Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

How to GAIN weight?
Posted 2008-11-05, 05:37 PM
I've been taking adderall for several months now, and my weight has dropped significantly. I'm 6'1". I was like 185-190 pounds when I began taking it, I believe, and I'm now at probably about 155 pounds. I have seen a decrease in the rate at which I'm losing weight, but I'm still losing it, and before long I'm going to be at unhealthy levels.

At first, I had a lot of trouble getting myself to eat, because it kills my appetite. I've managed to deal with that pretty well, so now I eat probably as much as I did before I started taking adderall. However, it seems as though I lose weight regardless of how much I eat, even if slower.

Naturally, I could just eat a tub of ice cream every day and gain weight, but I would prefer to gain weight in a way that isn't so unhealthy. Are there foods that will help me gain weight without clogging my arteries?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-11-05, 05:42 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "How to GAIN weight?"
Try eating 5 or 6 smaller meals a day. This isn't as hard as it sounds, but it does take some dedication. Using a program/website like FitDay can help you calculate your maintenance level for calories. Lets say you burn 2000 calories during your day to day life: sleeping, digesting, doing homework, working out. You want to eat about 300-500 calories over maintenance a day to gain weight healthily. Start with 2300, check your progress in 2 weeks and kick it up if necessary.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2008-11-05, 05:53 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Try eating 5 or 6 smaller meals a day...."
taking adderall has probably messed with your metabolism if youre still losing weight, exercise more and switch to a high carb diet ( eating average size meals 2 1/2 - 3 hours apart) and if you dont have time to eat that often, have something like a high carb protein shake 1-2 times ( not too close to your other meals, as they can cause bad gas, and possibly stomach aches)

if you wanto put on weight, don't just eat more as it will most likely just get stored as fat.. the human body is stubborn, you need to give it a reason to wanto grow! so make sure you're doing a decent amount of exercise along with your diet.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
PureRebel enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzPureRebel enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

PureRebel

Posted 2008-11-05, 05:57 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "How to GAIN weight?"
Shoot for a 50% carbs / 25% protein / 25% fat diet. Which is to say 50% of your calories will be from carbs. Note that fat is "calorie dense" so you don't need to eat much of it to get to that 25%, just gobble some nuts.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2008-11-05, 06:05 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Shoot for a 50% carbs / 25% protein /..."
oh and a quick bit of info for you k_a, although you wont really pay much attention to your calorie intake, you should just right down what you eat and at the end of the day just google a website that will tell you how many calories are in the food youre eating, or just look on the packaging if thats easier..

1g Protein = 4 calories
1g Carbs = 4 calories
1g Fat = 9 calories

since you're mainly aiming to put weight back on for now i'd stick to what grav said and stick to 50/25/25. you should never try and eliminate fats from your diet, as long as theyre from things like fish, red meats, eggs, and things like nuts and vegetables.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
PureRebel enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzPureRebel enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

PureRebel

Posted 2008-11-05, 09:17 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "How to GAIN weight?"
Can you test your body fat? You might actually get the benefit of being "ripped" out of this. Work out and take advantage of this gift bestowed upon you :P.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-11-05, 10:22 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Can you test your body fat? You might..."
there are ways but i think its rather annoying, theres the pinch test ( no idea how it works) and so many others. just google them ;P
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

PureRebel

Posted 2008-11-06, 11:26 AM in reply to PureRebel's post starting "there are ways but i think its rather..."
Protein shakes maybe?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-11-06, 12:35 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "Protein shakes maybe?"
You are wanting to gain weight?

The easist way to gain weight is to build muscle as muscle weight 5:1 outweighs fat, so start uping your protein intake and hit the gym.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-11-06, 01:15 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "You are wanting to gain weight? The..."
D3V said: [Goto]
You are wanting to gain weight?

The easist way to gain weight is to build muscle as muscle weight 5:1 outweighs fat, so start uping your protein intake and hit the gym.

Whoa, careful there. Muscle is only about 20% more dense than fat, not nearly the 5x you claim.

Think about it, one pound of fat obviously does not take up five times as much volume as one pound of muscle. Overweight people would be HUGE.

Still, muscle is a lot healthier to have than fat. You can add between 0.5-1.0 pound of muscle to your body per week.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2008-11-06, 01:38 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Whoa, careful there. Muscle is only..."
Muscle doesn't wiegh more than fat, Muscle is just more dense.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-11-06, 01:46 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "Muscle doesn't wiegh more than fat,..."
-Spector- said: [Goto]
OW.

Your logic hurts my brain.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-11-06, 01:57 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "Muscle doesn't wiegh more than fat,..."
-Spector- said: [Goto]
Wrong, and yes my ratio was off, I honestly didn't know. I just know muscle is much higher than fat.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-11-06, 04:24 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Wrong, and yes my ratio was off, I..."
for a skinny person the best way to gain weight is to up your carb intake as well as protein, if you dont have the energy to burn when you workout you're only going to be wasting your muscle cells. and also, if you're planning to lift weights often to help you gain weight, DO NOT overtrain, most people train one body part till they cant even move it anymore.. 9/10 this is overtraining, and can lead to a decrease in muscle volume and it will take a hell of alot longer to recover.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

PureRebel

Posted 2008-11-06, 07:39 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "OW. Your logic hurts my brain."
!King_Amazon! said: [Goto]
OW.

Your logic hurts my brain.
It depends on the context, I guess.

1 lb of fat weighs the same as 1 lb of muscle. In this sense, he's right. But this is being silly.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2008-11-06, 11:23 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "It depends on the context, I guess. ..."
I'm trying to gain 20 lbs. So far I've gained 8. Whey protein is good.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Xenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeXenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Xenn

Posted 2008-11-06, 11:40 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "How to GAIN weight?"
!King_Amazon! said: [Goto]
I've been taking adderall for several months now, and my weight has dropped significantly. I'm 6'1". I was like 185-190 pounds when I began taking it, I believe, and I'm now at probably about 155 pounds. I have seen a decrease in the rate at which I'm losing weight, but I'm still losing it, and before long I'm going to be at unhealthy levels.

At first, I had a lot of trouble getting myself to eat, because it kills my appetite. I've managed to deal with that pretty well, so now I eat probably as much as I did before I started taking adderall. However, it seems as though I lose weight regardless of how much I eat, even if slower.

Naturally, I could just eat a tub of ice cream every day and gain weight, but I would prefer to gain weight in a way that isn't so unhealthy. Are there foods that will help me gain weight without clogging my arteries?
You're taking it because you're prescribed to it right? If not then duh drop the adderall. If you are, then well, I'm sorry to say, but you wont get your appetite back if you keep taking an amphetamine whether its adderall or not. Try asking your doctor if there's something he's told other people that have your problem. Just eat more normally. The adderall isn't making you lose weight, it doesn't do that, it just makes you lose your appetite. I've taken amphetamines a little bit here and there, and they make you lose your appetite like no other. Just eat an amount you would eat before taking adderall. That's your problem.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish

Posted 2008-11-07, 12:08 AM in reply to slaynish's post starting "You're taking it because you're..."
I said in my post that I eat as much now as I did before I started taking it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-11-07, 12:14 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I said in my post that I eat as much..."
Oh my mistake, well the only thing you can do is just eat larger servings. I'm sure you know that 3500 calories are worth a pound. All that your situation leads to is that you've been eating far less than your caloric requirements. Maybe you could switch to a different medication? You could try buying some weight gainers at www.bodybuilding.com or www.massnutrition.com those are two of the cheaper websites I've been to. Are you smoking bud lately? That might be your best bet; get some hella munchies and just smash on some food. It'll never let you down.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish

Posted 2008-11-07, 03:00 AM in reply to slaynish's post starting "Oh my mistake, well the only thing you..."
hmm thats fucked up. the best way to grow is to just eat and eat and eat! just up your calorie intake like slaynish suggested
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

PureRebel