Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Me and SteveHarris
Posted 2005-11-01, 12:08 PM
Myself and SteveHarris (we're both from the dragoon elites and you've more than likely seen me posting around the site) are picking up WoW next week when his new computer gets here. Any tips for Race/Class/Tradeskill we should be? Also, what server should we get on to play with you guys and such?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
sue_13 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweensue_13 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

sue_13

Posted 2005-11-01, 12:27 PM in reply to sue_13's post "Me and SteveHarris"
You fuckers. You are abandoning the Dragoons with your new games! Stop it now, or you shall die!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2005-11-01, 12:40 PM in reply to sue_13's post "Me and SteveHarris"
If you want to play with me, Illidan.

Vollstrecker and a couple of other people play some other server I think. I forgot what server they play on.

Randuin plays Mal'Ganis.

As for race, anything that is horde pretty much. Don't bother playing alliance, alliance just sucks, they are always getting ganked on all of the servers I have played on.

Class, I wouldn't pick rogue or warrior as your first class, because they are very gear dependant, and unless you are planning on buying gold or something, money will be tight no matter what you pick, and a warrior or rogue wouldn't be well equipped to own. You're best off picking a caster class since they are much less gear dependant.

So, for the caster classes:

Shaman: My personal favorite class, one of the many reasons why I play horde. Shaman has basically all of the good qualities of other classes built into one, making the shaman a very customizable class for whatever you want to do. Shaman can be used as either:

Mainly fighter, partially caster, partially healer.
Partially fighter, mainly caster, partially healer.
Partially fighter, partially caster, mainly healer.

Or any mixture of the threee. You can buff up either aspect of the shaman as much as you want, since the 3 talent trees of the shaman corrosponds to these three aspects of the shaman.

So basically, with a shaman, you can beat the crap out of your enemies, while casting spells and healing yourself as needed. Shamans can also resurrect, reincarnate(bring themself back instantly after death with 20% health and mana, great for suprising someone who just ganked you and isn't expecting it, or saving an instance group.), and they get a travel form at level 20.

Mage: Almost a completely caster class, the mage rarely ever uses melee except as a last resort. This class has one of the highest DPSs (Damage Per Second) of any class, and when matched with a healer they can be a very awesome farming class as well, since they have many AOE (Area of Effect) spells. I don't know a ton about mages, but I have played one before and I enjoyed it much.

Priest: The priest is a pretty versatile class as well. This can be a very nice solo class, or it can be a very nice grouping class. Priests can be great at PVP, or great at PVM. Once again, I don't know a whole lot about priests, though I did have one of my own. This is my 3rd favorite caster class.

Warlock: Warlocks use DOT(Damage over time) spells to do massive amounts of damage spread over time, great for slapping on someone that is running away and just waiting for them to bleed to death. Warlocks also use minions to help them out. Once again, I don't know much about warlocks either, except that if you want to PVP you have to spend a long time farming soulstones from what I've heard. Probably my 4th favorite caster class.
Druid: This is the black sheep of the game. I don't like druids myself. It's very easy to get end-game gear for druids since there are usually very few druids in an end-game raid. Druids can be pretty good if played right. There really isn't much more I can say about them, they are pretty much just gimped shamans. This is my least favorite caster class.

So that's it for the casters. I would highly suggest playing a shaman, but you don't have to take my advice.

Now, professions. I'll first list the gathering professions, then the creation professions.

Gathering professions are:

Herbalism: You pick flowers and herbs.
Skinning: You skin beasts that you've killed. This is probably the best if you're just using it purely for gathering, since you don't have to go out looking for anything, you'll be killing things anyway.
Mining: You mine ore and mineral deposits.

Creation professions are:

Alchemy: This one can be very profitable when you get it to higher levels. You basically make potions, and you can also transmute things at later levels.
Leatherworking: This one can also be profitable at higher levels, but it's INCREDIBLY BORING. You make mostly leather and some mail armor. My shaman was a skinner/leatherworker and I dropped leatherworking for enchanting.
Blacksmithing: You make mail and plate armor and weapons and such.
Engineering: Probably the most fun creation profession, though it can be a bit expensive, and you don't really make money from it since almost everything you make can only be used by engineers. I liked this profession but if you're wanting to make money this one isn't for you.
Tailoring: You make cloth goods from cloths that you find off of humanoid enemies.

Now, the one profession that doesn't fit in either of those categories, but kinda fits in both. Enchanting.

Enchanting is a pretty interesting profession. You disenchant items into raw materials which you can use to enchant other items. You can sell the raw materials or just sell the enchants. This profession is pretty expensive to level up but also very profitable. I used it SOLELY for disenchanting items and then selling the raw goods, which I found to be a very good way of making money. Since your enchanting level doesn't effect your disenchanting in any way, you don't have to level up your enchanting, which means you purely make money. When coupled with a gathering profession this can be a very great way to make money.

Now I'll go over the combos:

Mining/Blacksmithing: Basically the same as skinning/leatherworking except you actually have to go out hunting for mines.
Mining/Engineering: You still have to go hunting for mines, and you aren't going to make any money either, just spend it. Lots of fun, no profits.
Herbalism/Alchemy: Same with mining, you have to go out looking for herbs
Skinning/Leatherworking: Like I said above, this one is boring, and it was never profitable for me, but I didn't get it to very high levels either.
Tailoring/Enchanting: This is a good combo since tailoring doesn't require a gathering skill and neither does enchanting, and you can disenchant things that you tailor. The only bad thing about this is you also need cloth for first aid and unless you are a healer you will NEED first aid.
Enchanting/Any gathering profession: This is what I would suggest. Enchanting and SKINNING is probably the best, since you don't have to go out looking for monsters to skin, you just skin them as you go.

There are 3 second professions which you can get all 3 of and you should(minus first aid if you are a healer, I never needed it as a shaman).

So, if you take my advice, my suggestion would be a horde, Tauren (or Orc or Troll. I prefer Tauren) Shaman with Skinning and Enchanting, using the Enchanting just for disenchanting items and selling the raw goods.

And that is that. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Sorry if this is sloppy or whatever, I wasn't trying to make it pretty.

Last edited by !King_Amazon!; 2005-11-01 at 01:43 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-11-01, 12:43 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "If you want to play with me, Illidan. ..."
Or you could play GW with me, undeadzombieguy, lenny, gravitonsurge, hades-knight, king amazon(when wow servers are down), shade, kidagakash, and glory gamer.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2005-11-01, 01:25 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "Or you could play GW with me,..."
I play alliance on Lightning's Blade. I'd advise you to not play on that realm, because chances are I won't help you.
So this baby seal walks into a club.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
ask_rabber is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenask_rabber is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

ask_rabber

Posted 2005-11-01, 01:40 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "If you want to play with me, Illidan. ..."
I edited my previous post with lots of info, check it out.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-11-01, 02:00 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I edited my previous post with lots of..."
Me, Vollstrecker, Timmay1113, LittleJoey, Slim, and Geeks all play on Burning Legion, horde.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2005-11-01, 02:11 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "If you want to play with me, Illidan. ..."
!King_Amazon! said:
Class, I wouldn't pick rogue or warrior as your first class, because they are very gear dependant, and unless you are planning on buying gold or something, money will be tight no matter what you pick, and a warrior or rogue wouldn't be well equipped to own. You're best off picking a caster class since they are much less gear dependant.
The reason I wouldn't pick either of those classes is because they're fairly overpopulated, at least on my server.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
ask_rabber is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenask_rabber is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

ask_rabber

Posted 2005-11-01, 02:36 PM in reply to ask_rabber's post starting "The reason I wouldn't pick either of..."
Yes, but they are also very good classes. It's just really hard to make either of them good if it's your first character, since they are so gear dependant.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-11-01, 02:45 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Yes, but they are also very good..."
Thanks for the info K_A... I was thinking shaman or mage in the first place so your guide just makes me wanna play that more. Odds are I will play Burning Legion since that appears to be where the majority or you guys play. Are you all in the same guild or anything like that?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
sue_13 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweensue_13 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

sue_13

Posted 2005-11-01, 02:58 PM in reply to sue_13's post starting "Thanks for the info K_A... I was..."
KA forgot to mention that end-game as a mage your job is to conjure water for like an hour and distribute it to all the mana users. Also, caster damage doesn't scale for crap once you hit 60 because getting better gear for the most part just increases the amount of time you can spend doing damage. However, I find that mages most of the time kick my ass and are a fairly solid class.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

ask_rabber

Posted 2005-11-01, 03:18 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "You fuckers. You are abandoning the..."
Titusfied said:
You fuckers. You are abandoning the Dragoons with your new games! Stop it now, or you shall die!
I fucken second that- WoW is awesome, but not as great as Halo. Get your asses back to the dragoons asap
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2005-11-01, 05:26 PM in reply to sue_13's post starting "Thanks for the info K_A... I was..."
sue_13 said:
Are you all in the same guild or anything like that?
Yup. Fairly big guild. We run MC every week at least through Domo, and we've started doing Rag, though we haven't taken him down yet. We also run Onyxia once a week. It's a fairly friendly group. Guild is closed to recruiting, but I can talk to Vollstrecker if you'd like me to.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2005-11-01, 07:14 PM in reply to sue_13's post "Me and SteveHarris"
I actually want to try out Alliance now
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Randuin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Randuin

Posted 2005-11-01, 07:24 PM in reply to Randuin's post starting "I actually want to try out Alliance now"
Randuin said:
I actually want to try out Alliance now
As do I. But not alone.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2005-11-01, 07:40 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "As do I. But not alone."
Me and Randuin are starting up a little later today, feel free to join us on azgalor. He made a NE rogue and I made a NE priest.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-11-01, 08:00 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Me and Randuin are starting up a little..."
All alone on Dalaran.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusion

Jessifer

Posted 2005-11-01, 08:02 PM in reply to Jessifer's post starting "All alone on Dalaran. :("
Ahahahahahahahaaaa..... what a shitty server.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Randuin

Posted 2005-11-01, 08:19 PM in reply to Randuin's post starting "Ahahahahahahahaaaa..... what a shitty..."
what kind of server is dalaran?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
iceman887 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweeniceman887 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

iceman887

Posted 2005-11-01, 08:21 PM in reply to iceman887's post starting "what kind of server is dalaran?"
Obviously, a shitty one that no one plays on
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Randuin