Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

i need to ask a computer related question.
Posted 2004-06-22, 02:27 PM
background:
i need some help resolving a problem i've been having for months that i've tried to resolve without success. around easter i went on vacation for a week or so, only to come back to a computer that would restart out of nowhere. it got gradually worse. at first, it seemed random at first. now, whenever i do something stressful to my computer (and sometimes things that are not stressful) it just locks completely.

*please note: i can change the way the computer acts by checking "automatically restart". if this is checked, when the system fails for whatever reason this is happening, it will just restart. if it isn't checked, the computer completely locks indefinitely*

things i've noticed and suspected:
i noticed that whenever i'd play a game that would stress my computer, it would lock so i suspected the graphics card. however, switching it out with another did not fix this. then i went into my bios's hardware monitor, and i could clearly see my cpu temperature rising steadily. so i went and applied more thermal gel, cleaned the fan and the heatsink out, and applied a box fan to the side of my case to try and keep the temp down. after this, it still did not fix my problem. to this day, i suspect either the mobo for giving false readings, or the cpu being shorted. (that happens sometimes, doesn't it?)

solutions i've tried:
switching ram (that was the first hunch i had, however both sticks of ram are good)
switching power supplies
applying new thermal paste to my cpu
switching hard drives
using new cables

solutions i haven't tried:
switching cpu
switching mobo

for educational purposes, i will list:
things i can run without freezing (all the time):
internet explorer (froze once or twice)
mozilla (froze once, just today)
nnnesterJ - nes emulator
cuteftp
winamp
photoshop (only froze one time ever)
macromedia flash (froze once)
aim
visualboy advance - gba emulator (froze a few times)
snes9x - snes emulator
fruityloops studio producer (froze when rendering a song)

things i definitely can't run:
counter-strike
battlefield 1942
zsnes - snes emulator
hitman 2
bomberman online
mame32k - arcade emulator
anything that trys to render a video for more than a minute or so

basically, when i hear my harddrive start to spin up, and it spins for about a minute and a half, it will all of a sudden lock and the hard drive will stop spinning. however, the hard drive seems to not be the problem, considering i've switched hard drives 3 times to try and fix the problem, and i've switched the cables also.

to avoid the problem, i've just been chatting, posting on forums, messing around in flash, photoshop, and fruityloops, and playing emulators. of course, i own all the games i have as roms.

can anyone provide a possible solution outside of switching my mobo or cpu? although that may be the culprit, i'll have to wait to attempt something like that.

Edit: 
i suppose computer specs would help:
shuttle av41p (mobo)
2.6ghz p4 500fsb (cpu) /w stock intel cpu fan+hsink
1.5gb pc2100 ddr (ram)
80gb maxtor (hd)
radeon9200 se (vid card)

Last edited by symnzXx; 2004-06-22 at 02:31 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
symnzXx is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweensymnzXx is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

symnzXx

Posted 2004-06-22, 04:07 PM in reply to symnzXx's post "i need to ask a computer related..."
Sounds like definite overheating. Add case fans.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2004-06-22, 04:28 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Sounds like definite overheating. Add..."
What kind of power supply are you using? You already said you tried a different one, but I'm still curious.

Now, for a few easy cooling solutions. Make sure your wires are tightly binded and out of the way. Maybe cut a blowhole in the top of your case. Oh, and install yourself some more fans like your boyfriend Grav said.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
uncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenuncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

uncapped

Posted 2004-06-22, 04:28 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Sounds like definite overheating. Add..."
would a fucked up cpu overheat even if adequate cooling was added?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
symnzXx is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweensymnzXx is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

symnzXx

Posted 2004-06-22, 04:29 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Sounds like definite overheating. Add..."
What kind of Motherboard do you have? There have been cases of bad caps on Motherboards about a year or so ago. Check the caps and make sure they aren't bent out of shape or deformed.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kockblocker1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkockblocker1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

kockblocker1

Posted 2004-06-22, 04:30 PM in reply to symnzXx's post starting "would a fucked up cpu overheat even if..."
How much cooling? You shouldn't need more than a few fase cans and the stock CPU fan.

You might need to get some Arctic Silver 3 to put between the heatsink and CPU..
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2004-06-22, 04:31 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Sounds like definite overheating. Add..."
Case fans didn't help me. I got a 6000 RPM uber-CPU-fan. Still, I'm running faster than I should be, so I suspect a short in the processor. Yes, that can happen.

I'll bet if you replaced your processor, that would fix your entire problem.

Anyhow, the problems you're experiencing are almost exactly what I had. My computer restarted (very rarely) by itself. It got worse over time. I had a hard time booting up sometimes. Eventually, it wouldn't make it to Windows when booting. It would just shut itself off during the boot process.

I tried different cables. I tried a different video card. I tried swapping ram. I bought a new power supply. I bought a new mobo. Finally, a big motherfucking CPU fan fixed the problem. I kept all the gear though. It was all a nice upgrade over what I had.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-06-22, 04:35 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "How much cooling? You shouldn't need..."
GravitonSurge said:
How much cooling? You shouldn't need more than a few fase cans and the stock CPU fan.

You might need to get some Arctic Silver 3 to put between the heatsink and CPU..
i just recently dumped a new packet of thermal paste and cleaned out the heatsink and fan, so they're running optimally. that seemed to keep the temperature down a bit. i have the side of the case open and the back of the case has empty holes where the pci slots are, so i have a big box fan blowing air into it and the air is certainly circulating. please note that it is very cool in my house, as the air condtioning is on. i definitely don't think it has to do with air circulation as much as cpu corruption.

i have a shuttle av41p, by the way.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

symnzXx

Posted 2004-06-22, 04:38 PM in reply to symnzXx's post starting "i just recently dumped a new packet of..."
Then it's possible that

A) Your motherboard has broken transistors or snapped off capacitors.

B) Your CPU is on crack.

C) You're a liar, and need to die.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2004-06-22, 04:46 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Then it's possible that A) Your..."
My CPU did that once. I just moved it and havn't had the same problem in a year...

Open your computer, get the compressed air, and fucking SPRAY THE FAN. Open it and SPRAY THAT SHIT. It helps, trust me. Also move it higher, or make it so its not so cramped. Think of it like this: If you're in a small place, and you cant breath the well, you're going to spaz out and start moving around. Thats how your comp is.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish

Posted 2004-06-22, 04:51 PM in reply to slaynish's post starting "My CPU did that once. I just moved it..."
grav, why the fuck would i spend all that time writing that if it was a lie?

slaynish said:
My CPU did that once. I just moved it and havn't had the same problem in a year...

Open your computer, get the compressed air, and fucking SPRAY THE FAN. Open it and SPRAY THAT SHIT. It helps, trust me. Also move it higher, or make it so its not so cramped. Think of it like this: If you're in a small place, and you cant breath the well, you're going to spaz out and start moving around. Thats how your comp is.
CAN YOU READ? I SAID TWICE THAT I JUST RECENTLY CLEANED MY FAN AND HEATSINK. I'M NOT SAYING IT AGAIN.

Edit: 
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...06-032&depa=1p
thinking about ordering this.

Last edited by symnzXx; 2004-06-22 at 04:54 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

symnzXx

Posted 2004-06-22, 05:00 PM in reply to symnzXx's post starting "grav, why the fuck would i spend all..."
"Highest Performance" 6000 RPM

That should help your problem. It may not fix the problem, but there is a good chance it will remedy the symptoms of it. As I stated before, though, it still may be a problem with your CPU.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-06-22, 05:04 PM in reply to symnzXx's post starting "grav, why the fuck would i spend all..."
Medieval Bob said:
"Highest Performance" 6000 RPM

That should help your problem. It may not fix the problem, but there is a good chance it will remedy the symptoms of it. As I stated before, though, it still may be a problem with your CPU.
i'll order it and see if it helps any. thanks for the feedback Bob.

Last edited by Medieval Bob; 2004-06-22 at 05:43 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

symnzXx

Posted 2004-06-22, 05:45 PM in reply to symnzXx's post starting "i'll order it and see if it helps any...."
Thread cleaned of spam and flames. Try to keep it on topic. If you don't have anything to contribute or haven't read the entire thread including the introduction, do not reply.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-06-22, 05:50 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Thread cleaned of spam and flames. Try..."
thanks bob.

does anyone have anything else they can think of that would possibly solve my problem?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

symnzXx

Posted 2004-06-22, 09:23 PM in reply to symnzXx's post starting "thanks bob. does anyone have..."
Then you may want to clean out the part where he states:

CAN YOU READ? I SAID TWICE THAT I JUST RECENTLY CLEANED MY FAN AND HEATSINK. I'M NOT SAYING IT AGAIN.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish

Posted 2004-06-22, 11:53 PM in reply to slaynish's post starting "Then you may want to clean out the part..."
Being off topic giving advice on how to moderate is not normally recommended. Besides, I left it because the second half of his post links to something relevant to the thread.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-06-23, 12:27 AM in reply to symnzXx's post starting "thanks bob. does anyone have..."
Is your processor overclocked at all? Maybe there was some damage done to it if it was....

Not sure, I know shit about this aspect of computers.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2004-06-23, 06:17 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Is your processor overclocked at all? ..."
no, i've never in my life tried to over clock a processor. i've never had the need for it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

symnzXx

Posted 2004-06-23, 08:59 AM in reply to symnzXx's post starting "no, i've never in my life tried to over..."
I never overclocked mine, and I think something's wrong with it nonetheless. Overheating due to dust or poor air circulation can damage the processor. Even after improving cooling and circulation, the damage is still done.

You order that CPU fan yet?
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob