Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Blatent Game Plagiarism=hilarity
Posted 2008-06-19, 05:01 AM
http://forum.gamesradar.com/viewtopi...er=asc&start=0

Check it out and look at the comparisons for yourself.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-06-19, 06:34 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post "Blatent Game Plagiarism=hilarity"
Hahaha! That's amazing!! You've got to hand it to the Devs - they've recreated so much from other games so well, and it loooks like it all fits together. Kudos to them.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-06-19, 06:46 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post "Blatent Game Plagiarism=hilarity"
That was great, I got a good laugh outta that.

I bet'cha that they're going to get sued so far up their asses at some point.

Hasn't this game been out for a while by the way?

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-06-19, 07:19 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post "Blatent Game Plagiarism=hilarity"
Yeah, you just can't steal all of those red X's.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2008-06-19, 12:07 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Hahaha! That's amazing!! You've got to..."
I don't see the resemblance at all.

But anyway, I find it hard to believe that someone actually thought that they would get away with that. There are far too many ripoffs from far too many games. Even the interview makes it sound like they knew what they were getting into.

Quote:
Gordon: So have any more recent games influenced your current project?

Steve: The project is more influenced by film and literature rather than other games, we want the experience to be as original as possible and as such we have made a calculated effort to keep away from other games in the genre. Limbo of the Lost is an experience first and foremost, secondly wrapped up in a game media and genre.
I mean, the guy is focusing on "we're original" and basically saying what is exactly the opposite of the truth. I can just imagine him sitting there trying his hardest not to bust out laughing.

So either I think that this is an intentional "publicity stunt" sort of thing, or Majestic Studios has something against Tri Synergy Inc and is trying to get them in some shit. Clearly the people who did this weren't trying to get away with it, because it's absolutely blatantly obvious.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-06-19, 03:14 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post "Blatent Game Plagiarism=hilarity"
Willkillforfood said: [Goto]
http://forum.gamesradar.com/viewtopi...er=asc&start=0

Check it out and look at the comparisons for yourself.
Reminds me of practically the entire Starcraft franchise vs. Warhammer 40,000.

L O L
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2008-06-19, 07:41 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Reminds me of practically the entire..."
Yea, but starcraft kicks ass .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-06-19, 08:50 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Reminds me of practically the entire..."
Vollstrecker said: [Goto]
Reminds me of practically the entire Starcraft franchise vs. Warhammer 40,000.

L O L
Not really? These people just straight ripped stuff from other games. Even just reusing the same images. It looks like the whole game was created using nothing but images and settings from other games.

Starcraft isn't an exact rip off of Warhammer 40K. There are similarities. Blizzard still created the entire game themselves, along with the story, and the abilities/names of all of the units.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-06-20, 02:20 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Not really? These people just straight..."
This is great, I wonder if they'll get into any legal issues?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-06-20, 03:22 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Not really? These people just straight..."
!King_Amazon! said: [Goto]
Starcraft isn't an exact rip off of Warhammer 40K. There are similarities. Blizzard still created the entire game themselves, along with the story, and the abilities/names of all of the units.
Blizzard has said that Warcraft and Starcraft have been "heavily influenced" by Games Workshop's Warhammer Fantasy Battle and Warhammer 40,000 franchises.

There are quite a few differences, but some of it is so blatant (such as 90% of the Zerg concept) that arguing against it is pretty difficult.

Although I haven't checked on it, I remember hearing that Blizzard had to credit Games Workshop in the credits of one of the Starcraft games to avoid potential lawsuit. I don't recall if it was in SC1, Ghost (lol), or is included in SC2.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2008-06-20, 05:24 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Blizzard has said that Warcraft and..."
Blizzard has said that Warcraft and Starcraft have been "heavily influenced" by Games Workshop's Warhammer Fantasy Battle and Warhammer 40,000 franchises.

There are quite a few differences, but some of it is so blatant (such as 90% of the Zerg concept) that arguing against it is pretty difficult.

Although I haven't checked on it, I remember hearing that Blizzard had to credit Games Workshop in the credits of one of the Starcraft games to avoid potential lawsuit. I don't recall if it was in SC1, Ghost (lol), or is included in SC2.
Either way, it's not even on the same level as the people in the OP. Blizzard hasn't used the same sprites and shit.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-06-20, 11:00 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Blizzard has said that Warcraft and..."
When was Warhammer 40k made?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-06-20, 11:15 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "When was Warhammer 40k made?"
Willkillforfood said: [Goto]
When was Warhammer 40k made?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_40000

While I know Wikipedia isn't the best source to quote, it's fairly accurate on most things.

Warhammer 40,000 was first published in 1987 and evolved pretty quickly afterwards.

The first mention of the alien lifeforms known as the Tyranids (what the zerg are "based on") was in 1990, earning their own full-fledged Codex (army rulebook) in 1993, which predates Starcraft planning development stages by 2 years and Starcraft release by 5 years.

!King_Amazon! said:
Either way, it's not even on the same level as the people in the OP. Blizzard hasn't used the same sprites and shit.
True enough.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2008-06-20, 11:38 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_4..."
Well, the alien movies probably inspired those anyways.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-06-21, 12:11 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Well, the alien movies probably..."
The official inspiration for Warhammer 40,000 was Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein.

In regards to the Tyranids being inspired by the Xenomorph from Alien (which I actually watched just an hour before seeing your post), the lifecycle for the Xenomorph is as different as Night and Day from Tyranids.

Alien:
Queen lays eggs
Egg hatches to Facehugger
Facehugger implants Embryo
Embryo matures, explodes from host's chest
Grows to full size within hours
??
Profit!

Tyranids exist to consume all genetic material in the universe and do so on a planetary scale
Tyranids:
Quote:
The assimilated DNA structures and resources of the planets invaded warp Tyranids into a multitude of genera, all of which have an extremely rapid rate of evolution. Tyranid matter is constantly reabsorbed into biomass reclamation pools, called Digestion Pools, and terraforming devices, called Spore Chimneys, to create new varieties mixing with new assimilated DNA structures of the races of the invaded planet.

The digestion and absorption of a planet and its lifeforms by the Tyranids happens over three stages:

The first is marked by the spread of Spore Chimneys which spew genetic material across the planet. The genetic material enhances and speeds up the rate of reproduction of the indigenous plantlife and quickly converts these lifeforms into Tyranid genetic structures that allow them to be easily digested.
The second is through the creation of Digestion Pools, which allow for a collection of genetic material on a planet by digesting the Tyranids into their genetic material.
The third stage is when Hiveships take the material and produce new evolutions and mutations of Tyranids. This material is sent to the Hiveships via Capillary Towers.
All of the material at the Hiveships are processed by Norn Queens, a biological factory type creature, whose job is to produce advance species and units to further aid in devouring future enemies.
The appearance of some Tyranids could be inspired by Alien however.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2008-06-26, 03:43 AM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "The official inspiration for Warhammer..."
Ya ya ya, there's nothing new under the sun. They may have flat out copied some levels, but I don't see it holding up in any court system this side of California. As if a scene with a sprial staircase can be copyrighted just because it's in a game? There are only so many level designs that can be done before they all start to look alike.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
S2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeS2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

S2 AM

Posted 2008-06-26, 08:44 AM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "Ya ya ya, there's nothing new under the..."
Did you even read the article?

They didn't just design similar stuff. They completely ripped off stuff from other games.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-06-26, 06:45 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "The official inspiration for Warhammer..."
The official inspiration for Warhammer 40,000 was Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein.

In regards to the Tyranids being inspired by the Xenomorph from Alien (which I actually watched just an hour before seeing your post), the lifecycle for the Xenomorph is as different as Night and Day from Tyranids.

Alien:
Queen lays eggs
Egg hatches to Facehugger
Facehugger implants Embryo
Embryo matures, explodes from host's chest
Grows to full size within hours
??
Profit!

Tyranids exist to consume all genetic material in the universe and do so on a planetary scale
Tyranids:

The appearance of some Tyranids could be inspired by Alien however.
that sound like alien vs preditor the movie
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
jamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed it

jamer123

Posted 2008-06-26, 10:11 PM in reply to jamer123's post starting "that sound like alien vs preditor the..."
jamer123 said: [Goto]
that sound like alien vs preditor the movie
Either everything I've learned regarding Alien/Predator storylines has been wrong or....yeah.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker