Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

Reputation Change
Posted 2007-10-04, 09:08 AM
I have an idea to possibly cut down on the number of bullshit reps given. Perhaps when a post is repped, have it show as "marked for positive or negative reputation" and for it to go through make it where 2 people other than the rep giver have to "approve" the rep.

Something like that, anyway.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-10-04, 09:11 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "Reputation Change"
Seems a bit too in depth, but it's a good idea. Would it show up right by the checkmark and x?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2007-10-04, 09:29 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Seems a bit too in depth, but it's a..."
Sure. Maybe have a green + sign for positive or a red - sign for negative. Who knows. This is just the basis for the idea.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-10-04, 09:47 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "Reputation Change"
Eh, I say leave it be. It seems pretty fair the way it is now with having to wait 24 hours to give out more rep. If you're that hell-bent on giving somebody negative rep over and over, you've got problems.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-10-04, 10:04 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Eh, I say leave it be. It seems pretty..."
I think having it where it has to be approved by others would give more of a "this is how everyone feels about you" feel to reputation than if it's single people, though. A single person can keep targeting someone that the majority of people like and there's nothing that can be done about it. I think it would make reputation actually reflect what it should.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-10-04, 10:38 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I think having it where it has to be..."
I got negative repped by someone who hasn't posted in two years. Fun stuff, I suppose. Maybe we should make it for active or semi active members, and not lurkers?

I honestly don't care about the repping too much, but I found it odd to get negative repped for posting about yoshi coins by some guy who hasn't shown his opinions in a post since 9-23-05.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2007-10-04, 10:42 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "I got negative repped by someone who..."
Was it Afroman? I got negatively repped by him on just a random post of mine.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-10-04, 10:45 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Was it Afroman? I got negatively..."
So basically you would want to create a poll somewhat for each individual post? Idk if WW would be able to do anything like that because I don't believe anything like that really exists yet, I do like the thought of it though.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-10-04, 10:57 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "Reputation Change"
I think rather than that, it might be worth going back to an idea that was originally mentioned - reporting reps.

Obviously, some people will report reps simply because they're bad, but the staff will have the final say on whether the rep deserves to be 'cancelled'. It might mean a bit more work for us, and may even lead to a couple more staff members, but I see it as being far eaiser that having to set up a mini-poll system for repped posts. As I see it, also, reps aren't supposed to be public - if I rep you, I don't want to have two other members agreee with me before the rep is added. Adding the rep is my opinion, not someone elses, and we all hve different opinions. I can also imagine it may get to the point where people are purposely disagreeing to the rep, simply because they dislike the reper or repee.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-10-04, 11:23 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I think rather than that, it might be..."
Staff approval/denial sounds fine to me, though it would have to be where you can't approve/deny your own given or recieved rep. For instance, if I rep d3v negatively, and he reports it, I shouldn't be allowed to approve it anyway. Also, if D3v reps me negatively, and I report it, I shouldn't be allowed to deny it as well.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-10-04, 11:33 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Staff approval/denial sounds fine to..."
Correct, sounds like a good system, passing it upstairs probably wouldn't work.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]

Last edited by D3V; 2007-10-04 at 12:05 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-10-04, 11:54 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I think having it where it has to be..."
!King_Amazon! said:
I think having it where it has to be approved by others would give more of a "this is how everyone feels about you" feel to reputation than if it's single people, though. A single person can keep targeting someone that the majority of people like and there's nothing that can be done about it. I think it would make reputation actually reflect what it should.
... That's stupid.

I agree with Lenny. Everybody's opinions differ, we're not all going to agree "Hey, this was a good post."

Keep it the way it is. Why fix something that isn't broken?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-10-04, 11:56 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "... That's stupid. I agree with..."
Because it is broken.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-10-04, 11:59 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Because it is broken."
How? You can't +/- the same person until you've done it to 6 other people and you have to wait 24 hours if you've done it too much. I think that's a pretty fair system.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Thanatos

Posted 2007-10-04, 12:00 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "How? You can't +/- the same person..."
That only affects how often you can do it. People can still rep for whatever the hell they want, whether or not they have a good reason or not. There at least needs to be SOME sort of approval system, be it by staff or by members.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-10-04, 12:06 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "That only affects how often you can do..."
I'd say just allow people to report it, and assign somebody fair enough to be a Reputation manager and moderator, something. And if THEY feel it IS unjust, they can use their own good judgement and/or pass it along to the other staff.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2007-10-04, 12:08 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I'd say just allow people to report it,..."
That sounds a bit too complicated. Just make it where staff handle any reports about rep, but cannot alter anything that is in relation to them(that they either gave or recieved, basically.)

Would be just like approving new members. We weed out the pointless ones.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-10-04, 02:33 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "Reputation Change"
So basicly re-write it from scratch, then...
Even if you do something fancy like that, three people could gang up to pick on someone.

I can make it so only positive rep can be left, but even that can be abused.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2007-10-04, 02:37 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "So basicly re-write it from scratch,..."
That actually might not be a bad idea. I kinda like that.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-10-04, 02:37 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "That actually might not be a bad idea. ..."
I actually think it's fine the way it is. I would just like the comments to be anonymous.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes