Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > RPGMaker

Picture question
Posted 2004-06-04, 12:25 AM
In some of my maps where I use pictures such as fog I experience an enormous slow down in the game speed.Is there anything I can do to stop the lag?

It mostly applies to scrolling fog graphics and lighting for torches.

If you need more info just let me know.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
ograx is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenograx is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

ograx

Run Full Screen, Disable background events, only run pictures on screen
Posted 2004-06-04, 06:36 AM in reply to ograx's post "Picture question"
Fog has its own weather effect, there's no real need for an image.. unless you want changing directions or something, because it only seems to scroll left slowly.

Lag = Lack of RAM, I think. Can't do much about that, as I've said before RPG Maker isn't known for its efficiency. Try running it in full screen mode to see what happens. The lag also might simply be caused by too many Parallel Process events in the background, use switches to turn them on/off.

Lighted torches can simply be set up as a charset with 4 frames (left/top/right/down). Unless you're saying you want the actual LIGHTING from the torches, like yellow circles around them or something.. if the lag becomes a problem (and it's not Parallel Process events that's causing it), cut down on the number of torches or turn "off" the pictures that aren't currently on the screen - no need to have torches running 100 steps off screen.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2004-06-04, 11:49 AM in reply to BlueCube's post "Run Full Screen, Disable background..."
Is the map only effected by parallel processes on the map or is it also the ones on the other maps that lead to problems?

P.S. I have 1028 mb ram,should I get some more or is that usually adequate?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
ograx is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenograx is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

ograx

Posted 2004-06-04, 01:46 PM in reply to ograx's post starting "Is the map only effected by parallel..."
On the map + Common events

---

1 gig of RAM should be enough. But again, we're talking about RPG Maker here.

"hay guys i'm going to suck up 20k RAM just for a fog effect is that okay"

Haven't tested it with a bunch of Common Events, and Parallel Processes in the background. I should do a Random Performance Test (TM) to see how much RAM the thing sucks up.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2004-06-04, 02:14 PM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "On the map + Common events --- 1..."
On my map with fog it was 23084 kb.On the map with lots of torches and lighting effects it was 56011 kb.In a basic house 40x15 it was 5609 kb.

Also in some of the tutorials I read,they encountered similar problems when running certain weather with pictures on the screen.They used wait commands and end event processing to negate the lag effect but I have had no luck with that.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

ograx

Posted 2004-06-04, 05:24 PM in reply to ograx's post starting "On my map with fog it was 23084 kb.On..."
Yeah, my advice still stands: Either use "tripwires" to turn on torches in your immediate area, split up the map into smaller chunks, or simply reduce the number of pictures on the screen at once.

If it doesn't seem like RAM is the problem here, it might just be too much competition for CPU cycles.. turn off other stuff in the background that you take for granted, or try setting the RPG_RT.exe to high priority. GO RPG MAKER GO
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

BlueCube

Posted 2004-06-04, 05:59 PM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "Yeah, my advice still stands: Either..."
BlueCube said:
Yeah, my advice still stands: Either use "tripwires" to turn on torches in your immediate area, split up the map into smaller chunks, or simply reduce the number of pictures on the screen at once.

If it doesn't seem like RAM is the problem here, it might just be too much competition for CPU cycles.. turn off other stuff in the background that you take for granted, or try setting the RPG_RT.exe to high priority. GO RPG MAKER GO

It appears it only lags on me in test mode.
I just created the game executable and ran it only to find that it runs perfectly with no substitutions made.Why it runs bad in test mode but not in the game who knows.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

ograx

Posted 2004-06-04, 07:03 PM in reply to ograx's post starting "It appears it only lags on me in test..."
I had the same problem in my CBS..but that was cuzz I had a bunch of pictures and paralell events. Ran fine in normal game mode.

~ KAMAHAME---Oh shit it's happening again.... ~
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzTyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Tyrannicide

Posted 2004-06-05, 12:33 PM in reply to ograx's post starting "It appears it only lags on me in test..."
Interesting. It must be just the RPG Maker program itself that screws everything up. Well, looks like I learned something new today, w00t.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

BlueCube