Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > News and Events

Guess eHarmony doesn't offer their services to everyone
Posted 2007-06-01, 02:16 AM
Quote:
eHarmony sued in California for excluding gays

By Jill Serjeant Thu May 31, 7:10 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The popular online dating service eHarmony was sued on Thursday for refusing to offer its services to gays, lesbians and bisexuals.

A lawsuit alleging discrimination based on sexual orientation was filed in Los Angeles Superior Court on behalf of Linda Carlson, who was denied access to eHarmony because she is gay.

Lawyers bringing the action said they believed it was the first lawsuit of its kind against eHarmony, which has long rankled the gay community with its failure to offer a "men seeking men" or "women seeking women" option.

They were seeking to make it a class action lawsuit on behalf of gays and lesbians excluded from the dating service.

eHarmony was founded in 2000 by evangelical Christian Dr. Neil Clark Warren and had strong early ties with the influential religious conservative group Focus on the Family.

It has more than 12 million registered users, and heavy television advertising has made it one of the nation's biggest Internet dating sites.

The company said the allegations of discrimination against gays were false and reckless.

"The research that eHarmony has developed, through years of research, to match couples has been based on traits and personality patterns of successful heterosexual marriages," it said in a statement.

"Nothing precludes us from providing same-sex matching in the future. It's just not a service we offer now based upon the research we have conducted," eHarmony added.

According to the lawsuit, Carlson, who lives in the San Francisco Bay area, tried to use the site's dating services in February 2007. When she was denied access, she wrote to eHarmony saying that its anti-gay policy was discriminatory under California law but the company refused to change it.

"Such outright discrimination is hurtful and disappointing for a business open to the public in this day and age," she said.

Carlson's lawyer Todd Schneider said the lawsuit was "about changing the landscape and making a statement out there that gay people, just like heterosexuals, have the right and desire to meet other people with whom they can fall in love."

Carlson's lawyers expect a significant number of gays and lesbians to join the class action, which seeks to force eHarmony to end its policy as well as unspecified damages for those denied eHarmony services based on their sexual orientation.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070531/...armony_gays_dc
I'm not really sure what to say or think. There are gay-specific Personals, but eh.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2007-06-01, 05:34 AM in reply to KagomJack's post "Guess eHarmony doesn't offer their..."
No company should be forced to cater to one group or another.
!King_Amazon! said:
Just ask the married chick he fucked.

Who Delivers ten times out of ten?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
MightyJoe is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMightyJoe is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

MightyJoe

Posted 2007-06-01, 08:56 AM in reply to MightyJoe's post starting "No company should be forced to cater to..."
MightyJoe said:
No company should be forced to cater to one group or another.
Right. Their company is based off of studies done on heterosexual couples, which would most likely not apply to homosexual couples. How hard is that to understand?

It's like suing tampax for not making tampons for guys.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-06-01, 09:23 AM in reply to KagomJack's post "Guess eHarmony doesn't offer their..."
Bah. Who cares. Cry me a river.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-06-01, 09:51 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Bah. Who cares. Cry me a river."
JT hahahahahaha
Your fucking stupid
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
klo shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeklo shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

klo

Posted 2007-06-01, 10:46 AM in reply to klo's post starting "JT hahahahahaha"
Shut the fuck up.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-06-01, 03:44 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Right. Their company is based off of..."
but dey do have Manpons....

u put them in ur butt after eatin like 45 hot wings incase u p00p
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
ailis is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenailis is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

ailis

Posted 2007-06-01, 06:51 PM in reply to ailis's post starting "but dey do have Manpons.... u put..."
What the fuck?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-06-01, 06:51 PM in reply to KagomJack's post "Guess eHarmony doesn't offer their..."
Stupid bull dyke.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2007-06-01, 06:52 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Stupid bull dyke."
Look out for a lawsuit, Sovereign!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-06-01, 06:53 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Look out for a lawsuit, Sovereign!"
I'll have to contant SA.com's lawyer immediatly!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2007-06-02, 04:33 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Right. Their company is based off of..."
!King_Amazon! said:
It's like suing tampax for not making tampons for guys.
I guess the difference would be that tampax doesn't say that you or I couldn't use them... correct? Maybe I use the for nosebleeds?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
khwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzkhwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

khwiii

Posted 2007-06-02, 10:09 AM in reply to khwiii's post starting "I guess the difference would be that..."
Well even if eHarmony did allow gays to use their service, I doubt they would get much use of it.

eHarmony offers heterosexual matches. A homosexual obviously wouldn't benefit from being matched with someone of the opposite sex. I'm sure they could feel free to be, but I don't think they would be very satisfied.

Homosexuals want eHarmony to alter their services to cater to homosexuals as well. While that's fine as a request, it's a stupid demand, and I would guess there's nothing legal that's binding eHarmoney to cater their services to them as well.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-06-02, 10:42 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Well even if eHarmony did allow gays to..."
eHarmony is just being given free publicity to the millions of gay-hating heterosexuals out there =P
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-06-02, 03:16 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "eHarmony is just being given free..."
I think that it has nothing to do with them discrimiating. Eharmony is a business, i thought? Well, they want to make money. They jus thavn't got the right testing done to let the gays match up with eachother.

And in the commercials, they show males+females together, i dont think they want to put gays in the commercials.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish

Posted 2007-06-02, 03:18 PM in reply to slaynish's post starting "I think that it has nothing to do with..."
Put lesbians in it and watch profits soar.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sovereign

Posted 2007-06-02, 03:20 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Put lesbians in it and watch profits..."
Absolutely.

Actually, a lot of straight girls find that nasty. But for the guys,

In fact,

my girlfriend always jokes about having 3 somes with other chicks.... like she wanted me to walk over to her friends house because she was there and it was like 3 and a half miles away, and she said "If you come over here, me you and erin can have a threesome"

Which, was great for me, but I didn't go.

Too far of a walk for some puss, and I'm pretty sure it was a joke.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish

Posted 2007-06-02, 07:34 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "eHarmony is just being given free..."
Considering the ties with Focus on the Family, etc., they probably are going to be making sermons.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2007-06-02, 10:30 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "Considering the ties with Focus on the..."
It's their business. Apparently the profit incentive isn't enough.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-06-05, 05:39 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "It's their business. Apparently the..."
getting sick of gays forcing everyone to accept them.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
osmoses-jones is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenosmoses-jones is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

osmoses-jones