Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

What's the problem with forensic science authenticating art?
Posted 2010-08-02, 11:15 PM
I'm writing a paper for my English class, my topic is Forensic science VS Provenance in authenticating artwork. My stance is for forensic science, but I can't seem to find reasons why forensic science is not liked as a method for art authentication. Does anyone have any information on why it's disliked? Thank you ahead of time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
rikkyponnting is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenrikkyponnting is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

rikkyponnting

Posted 2010-08-04, 07:03 AM in reply to rikkyponnting's post "What's the problem with forensic..."
I particularly remember reading a chapter in "Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking" where there was some piece of artwork (I believe a sculpture) that was shown to be real by science, but strangely enough, a lot of experts would look at it and immediately know that something was wrong, even if they didn't know what exactly was wrong. You may wanna try to find that book (it's common) and read that chapter. I believe it was either the first or second chapter, and a quick read. You may even be able to find an e-book.

Ultimately the work turned out to be a fake.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2010-08-06, 04:49 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I particularly remember reading a..."
I think it has something to do with science not being able to detect emotion. Art is mostly about emotion, and a fake exhibit doesn't have the same emotion, or any, as an original. They can be made of the same materials, even constructed/created at the same time, but because the artist isn't the same, lacks his emotion or his style or whatever. People can tell because we are emotions all the time, where as science removes that. It's like asking a robot to tell you if James doesn't like you. The robot doesn't know, he sees James shake your hand and smile at you, but you can feel that James isn't being friendly. I dunno, that's probably a bad example, but you get the point.
R.I.P
Pontiac
Jan. 1926 - Dec. 2010 est.

Check the Gallery and Scrapbook often!
[deviantArt Account!]

Spy Hard
Agent WD-40:
Quote:
Well, you carry a UB-21 Schnauzer with an OPS Silencer, that's KGB, You prefer an 18-K over an AK, Your surveillance technique is NSA, Your ID is CIA, you recieved your PHD at NYU, traded in your GTO for a BMW, you listen to CD's by REM and STP, and you'd like to see JFK in his BVDs getting down with OPP and you probably put the toilet paper back on the roll with the paper on the inside...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Draco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Draco2003

Posted 2010-08-06, 01:00 PM in reply to Draco2003's post starting "I think it has something to do with..."
That sounds about right. Also, art, sometimes lacks total logic. Paintings, drawings, and such appearing distorted and unusual. Science is all about logic, so, really, they seem like two things that should never touch.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2010-08-06, 01:22 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "That sounds about right. Also, art,..."
Carbon-dating a piece of art or something like that doesn't seem like science is over-stepping its bounds, to me, but according to the book I read, there are cases where science has been wrong and professionals/experts ended up being right.

Like all things, in moderation, I suppose?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!