Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

What do you believe?
Posted 2007-08-27, 01:43 PM
Just to make this clear, I don't mean for this to be a thread about religion, or rather a thread solely about religion.

I want to know what you believe about certain unknowns in our world. Do you believe the big bang theory? Do you believe we're all doomed eventually when the universe recollapses? Do you believe there is a supreme being who watches over or influences us? Do you believe there was a supreme being who started everything but has since taken a hike?

I'm not targeting any once specific topic. Anything that you think might be considered controversial or unconfirmable.

I don't want this to end up a debate about who is right or who is wrong, though I do hope that it will lead to that elsewhere. I encourage you to start debates with people, but do try to keep it out of this thread.

I'm somewhat undecided about whether or not there is a supreme being or any sort, myself. I've considered such things as there being not a supreme being but rather a supreme power of some sort that is not necessarily a sapient "being." There are things such as dark matter, gravity, etc, that we can somewhat theorize about but we can't seem to completely explain. Perhaps these are examples of or part of this "supreme power."

I do believe in the big bang theory. All of the evidence points to such an event and it's becoming pretty widely accepted these days. The only problem with such an event is that it almost makes a supreme being or power of some sort a necessity in explaining why it happened, whereas an infinite universe with no beginning and no end has no specific event that must have been caused by something.

However, there is the question in my mind of whether or not the universe will ever contract. There seem to be two possible outcomes in my mind, either the universe will continue to expand, never reaching but approaching zero expansion, or it will eventually reach the end of it's expansion and start contracting, similarly to how a ball thrown up into the air eventually stops and then returns. The evidence currently points to the former, since the average density of the universe doesn't seem to be dense enough to where gravity will eventually get a grip on it and bring it back. However, there are some things we can't really accurately account for, such as dark matter, so it's hard to say either way.

I'm going to leave it at that for now, but give a few topics that people can build on(and perhaps I'll address later.)

Evolution
Black Holes
The speed of light and how it affects our universe
Time Travel
Unified Theory
Dark Matter
Crazy Shit

ETC.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-27, 02:21 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "What do you believe?"
I believe there is something that has influence over us, but doesn't act upon it, or hasn't yet to my knowledge. I've read about God being on different planes of existance, and our time is unaffected by him, apparently.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-08-27, 02:48 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I believe there is something that has..."
Ya, rather than make up some fanciful theory about how god might possibly exist, I'd rather just say some dipshit talked about it to make a few free bucks from some poor suckers. As for believing the big bang. I do believe it because there is evidence that everything in the universe is moving away from each other...which means it's all moving away from the center of the explosion.
"Ban shampoo, demand real poo"
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Slyvr enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSlyvr enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Slyvr

Posted 2007-08-27, 02:49 PM in reply to Slyvr's post starting "Ya, rather than make up some fanciful..."
C'mon guys, you can give us more than that. I want more than a couple of sentences.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-27, 02:53 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "C'mon guys, you can give us more than..."
Well I don't feel like writing any essays right now...
"Ban shampoo, demand real poo"
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Slyvr enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSlyvr enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Slyvr

Posted 2007-08-27, 03:48 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "C'mon guys, you can give us more than..."
I believe in the philosophy of rational, objective inquiry. Plain and simple. I know you want something longer KA, but I just don't have the time today. Perhaps I will expand over the weekend. Or maybe sooner if possible.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-08-27, 03:49 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I believe in the philosophy of..."
That's fine, I'm sure I won't be disappointed so it's worth the wait.

I just want to add, feel free to address any of the other topics I mentioned, or anything else. I don't want this thread to be all about the big bang and God.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-27, 04:38 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "That's fine, I'm sure I won't be..."
Honestly, we don't have near the evidence either way for me to believe in either wholly, I've always maintained an open mind to these kinds of things.

The most believable story at the moment is the theory that there is (was) a White Hole at the center of the universe that spewed forth matter collected from another universe (a Big Bang alternative theory).

Since Evolution is pretty much a given, many accounts in the Bible would be wrong (or misinterpreted at best), the whole Adam and Eve thing would be off, however it could have been a metaphor for the world at large how God created the world and Satan had sent it on its course of evolution.

There's honestly so many ways that this could be looked at, believing in one blindly seems rather foolish to me without any real evidence one way or the other. I maintain an open mind to all things until evidence surfaces. You could say I'm Theological Switzerland.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-08-27, 04:41 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Honestly, we don't have near the..."
Just wanting to collect my thoughts on other threads I'd like to start based on what's been said here so far:

- Big Bang and General Relativity
- Deism -- I plan on writing another one of my religion threads attempting to debunk this idea
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-08-27, 07:52 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Just wanting to collect my thoughts on..."
I would be interested to add to or comment on the Big Bang and General Relativity stuff.

By the way, I've been reading A Brief History of Time, a dude from work let me borrow it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-27, 07:57 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I would be interested to add to or..."
!King_Amazon! said:
I would be interested to add to or comment on the Big Bang and General Relativity stuff.

By the way, I've been reading A Brief History of Time, a dude from work let me borrow it.
Didn't you order that a few months ago? How do you like it so far?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-08-27, 09:39 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Didn't you order that a few months ago?..."
I did order it but it ended up getting returned after ONE failed delivery.

I'm loving it, he's a brilliant dude. I'm in like chapter 5.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-27, 10:16 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I did order it but it ended up getting..."
To me, evolution is based on what is happening in your surrounding areas and what situations you are involved in (both learning and facing competition). I do believe in a "higher power" but i also believe that man is the front runner for evolution, both physically and mentally. For example, our ancestors (the caveman) moved with the herds of the time. After they hunted and herds moved on, the caveman would take his family and move to the next area where he could hunt because his life depended on three things, food, shelter and sex. The caveman faced many hardships out in the world, short life spans, hunger and in most cases, death. Once caveman learned to farm, there entire world changed. By staying in one spot, their lifespan increased, hunger diminished and civilizations were formed. Herds would leave but migrate back, so food sources were plentiful. The caveman evolved because of the situation that they were in.

Another situation which shows evolution also occurs with the caveman. What some call natural selection, others call survival of the fittest. We all make jokes like if you and a friend see a sick dog foaming at the mouth, and he charges, just make sure your faster then your friend. This was the case with the caveman’s evolution. He had to learn to be quick on his feet, so that he could catch his food and escape sure death from predators. He also had to be smarter, which lead to him becoming educated (hey they did figure out fire didn’t they)

Another example which proves that man has caused evolution could be traced back to the Industrial Evolution. Many "mom and pop" stores created products with their own two hands, in which case made for long periods of time without products to sell. Since products were in demand, only a certain amount could be made and this made for stiff competition (because others could make the same product). Because of this competition, people founded ways (creating machines to do the job for them) to make the same products faster, cheaper and quicker, which left competitors in the dust. People evolved by taking simple ideas (sewing for example) that had been the norm for all those centuries, and put them in machine form (sewing machines).

If you look today, man makes evolution all the time. A new and better IPOD is released, a new updated computer system, a bigger and more powerful weapon of destruction, the list goes on. It seems to me that evolution comes with education. So is it safe to say that evolution=education/ competition? I think that this could be the case, but I also believe that the situation depends on what is happening at that specific time and what is the norm that all people face.

I have other examples which helps me prove my point, but I do not have time right now to list them. Maybe ill post more later.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2007-08-28, 03:17 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "What do you believe?"
First and foremost, I do not, in any sense, think that there was an intelligent sentient entity or entities that created the universe. As a matter of fact, I emphatically deny the existence of such a being. There is no ultimate purpose for the universe. It simply exists. The same thing goes for all life on earth. True, we have some evolutionary imperatives, however in the grander scheme of things we exist without any purpose.

I accept Darwin's theory of evolution as fact. I do not accept it precisely as Darwin explicated it, as it has been modified and refined over the last century, but I absolutely think that descent with modification is fact. I accept all of the obvious implications that go along with the theory, such as a multi-billion year old earth, a common ancestor between any two organisms, and that there is no implicit hegemony in the animal kingdom.

On a somewhat related note, I think it is fairly probable that aliens exist. The fundamental constituents of life are known to be prevalent in the universe. An understanding of evolution also allows me to know that the phenomena of life is not based on random chance, in which case life would be extremely improbable, but on a meticulous system which manipulates the fundamental constituents of life. Unfortunately, the scope of our search is limited. We can not probe with much detail outside of our solar system. However, if we were able to investigate places more suitable to life with greater detail I would not be surprised to find life there.

The big bang becomes increasingly clear to me as I continue reading. I accept the theory. It appears that in all likeliness any new evidence we uncover will either support or slightly modify the big bang theory rather than replace it.

Black holes probably exist. Same with dark matter. That is all I have to say about them.

I don't think the speed of light itself influences our universe at all. It's simply the upper speed-limit of the universe. Our realization that it is the upper speed limit of the universe, and also that it is the same in all inertial reference frames affects our understanding of the universe profoundly, though.

There is nothing extraordinary about time travel. We do it all the time. We're doing it right now. We can even manipulate how fast we travel through time, but only to a slight extent. We constantly travel through space-time at C -- the only thing is in general most of that is being done in the time dimension. Velocity causes something somewhat analogous to a rotation of the space-time coordinate system, which allows us deflect some of that velocity we use traveling through time in order to travel through space.

I do not accept any currently proposed grand unified theories of physics. String theory seems to be a promising line for inquiry, though.

Above all I believe in the scientific method for ascertaining the secrets of our universe. Rational inquiry should always take precedent over anecdotes and personal revelation.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-08-28, 08:43 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "First and foremost, I do not, in any..."
Now that's what I wanted.

I think I might make a thread about the speed of light and time travel later.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-28, 02:10 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Now that's what I wanted. I think I..."
I will really find it to be a great let down if we're on the brink of "understanding the beginning of the universe" etc etc. We've pretty much just begun in our research. Can it really be that simple that such a perplexing thing can be figured out in a matter of centuries?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-09-20, 04:23 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "I will really find it to be a great let..."
Here's another great einstein quote for you fella's. "A question that sometimes drives me hazy. Am I or are they crazy?"

Here's my theory on alien life I'll throw out there for you guys, I haven't been on here in a while but this thread was intriguing. I believe that there's most likely no life forms in our solar system that resemble anything like us, the other planets are obviously too inhabitable. This is what perplexes myself... There are so many other stars out there that are explained as similar to our sun that there must be a few planets, at least, that have some sort of living beings on them. It's a little arrogant to think that in the entriety of the universe we are the only ones... The other planets that could host life may be more advanced or drastically less advanced than us. As gruesomeBODY posted, it is most likely in direct correlation to their environment.

So there's my two cents.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JoshTheftAuto is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJoshTheftAuto is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

JoshTheftAuto

Posted 2007-09-21, 05:03 PM in reply to JoshTheftAuto's post starting "Here's another great einstein quote for..."
The beauty of it Josh is that there are habitable zones for just about every star out there that is still burning. The star doesn't have to resemble Sol nor does the planet need to resemble the Earth in regards to size/distance requirements, these all change with the star being orbited.

Then you can't forget the satellites orbiting those planets, or the possibility of extremophiles on planets/satellites within our own solar system. Due to tidal warming on moons like Europa, there may be liquid water beneath the icy shell that makes up the planets outer surface. If there is, you could imaginably see extremophile forms of life similar to what you find near thermal vents at the ocean floor right here on earth.

When you add that kind of information to how many stars there are out there, the assumption that we're the only form of life in this universe seems ridiculous. Other intelligent life may certainly be out there, how and when we learn of it may certainly be centuries away just due to distances involved.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-09-22, 09:59 AM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "The beauty of it Josh is that there are..."
I think there's very likely millions of planets with life forms that're evolved past the single cell phase. Also, if you put that maybe there's 1 intelligent civilization per galaxy (which I doubt since a galaxy is so -huge-) then there are billions of intelligent civilizations out there.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-09-22, 11:26 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "I think there's very likely millions of..."
Willkillforfood said:
I think there's very likely millions of planets with life forms that're evolved past the single cell phase. Also, if you put that maybe there's 1 intelligent civilization per galaxy (which I doubt since a galaxy is so -huge-) then there are billions of intelligent civilizations out there.
Exactly my line of thinking, the odds of us being the only life out there (intelligent life even) are just too high for me to believe that we're only ones.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker