tis some small country in Africa I think that uses our system.

Here is how dumb it is:
There are 5280 feet in a mile
and 63360 inches in a mile.

I had to go to a couculator to get the 63360 because I had to multiply 5280 by 12. Metric is based around the number 10 wich is a very easy number to work with.

How many millimeters in 1.3 meters? Just move the decimal four places. 13000.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>

Last edited by Asamin; 2008-05-12 at 02:45 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2008-05-11, 03:48 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "I tis some small country in Africa I..."
If you move the decimal four places, it would be 13,000. Unless I read that wrong.

Miles > Kilometers
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2008-05-11, 03:57 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I prefer our system anyways, so who..."
D3V said:
I prefer our system anyways, so who cares about the rest of the world?
You prefer it because you've been raised around it. The metric system is much easier though. Since I've also been raised around it and the metric system, I use both for varieties of measurements.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2008-05-11, 07:13 PM in reply to Wallow's post starting "You prefer it because you've been..."
europeans are viewed as lame to americans so we distance ourselves from their corny and nerdy aspects

for example, "kilometer" sounds much more nerdy than "mile", so if you say kilometer you just killed the mood. way to kill the mood you fat nerd. etc.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Mantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Mantralord

Posted 2008-05-11, 08:04 PM in reply to Mantralord's post starting "europeans are viewed as lame to..."
Seriously, convert already. It made high school math (and life) alot easier.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Jamesadin

Posted 2008-05-11, 08:43 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I prefer our system anyways, so who..."
I like our system. :3
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2008-05-11, 09:11 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "I like our system. :3"
Yes, since it's easily convertible and pretty easy to work with in the realm of science.

lol, jk.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-05-12, 08:52 AM in reply to Mantralord's post starting "europeans are viewed as lame to..."
Mantralord said:
for example, "kilometer" sounds much more nerdy than "mile", so if you say kilometer you just killed the mood. way to kill the mood you fat nerd. etc.
That's why you call a kilometer a "click." "Ten Clicks South of your position" sounds more badass than "Ten Miles South of your position." Military got me using metric in distanes, and college sciences sealed the deal. It's a pain converting back and forth. I think we are converting (read labels on canned goods and water bottles), but just slowly. Just until everyone kind of 'gets it,' or everyone that grew up without the system is school is dead .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
S2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeS2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

S2 AM

Posted 2008-05-12, 10:55 AM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "That's why you call a kilometer a..."
ten clicks huh? what are we using computer mice here? oh look its the WoW nerd and his 8800gt look go get him

whats next, ten drag and drops? ten system32's? ten linuxes? instead of joining the military maybe they should just write newegg customer reviews all day
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Mantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Mantralord

Posted 2008-05-12, 12:18 PM in reply to Mantralord's post starting "ten clicks huh? what are we using..."
I've been taught both, however I just like ours more, no real reason. If everyone preffered everything because it is easier nobody would be married, all 100% of the populations around the world would be on welfare and mexicans would take over.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-05-12, 02:42 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I've been taught both, however I just..."
You're exaggerating...Europeans own Americans
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2008-05-12, 02:45 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "If you move the decimal four places, it..."
HandOfHeaven said:
If you move the decimal four places, it would be 13,000. Unless I read that wrong.

Miles > Kilometers
Oops. Looks like my computer didn't type one number. I'll fix that now.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2008-05-12, 02:46 PM in reply to Wallow's post starting "You're exaggerating...Europeans own..."
Wallow said:
You're exaggerating...Europeans own Americans

Exaggerated, possibly. Europeans owning Americans? I'd say you take the cake there.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-05-12, 09:25 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Yes, since it's easily convertible and..."
I still like our system. =|
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack