Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Booting from a USB Pen drive
Posted 2009-06-22, 04:41 PM
K I gotta question, this girl asked me to fix this tiny computer that doesn't have a cd drive or a floppy drive, only SD card/USB drives. Anyway It's got xp on it, it needs to be reformatted and blah blah.

Anyway, say I have the ISO of Windows xp home, (Thats what was previously installed) how would I got about putting this onto a flash drive and booting it? Should I extract the files, just transfer the ISO, or is it impossible?

Thanks-

Spec
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2009-06-22, 04:42 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post "Booting from a USB Pen drive"
I think you need some cracked version. Use a free install of Ubuntu instead.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2009-06-22, 06:18 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post "Booting from a USB Pen drive"
You could try some kind of jump drive, if that's possible. Not sure, I've never used anything but this big hunk-a-data.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2009-06-23, 02:39 AM in reply to -Spector-'s post "Booting from a USB Pen drive"
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-5928902.html

It's old, but it should still work (though one or two points might need updating).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2009-06-23, 09:20 AM in reply to -Spector-'s post "Booting from a USB Pen drive"
power on > Bios > set boot as usb/drive.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-06-23, 09:21 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "power on > Bios > set boot as..."
Thanks lenny, that's going to be my best bet I think.. so difficult.

And it's not quite that easy D3v, for what I'm trying to do.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2009-06-23, 09:26 AM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "Thanks lenny, that's going to be my..."
Oh sorry I skimmed the thread. Lenny is right with that link. Just installing your OS onto a jumpdrive is the tricky part. You can use NERO and get the free version, it does it easily for you.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-06-24, 12:28 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Oh sorry I skimmed the thread. Lenny is..."
This keeps getting more and more complicated. >.>

http://www.ngine.de/article/id/8/

The only problem with these articles is that I dont want to install XP to the USB drive, I want to install XP FROM the USB drive, as if it was the XP CD.

BLEH
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

-Spector-

Posted 2009-06-24, 01:40 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "This keeps getting more and more..."
Oh! OK then.

I've not done it for a while, but I think all that needs to be done is to extract the files from the XP ISO onto the USB and set the USB as the bootable device.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2009-06-25, 09:16 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Oh! OK then. I've not done it for a..."
Lenny said: [Goto]
Oh! OK then.

I've not done it for a while, but I think all that needs to be done is to extract the files from the XP ISO onto the USB and set the USB as the bootable device.
Exactly right.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V