Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

2009 Scion tC
Posted 2008-11-17, 04:31 AM
Hey, I am deployed, and just bought a Scion tC without seeing it. (Do not make a comment on that lol. Life is about taking chances) Can anyone tell me if I can put subs/amp up to the stock head-unit? Or would I have to replace it. I got the upgraded Pioneer stereo head-unit, and I believe it comes with one subwoofer. My dad says it almost blew him outa the car, but he doesn't know much about systems.

I would love to put some JL Audio W7's in there, but I am not sure if I can, or how big to go.

I appreciate all your help
`~Working in the Mortuary Affairs field isn't so bad. It pays for my 2009 Scion tC, so I can't complain.~`
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Joka69 enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJoka69 enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Joka69

Posted 2008-11-17, 06:35 AM in reply to Joka69's post "2009 Scion tC"
Without reading up on the stock wiring harness for the TC's, I can tell you that YES, you can always add subwoofers/amplifiers without having to tap into your stock head unit.

There is a neat little $15 dollar device called a 'Line Out Converter' which takes the regular audio signal that is sent to your speakers, and converts it into two RCA jacks, which are required for your amplifier. You can get this device at Wal-mart for cheap, and at almost any stereo shop.

Now, i'll check around a little later today, but i'm pretty sure the new TC's have some preemptive pre-outs (they put them in place so you wouldn't have to change out the stock headunit) and in that case you'll be in luck!

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-11-17, 08:59 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Without reading up on the stock wiring..."
I thought so. I used to do a lot of stereos back in the day, but we always used new HUs. So, I have never come across a 'Line Out Converter'. I tried reading up on them, but the stupid ass government systems here like to block a bunch of shit. Thanks D3V
`~Working in the Mortuary Affairs field isn't so bad. It pays for my 2009 Scion tC, so I can't complain.~`
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Joka69 enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJoka69 enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Joka69

Posted 2008-11-17, 09:02 AM in reply to Joka69's post starting "I thought so. I used to do a lot of..."
Here is a line out converter:

And a nice diagram of how it works:

It's very simple. All you need to do is splice a positive and negative signal speaker wire running from your HU, and splice it into the L.O.C. You can still keep your speaker if you splice one set to the LOC and one to the speaker, it's pretty simple. Then just run your RCA's to your amp, and you're finished.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-11-17, 10:40 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Here is a line out converter: ..."
Damn lol seems simple enough. But since I have some cash to throw around lol, I may just have someone else install it. I've done my fair share, and the subs and amp I am looking to get are not cheap by a long shot lol. thanks for your help
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Joka69

Posted 2008-11-17, 10:45 AM in reply to Joka69's post starting "Damn lol seems simple enough. But since..."
Hey. Quick question. Ive been out of the loop with joining the army and getting deployed, I havn't done much with stereos. If I have 2 subs that run 500 W RMS, I would want a 2 chan 1000W amp right?

I am literally kicking myself for asking this lol. I used to know stereos down to fuckin everything...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Joka69

Posted 2008-11-17, 10:53 AM in reply to Joka69's post starting "Damn lol seems simple enough. But since..."
That's true. If you can find a decent shop locally like 90% of the time they will do a free install if you get an Amp and some subs from them, atleast here it's that way.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-11-17, 09:18 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "That's true. If you can find a decent..."
Lol I would love to know where you are from then lol. Back in WI most places charges around 100 for the install. Atleast, if I remember right. It used to be like 60 for the subs and 40 for the wires. Thats why I learned to do it myself. Cheaper lol. I havn't looked at the shops in VA let though so, who knows lol
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Joka69

Posted 2008-11-18, 04:19 PM in reply to Joka69's post starting "Lol I would love to know where you are..."
Well it depends on the setup. We've got a shop around here that has a few locations around Jacksonville called Daddy O's stereo. They usually have a package deal for about $299 or so that comes with some mediocore subwoofers, a cheap amplifier, and free installation. It's usually two 12's or two 10's.

I wish I had more motivation with car stereos, atleast even with automobiles in general as I'd love to open my own customization shop, but eh.

If you need any help with that, or with your HU let me know. I bet you can browse around google and find out about your HU if it has the plugs on the back or not, or just pop the dash apart real fast, loosen up the two screws and just look. I'm guessing since it's a '09 it's got a pre-amp, or one under the seat so the wiring in the back might look kinda weird. Who knows.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V