Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > The Lounge

What the hell is wrong with the FCC?
Posted 2004-02-02, 07:13 PM
www.reuters.com said:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - An outraged Federal Communications Commission Chairman Michael Powell on Monday ordered an investigation into the broadcast of the Super Bowl's halftime entertainment show, during which singer Janet Jackson's right breast was exposed.

During the break in the National Football League's championship game, pop singer Justin Timberlake reached for Jackson as they sang a duet and tore open part of her black leather bustier.

"That celebration was tainted by a classless, crass and deplorable stunt," Powell said in a statement. "Our nation's children, parents and citizens deserve better."

Television networks are already on the defensive, with the FCC taking a more aggressive stand against indecency over the airwaves and Congress threatening to sharply raise the fines for such incidents.

Viacom Inc.'s CBS television network, which aired the show, and MTV, which produced the halftime bonanza, apologized for what they described as an unscripted moment.

A spokesman for CBS had no immediate comment on the probe and a Viacom spokesman was not immediately available for comment.

"We attended all rehearsals throughout the week and there was no indication that any such thing would happen," CBS said. "The moment did not conform to CBS broadcast standards and we would like to apologize to anyone who was offended."

Powell promised a "thorough and swift" investigation by the agency's enforcement division. Scores of complaints were coming in to the FCC about Jackson and other portions of the entertainment segment of the game.

When the FCC was bombarded with complaints about the fashion show by lingerie retailer Victoria's Secret that aired on Walt Disney Co.'s ABC broadcast network in 2001, the agency declined to take action because the material was not "so graphic or explicit as to be patently offensive."

CBS picked up the lingerie show after ABC reportedly declined to air the fashion show the following year. As part of a tougher stance against indecency at times when children are likely to be watching, the FCC is considering action against General Electric Co.'s NBC television network for an incident in which U2 rocker Bono said "f---ing brilliant" when accepting an award on a live broadcast.

Federal indecency rules bar the broadcast of obscene material and limit the airing of indecent material that contains sexual or excretory references in a patently offensive manner to late night hours when children are less likely to be watching.
What the hell is wrong with the FCC? Who really gives a fuck if her breast was exposed. So be it. It happend, now let it be. If it was unscripted, as they say it was, then why the hell would you try to fine them? It was an accident. Let it die already. And if it wasn't an accident, it was funny anyway.

Goddamn these idiot parents calling the FCC with their complaints. Deal with it bitch. You are not going to accomplish anything. What has happend has happend. Do you think that by trying to get money from the TV station little Bobby is going to forget? You can try and brainwash him and tell him it was something else, but complaining to the FCC is not going to help. What in the hell do you think you are protecting your children from? Don't you know little nine year old Bobby is sitting at his computer right now finding out just what the hell is in those hidden files daddy has? If you want your kids to be retarted and not know shit, then you deal with it, dont take it out on some TV station because you can't handle your own fucking kids.

And why in the hell would someone get in trouble saying "fuck". Good lord motherfuckers, you hear that everyday in elementary. OOH he said fuck. Big whoop. The same parents who take their kids to watch Terminator are complaining about somebody saying "fuck" on NBC? I swear to god some people make no goddamn sense at all.

Your kids are going to grow up and learn about all this stuff by the time they get to junior-high anyway. Instead of bitching about what happend, why don't you take some time to educate your kid about what happend, and if you can't do that then why the hell do you have a child?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2004-02-02, 07:46 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "What the hell is wrong with the FCC?"
Yeah, people are shitheads. What else is new?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
p1ng is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenp1ng is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

p1ng

Posted 2004-02-02, 08:49 PM in reply to p1ng's post starting "Yeah, people are shitheads. What else..."
Absolutely nothing.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2004-02-02, 11:34 PM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "Absolutely nothing."
That's the U.S. populace for ya...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Eddie_Perez is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenEddie_Perez is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Eddie_Perez

Posted 2004-02-02, 11:52 PM in reply to Eddie_Perez's post starting "That's the U.S. populace for ya..."
THe fcc took opie and anthony off the air too....they are fuckign up what is fun! kill them all.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2004-02-03, 01:44 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "THe fcc took opie and anthony off the..."
Yeah, and watch in 15-20years, breast will be alowed on public TV. I mean look back 20years, someone's ass wasnt aloud and now it is.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Acer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAcer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Acer

Posted 2004-02-03, 01:45 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "THe fcc took opie and anthony off the..."
Heh, I actually talked some sense into my own mother about this sort of topic a while back.

I was over at my parents house (I can't remember how long ago) watching the Tyson/Lewis fight. Tyson makes his entrance towards the ring, and as he's doing so, some DMX song is blasting over the arena's PA, laden with uncensored obscenities. My mother's jaw DROPS to the floor and she asks, horrified, "why don't they censor that garbage?! Don't they know that children could be watching this?!" My response to her was "mom, you're about to watch two grown men beat the living piss out of each other in an arena packed with bloodthirsty spectators. You're about to watch one of the most violent, sanctioned acts of entertainment in the world, and you're complaining about a rapper saying "shit" and "fuck" over the PA?" She never complained about anything of that nature ever again.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-02-03, 03:28 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Heh, I actually talked some sense into..."
It was classless.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2004-02-03, 07:21 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Heh, I actually talked some sense into..."
Raziel said:
Heh, I actually talked some sense into my own mother about this sort of topic a while back.

I was over at my parents house (I can't remember how long ago) watching the Tyson/Lewis fight. Tyson makes his entrance towards the ring, and as he's doing so, some DMX song is blasting over the arena's PA, laden with uncensored obscenities. My mother's jaw DROPS to the floor and she asks, horrified, "why don't they censor that garbage?! Don't they know that children could be watching this?!" My response to her was "mom, you're about to watch two grown men beat the living piss out of each other in an arena packed with bloodthirsty spectators. You're about to watch one of the most violent, sanctioned acts of entertainment in the world, and you're complaining about a rapper saying "shit" and "fuck" over the PA?" She never complained about anything of that nature ever again.
good job Raziel now if only something like that would work on my mom.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dan XIII is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDan XIII is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Dan XIII

Posted 2004-02-03, 09:16 AM in reply to Dan XIII's post starting "good job Raziel now if only something..."
It's all those damn Christian moms. They over-protect their kids so much, that their kids just end up in jail or dead from a drug overdose. We must kill all those moms NOW!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Eddie_Perez is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenEddie_Perez is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Eddie_Perez

Posted 2004-02-03, 09:42 AM in reply to Eddie_Perez's post starting "It's all those damn Christian moms...."
I agree, what is the big FUCKING deal? There wasn't even anything showing, there was a star looking thing over her nipple. Also, what's the deal with cussing? It's a few letters jumbled together to form a word. When I say "shit," I don't injure anyone, I don't scar any kids for life. The simple answer to both of these things is:

People need something to bitch about.

Yes indeed friends, we must shield our children from sex! They can't know what is going on in their parents bed after hours! They might actually know what to do when they get jiggy with it later in their years! They might know how to protect themselves from STDs and pregnancy! We sure don't want that now do we?

Honestly, I've known about "sex" since I was at least 8, and I'm not scarred for life. I act more mature than most people my age. I'll know how to protect myself when the time comes, and hell, I might even enjoy sex!

Don't let the parents of America know this though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2004-02-03, 10:51 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I agree, what is the big FUCKING deal? ..."
Supposedly you soil their kid's "innocent" minds when you cuss, and therefor make them grow up all evil and shizzle.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Eddie_Perez