Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Lightbulb The Day After Tomorrow
Posted 2004-05-28, 01:48 PM
The Day After Tomorrow (2004)
Also known as "Tomorrow"

Where will you be?

Starring: Dennis Quaid, Jake Gyllenhaal, Emmy Rossum, Dash Mihok, Jay O. Sanders, Sela Ward, Austin Nichols, Arjay Smith, Tamlyn Tomita, Sasha Roiz, Ian Holm

Director: Roland Emmerich

Running Time: 124 minutes

Certificate: 12A

Action, Drama, Science Fiction, Thriller

In director Roland Emmerich's 'Independence Day' (1996), a boffin eventually defeats the space aliens that have wrought explosive havoc all over America (and incidentally the rest of the world) - without provocation. In 'Godzilla' (1998), a boffin eventually defeats the giant iguana that has rampaged through New York City's highrise - but the fact that the lizard's mutation was a product of exposure to Pacific nuclear testing hinted that humankind was just reaping what it (or at least what the French) had sown. And now in 'The Day After Tomorrow', there is yet more disaster and destruction on a truly massive scale all over America (and incidentally the rest of the world), only this time the enemy is global warming, the starring boffin is unable to do anything to defeat it, and the blame is placed squarely on the shoulders of Western consumerism and blinkered US governance. In other words, Emmerich's delight in sublime catastrophe may be consistent to the point of repetitivene ss, but at least the man is maturing politically.

A sequence of extreme weather conditions (snow in New Delhi, bucket-sized hailstones in Tokyo, spectacular tornadoes in downtown LA) leads palaeoclimatologist Jack Hall (Dennis Quaid) to realise that a new ice age is coming. His son Sam (Jake Gyllenhaal) becomes trapped in New York's Public Library when a tidal wave strikes the city, and is forced to fight rapidly dropping temperatures - and a pack of hungry wolves escaped from the zoo - while Jack and two colleagues attempt the perilous journey from Washington to find him.

'The Day After Tomorrow' has everything you expect from a disaster movie: personal dramas set against apocalyptic mayhem; lots of scenes set in control rooms (with no-one in control); recognisable public monuments being torn apart/flooded/buried under snow/snapfrozen; and episodes so preposterously daft that you just have to love them, as when Jack feels the need to explain the relationship between the North Atlantic current and the world's climate to a room full of meteorological experts, or when Sam and his friends outrun a towering wall of water (and later a fast-moving coldsnap). Silliest of all is the realisation that Jack has undertaken his journey not to save the good burghers of New York, nor even just to save his own son, but rather simply to prove that he can for once keep an appointment - making the final scenes of this film hilariously anticlimactic, as our hero is left with literally nothing to do except grin.

While Emmerich is really only going over visual effects already well covered by films like 'Sudden Impact', 'Twister' or even 'Meteor', he comes into his own in battering his viewers with total sensory overload to convey the sheer, overwhelming scale of the devastation. The bass rumble which accompanies the wave rolling through New York is quite simply the most ear-splitting sound ever heard in a cinema, and if the film's cataclysmic, but occasionally ropey, CGI fails to humble you, the soundtrack might just succeed.

It is for its politics, however, that this film is most audacious, as it represents a direct attack on the refusal of the current US administration to reduce greenhouse emissions. Even if it is somewhat simplistic, 'The Day After Tomorrow' may have more impact on Bush's stance on the environment than any serious science could, as it terrifies its American viewers into doing something that the British have always enjoyed - talking about the weather.

It's Got: Widespread demolition of American cities beyond al Qaida's wildest dreams; fun environmentalist Bush-baiting; neat satirical scenes in which floods of US nationals are forced to cross the Mexican border as illegals; and weather conditions as cold as a brass monkey's proverbials (still, mustn't grumble).

Badass movie, go see it.. Pwn

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2004-05-28, 02:05 PM in reply to D3V's post "The Day After Tomorrow"
Ima go see it tomorrow.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2004-05-28, 09:15 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Ima go see it tomorrow."
D3V, you're the only person I've heard say something good about the movie. I've heard so many horrible things >.<
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2004-05-28, 10:05 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "D3V, you're the only person I've heard..."
It's a crock of shit. Global warming is a bunch of fucking balonie. Whoever watches this movie, keep that in mind.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
badboy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenbadboy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

badboy

Posted 2004-05-28, 10:32 PM in reply to badboy's post starting "It's a crock of shit. Global warming is..."
The movie is fucking awesome. I really liked it. Pwn.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-05-28, 11:24 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "The movie is fucking awesome. I really..."
Badboy, ... bah. How can you say global warming is a bunch of balongie... Theres been tons and tons and tons of informatino from scientists around the world warning us of this, ... Yeah. nevermind.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2004-05-29, 10:46 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Badboy, ... bah. How can you say global..."
yeah...global warming IS a fact.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2004-05-29, 12:06 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Badboy, ... bah. How can you say global..."
D3V said:
balongie
badboy said:
balonie
That would be bologna.

Plan on seein this movie later on today, I think it looks good anyways.
So this baby seal walks into a club.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
ask_rabber is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenask_rabber is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

ask_rabber

Posted 2004-05-29, 04:05 PM in reply to ask_rabber's post starting "That would be bologna. Plan on seein..."
'Cuz Oscar Mayer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-05-29, 09:16 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "'Cuz Oscar Mayer has a way with..."
So yeah just got back, I thought it was pretty damn good. Some stuff was fakey, but for the most part it was awesome. As soon as I thought "this movie needs more comedy," I got hit with the borders being closed, and just about shat my pants. There was also the homeless guy, he got a few laughs out of me. The CG was fantastic. Also, it wasn't "stop global warming" type of shit, if it was, I would have got up and left.

On the whole it was pretty good, I suggest you see it.
So this baby seal walks into a club.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
ask_rabber is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenask_rabber is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

ask_rabber

Posted 2004-05-30, 06:31 AM in reply to ask_rabber's post starting "So yeah just got back, I thought it was..."
The movie owned. I loved it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
NonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzNonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

NonGayMan

Posted 2004-05-31, 06:52 PM in reply to ask_rabber's post starting "That would be bologna. Plan on seein..."
Hah, that was actually going to be the first thing I said in this post.

Anyway, I saw it last night, and it was good. I wouldn't say it pwned or anything, but for what I expected, it lived up to the expectations of badass weather scenes of mass chaotic destruction. The simultaneous tornado scene in Los Angeles was awesome, and the coastal flooding in NY was pwn, but the storyline and plot was just good.

Entertaining movie to visually watch, but the movie as a whole was semi-weak. Still, I'd recommend it just for the special effects.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2004-05-31, 07:42 PM in reply to ask_rabber's post starting "So yeah just got back, I thought it was..."
ask_rabber said:
Also, it wasn't "stop global warming" type of shit, if it was, I would have got up and left.
Actually Rabber, I am pretty sure it was. [spoiler]Notice how the Vice Pres (now Pres) had a speech at the end about how global warming was a real issue and we should no longer foolishly use our fossil fuels?

Also, the movie is telling us to let in all the immigrants that want to come in, by giving the exmample that we may never know when we will need to go to Mexico for refuge.

Ths movie was so propaganda-ish. I would call it liberal, but I am not sure if these are liberal beliefs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzPenny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Penny_Bags

Posted 2004-05-31, 08:26 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post starting "Actually Rabber, I am pretty sure it..."
I saw it this afternoon, very nice special effects and plot lines. Love how everything freezes in certain areas....
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2004-05-31, 10:08 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post starting "Actually Rabber, I am pretty sure it..."
Well, I think he meant that the main purpose wasn't to stop Global Warming, but rather to inform people of its possible effects. If this movie was based on an essentric climateologist that wanted people to stop pollution and everything that affected global warming, he would have left the movie. Rather, they talked about the subject, but kept it objective and informative, rather than "liberalish", for lack of better words.

Well, thats what I took from his comment, anyway.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2004-06-01, 12:17 AM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "Well, I think he meant that the main..."
I don't honestly see how effective this movie could be in teaching people the possible consequences of global warming. Climate changes take place over hundreds of years, and sudden climate changes (the kind in this movie) take place over a period of decades. Global warming isn't going to cause buckets of hail to suddenly drop on Japan, and it's not going to cause New York to flash-freeze. Global warming will raise ocean levels, flooding coastal marshes, which in turn will only force those same marches to move further inland. Global warming will cause higher and lower temperatures in hotter and colder areas respectively because of droughts and the possible slowing or shutdown of the thermohaline ciculation.

I haven't seen this movie yet, but I intend to. I intend to watch it solely for the special effects, because the entire premise of the movie is just a bit too silly to take seriously.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-06-01, 12:24 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "I don't honestly see how effective this..."
Well, the end effect the movie shows is an accurate one of global warming, but the process is not. In the movie this all happens over this 7-10 day storm front, whereas in real life, it would take approximately 50 years, from what I've heard.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Titusfied

Posted 2004-06-01, 12:48 AM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "Well, the end effect the movie shows is..."
This movie is retarded, the acting was just plain horrible. I admit, the graphics were pretty good, but that's the only thing I liked about it. The whole movie was global warming facts, like the few scenes where they were all talking and the guy was like "I thought we were talking about global warming, how does this bring on an iceage." You want to know why, because it fucking doesn't. They just threw in big words and left out the key facts that would explain why the fuck global warming had to do with 3 big storms to make people think it can happen. And the whole part at the end was so stupid I DID GET UP AND LEAVE.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
badboy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenbadboy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

badboy

Posted 2004-06-01, 12:51 AM in reply to badboy's post starting "This movie is retarded, the acting was..."
Actually when the earth warms up too much the tetonic plates will shift, Volcanoes will erupt, Cold air and warm air flows will circulate into each other, causing many storms, etc etc.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2004-06-01, 01:08 AM in reply to D3V's post "The Day After Tomorrow"
I like it, the effects were tight, the story wasnt bad and well over all I just liked it
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Acer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAcer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Acer