Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Unhappy Jaguars release RB Fred Taylor
Posted 2009-02-17, 08:07 AM
Yep. It's official, as of yesterday Jaguars'RB Fred Taylor was set free to try a new organization and a new team.

Me personally, I have nothing but respect for Fred Taylor, and wish him the best of luck with his future in the league, he has done great things here in Jacksonville the last 4-5 years, but now it is time for MoJo to finally become the featured back, and Greg Jones' role to be increased. I am happy with the call, and hope the Jaguars will let Fred Taylor retire as a Jaguar, in the future.

Taylor passes torch to young backs
Chooses release over retirement

http://jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=7658

Quote:
The torch was passed to Maurice Jones-Drew, following a Monday morning meeting at which Taylor was given the option to retire or be released by the team. He elected to be released.

“He clearly wanted to play football so, out of respect to him, we’re doing this early so he’ll have a chance to catch on (with another team),” Del Rio told reporters on Monday afternoon.

Del Rio, Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver, General Manager Gene Smith and football operations chief Paul Vance met with Taylor and his agent Drew Rosenhaus near the Ft. Lauderdale airport. Taylor knew about the meeting as early as last Friday and was prepared to announce his decision.

Taylor was due a $1 million roster bonus by the Jaguars early in March but after the start of free agency. The team could’ve declined to pay the roster bonus and allowed Taylor’s contract to expire at that point, but the decision was made in advance of that date to give the team and Taylor a fresh start now. Taylor was also due to be $5 million in salary in ’09.

“We just see a very talented group of backs, a very competitive group, and felt it’s time to move on as a football team,” Del Rio said. “He’s still got some talent. I’m sure there’ll be interest by other teams.”

“At that position we have a group of young, ascending players and you (only) have one ball,” Smith said.

Taylor had said late last season that he would be willing to take a pay cut to stay with the Jaguars, but Del Rio said the team had no such negotiations with Taylor and that the decision to release him was solely for football reasons.

“We felt this was best for us going forward. It’s time for a younger version,” Del Rio added, referring to Jones-Drew, who will become the team’s feature running back in 2009.

Jones-Drew made that a foregone conclusion last season when he took the team rushing lead away from Taylor. Jones-Drew rushed for 824 yards and 12 touchdowns. Taylor slumped to 556 yards rushing and one touchdown, though injuries on the Jaguars offensive line were a major reason for the decline.

Smith was given full authority on all personnel decisions, as part of Smith’s promotion to general manager. The decision to release Taylor, which certainly involved owner Wayne Weaver, is Smith’s most dramatic call to date and he did not deflect responsibility.

“It’s my decision, from a roster standpoint. Having been through the Tony Boselli situation probably prepared me for this,” Smith said, referring to coach Tom Coughlin’s decision to leave Boselli unprotected in the 2002 expansion draft. Smith was the Jaguars’ director of college scouting at that time.

Smith termed the release of Taylor a “well-reasoned decision in the best interest of the organization,” and referred to Jones-Drew as “a player we want here into the future. He’s a younger Fred Taylor, in essence.”

Taylor rushed for 11,271 yards in his 11-year Jaguars career. He is 16th on the all-time NFL rushing list.

“I want to thank Wayne Weaver and the coaches and the Jaguars organization for 11 great years,” Taylor said on Monday. “I feel healthy and I’m determined to continue my career. I understand the team’s decision to move on and I have nothing but warm feelings for the Jaguars organization.”

“We spent time talking about the various scenarios. We want to see more Maurice and more Greg Jones. It was difficult to see a role that would’ve been acceptable for everybody,” Del Rio said.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-02-18, 10:22 AM in reply to D3V's post "Jaguars release RB Fred Taylor"
I saw this on ESPN and lol'ed. Why'd they get rid of him after all the hard work he's put in as a Jag?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2009-02-18, 01:11 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "I saw this on ESPN and lol'ed. Why'd..."
There is a misconception of how much work he's really done as a Jaguar. Up until about 4-5 seasons out of the 11 Fred Taylor was never interview-friendly, he would constantly be late for practice etc etc etc. What's odd is he even opted to take a very "substantial" pay cut, and the Jaguars would not budge to try and make a deal with him.

It's time anyways for Maurice Jones Drew and Greg Jones to take the reigns of the offensive running attack. I guarantee (injury pending) that Greg Jones is going to suprise the most people this season being that he will have about a split rushing attack with Maurice. It's going to be awesome this year.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-02-19, 10:42 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "There is a misconception of how much..."
Just like last year, huh?

I'm glad, because I love MJD, and I hope he performs better this upcoming year.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2009-02-19, 10:59 AM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "Just like last year, huh? I'm glad,..."
I am happy as well, there are no hard feelings between anyone, it's pretty much a mutal decision all around from what we're being told.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2009-02-27, 12:45 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I am happy as well, there are no hard..."
Well, according to NFL.com Freddy T has signed with the New England patriots..

blah.

I'm not mad though, he will always be a Jaguar and of course will most likely retire as one..

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/l...132376&catid=3

Quote:
Terms of the contract have not been disclosed, but the 11-year veteran was offered deals from the two teams he visited this week, Buffalo and New England.
In the end, Fred chooses to sign with the Patriots who will be one of the favorites to return to the Super Bowl this season as Tom Brady is expected to make a full recovery from the knee injury which caused him to miss most of last season.
Taylor will compete for carries with Kevin Faulk, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Laurence Maroney, and Sammy Morris.
The Jaguars released Taylor, the team's all-time leading rusher, last week. He was a first round draft pick in 1998 and made the Pro Bowl in 2007.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2009-03-02, 06:06 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Well, according to NFL.com Freddy T has..."
And Dawkins is officially a Bronco. We play them this year too, and that will be very strange.....
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2009-03-02, 01:03 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "And Dawkins is officially a Bronco. We..."
I can't wait for Draft day!

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2009-03-03, 07:50 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "I can't wait for Draft day!"
Looks like you may be getting an Eagles, Tra Thomas. He's visiting Jacksonville right now, and he's stud. My Eagles are killing me this offseason... To many losses, and not enough gains.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Titusfied

Posted 2009-03-03, 09:50 AM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "Looks like you may be getting an..."
Yeah, I've read about that on Jacksonville.com. I'm excited about how things are looking for this future season, looks like we're cutting strings with almost all old players as spicer, mike peterson, and a few other vets are all looking to be cut this year. Time for the future I guess? It sucks though that some tradition will be lost, but then again it's all about winning, baby.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V