Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Respeccing my mage
Posted 2005-01-14, 02:23 PM
Not changing trees, just the focus.

I'm quitting Improved Arcane Explosion, for one. As sweet as it is, it's really not neccesary nor good for my health; fact is that it draws a ton of aggro to me, and I'm ill-equipped to deal with it; in cases where I survive, I usually would also survive dealing with them one at a time. Also, as I wasn't using my frost spells much cause they sucked, I started just going down the arcane tree toward that kick at the very bottom, but I've found that the frost tallents make the frost spells more usefull and that the arcane tallents are for the most part crap. Really, the only reason to stay in arcane is for the you're-insane-if-you-non-challantly-ignore-it evocation and the 10%-less-mana-usage-overall Arcane Concentration. The rest of the tree is full of too much bullshit to be worth working your way down to the +35% DPS spell at the bottom.

My new build (immediate):
Improved Arcane Missles 5
Arcane Concentration 5
Evocation 1
Improved Frostbolt 5
Ice Shards 4
Improved Frost Nova 2
Improved Blizzard 3
Frost Chanelling 3
Shatter 3
Ice Block
As I level, I will get the following:
43 Shatter 4
44 Shatter 5
45 Ice Shards 5
46 Frostbite 1
47 Frostbite 2
48 Frostbite 3
49 Frostbite 4
50 Frostbite 5
51 Ice Barrier
52 Improved Cone of Cold 1
53 Improved Cone of Cold 2
54 Improved Cone of Cold 3
55 Piercing Ice 1
56 Piercing Ice 2
57 Piercing Ice 3
58 Winter's Chill 1
59 Winter's Chill 2
60 Winter's Chill 3

So, as soon as I respec, I will have both the awesome Evocation and the awesome Ice Block (Removes ALL bad status effects except Res Sickness and can be ended early), and my frost spells will be a lot more usefull then I will soon be doing Frost Nova+Cone of Cold for a 50% chance of a sweet critical and be well on my way to my own personal Power Word: Shield (Ice Barrier)

Before I respec, I'm going to test out a rumor that just one point in arcane meditation elliminates the 5 second mana regen timer; if this is so, then I'll probably get Improved Arcane Explosion 4 (to get the prereq) and Arcane Meditation 1 after Ice Barrier, cutting out the last 5 tallents in my current plan; the last 6 are really just minor tweaks anyway.

Last edited by WetWired; 2005-01-14 at 02:28 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2005-01-14, 02:48 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Respeccing my mage"
I fought ONE mage in PvP who used ice block. We laughed for a while, then killed him.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2005-01-14, 04:46 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Respeccing my mage"
The only problem I see with this is that you're using frost. Frost gives you more control vs. melee opponents, but there are things that can prevent it from becoming effective at all....Free action potions for one.

I'm going fire/arcane. For my final talent I'm deciding between Presence of Mind (next spell with a cast time < 10 seconds becomes instant cast), or combustion (next fire spell is a guaranteeed critical). So far I'm loving fire, and have no problems with any melee chars I've fought. You should give it a shot.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Slim shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeSlim shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Slim

Posted 2005-01-14, 06:21 PM in reply to Slim's post starting "The only problem I see with this is..."
Where does Free Action say it helps against chill effects? If I slow you to 10% movement speed, a Free Action Potion won't do shit. Ice Block is for getting out of DoT, Fear, Disease, etc. If you actually wait the full time on it, you're stupid.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2005-01-15, 01:11 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Where does Free Action say it helps..."
It makes you immune to stun and root effects, and I think snare as well (cold is considered a snare I believe)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Slim shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeSlim shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Slim

Posted 2005-01-15, 09:03 AM in reply to Slim's post starting "It makes you immune to stun and root..."
I'm not talking about freeze, I'm talking about chill. In any case, as Surge will tell, in PvP groups, my blizzard now owns; all enemies slowed to 35% of normal movement=everyone is easy targets for my friends.

Last edited by WetWired; 2005-01-15 at 09:06 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2005-01-15, 09:54 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "I'm not talking about freeze, I'm..."
In large PvP, as long as everyone is attacking me (which they usually are) then the blizzard is amazing. I don't even have to shock anyone, since they can barely move.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2005-01-17, 09:44 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "In large PvP, as long as everyone is..."
WW that build is going to be raped by other mages that go full arcane/fire.
I use to be a shoe shinner now I sip Aunt Jamima, I go to sleep in Europe and wake back up in China. CLUB 977 The 80's Channel!!!!! -winamp radio is heaven on earth
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
zagggon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenzagggon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

zagggon

Posted 2005-01-17, 11:32 AM in reply to zagggon's post starting "WW that build is going to be raped by..."
Yeah, but he stands a higher chance against meleers, which are what I seem to run into most frequently, not sure about him. I constantly have rogues, warriors, pallys, and even druids (rarely) trying to jump me. For the most part I can win, but it's usually a close fight as fire/arcane.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Slim

Posted 2005-01-18, 11:04 AM in reply to zagggon's post starting "WW that build is going to be raped by..."
zagggon said:
WW that build is going to be raped by other mages that go full arcane/fire.
And then that mage will be promptly raped by one of WW's brethren. Not sure how your guild does it but we look out for eachother on Illidan.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
pr0xy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenpr0xy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

pr0xy