Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Books / Novels / Etc.
Posted 2007-04-24, 10:18 AM
So, who here reads books? I just started reading a few years ago, and now that I've been traveling for work a lot over the last year, I've found time to read a boat load! So, which books are your favorites, and do you have any favorite authors?

Dan Brown and David Baldacci are two authors that I really enjoy. I've read all 4 Brown books, and most of Baldacci.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2007-04-24, 10:31 AM in reply to Titusfied's post "Books / Novels / Etc."
I love reading. J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter series), Christopher Paolini (Inheritance trilogy), and Susan Cooper (The Dark Is Rising series) are among my favorites.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusion

Jessifer

Posted 2007-04-24, 11:09 AM in reply to Titusfied's post "Books / Novels / Etc."
Graphic Novels for me. I do have a light novel coming in in the next few days though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2007-04-24, 11:21 AM in reply to Titusfied's post "Books / Novels / Etc."
Just got done reading the biography of Bob Marley. That dude was a genius.

Now I'm reading The Godfather.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-04-24, 11:26 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Just got done reading the biography of..."
I read the Harry Potter books, that's about it. I used to read a lot more when I was in school. I do tons of reading online, but I guess that doesn't really count.

I am going to start reading A Brief History of Time as soon as I get it in the mail. Mjordan suggested it to me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-04-24, 11:35 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I read the Harry Potter books, that's..."
What about The Da Vinci Code? That's such a common book to read, but it's still a great one. BTW, if you liked that book, you should read any of his other 3 books he has out (Dan Brown), they are all pretty damn good. Deception Point is my favorite actually, and was more enjoyable than Da Vinci Code.

I recently read a book about Ted Bundy by Ann Rule. Now that book was intense, especially since the author knew Ted Bundy in real life, worked with him, socialized with him, etc. throughout the whole killing spree and she had no idea it was him. Great book.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2007-04-24, 12:28 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "What about The Da Vinci Code? That's..."
If we're talking about novels, I love anything by Orson Scott Card, Kurt Vonnegut, HG Wells, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, J.K. Rowling, and some other stuff.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-04-24, 01:31 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "If we're talking about novels, I love..."
Orson Scott Card's books are tight as hell. I've read the whole Ender/Bean series. Awesome books.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-04-24, 04:34 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Orson Scott Card's books are tight as..."
No idea who that is? Synopsis anyone?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Titusfied

Posted 2007-04-25, 10:14 AM in reply to Titusfied's post "Books / Novels / Etc."
Favourite books and authors... now that's a toughie.

I'll read anything and everything that's Sci-Fi or Fantasy, really. At the moment I've got a pile of books out from the library - Larry Niven, Sean McMullen, Robert SIlverberg, Robin Hobb, Terry Goodkind, David Gemmell, Jennifer Fallon.

My favourite authors have to beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... Walter Moers and Terry Pratchett.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-04-25, 12:23 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "No idea who that is? Synopsis anyone?"
The Ender saga starts with the story of Earth preparing for the second invasion of aliens. The first was barely repelled by an amazing pilot, and the inhabitants of Earth don't want to leave the future of their planet to chance. There is a space station where children are taken to train to be the next defenders of Earth. Ender's taken to train when he's 6.

The Shadow series (also in the Ender's Game storyline) is about another boy, named Bean, who trained with Ender at battle school. I liked this series more than Ender's series (aside from Ender's Game -- it's definately the best).

I would really, really reccomend these books. The only thing is that there are three completely different feels to the books of the series. Ender's Game is concerned with the experiences of the children. Bean's series details the aftermath of Ender's Game. It's got a lot of politics in it, which I normally wouldn't be very fond of, but the books do it so well that I was enthralled the entire time. The rest of Ender's series has a more... mature feel to it. It's a lot about emotions and human interaction.

Anyhow, I'd reccomend reading them in the order of which they're set:
Ender's Game
Ender's Shadow
Shadow of the Hegemon
Shadow Puppets
Shadow of the Giant
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind

You won't regret reading these books. Additionally, if you've got lots and lots of time to kill, try your hand at Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. It's great writing... it just reads SO slow.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2007-04-25, 01:19 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "The Ender saga starts with the story of..."
I agree wholeheartedly.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Thanatos

Posted 2007-04-26, 04:21 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "I agree wholeheartedly."
I read whatever i can get my hands on. As of last week, i read the 4 books to the halo series, and before that i read all 4 of the LOTR books, inlcuding The Hobbit. But that is of late. I love reading anything taht is interesting.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2007-04-26, 04:52 PM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "I read whatever i can get my hands on...."
Quote:
before that i read all 4 of the LOTR books, inlcuding The Hobbit.
Five, now - The Children of Hurin was released a few weeks ago. It was something that Tolkein only did drafts of, and has been painstakingly built by one of his nephews, and now published. I think it's set at the time when Sauron was naught but a commanding officer in the armies of evil. Supposed to be a great read.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-04-27, 12:20 AM in reply to Titusfied's post "Books / Novels / Etc."
I need to start reading again, but I used to all the time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2007-04-27, 06:37 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Five, now - The Children of Hurin was..."
Lenny said:
Five, now - The Children of Hurin was released a few weeks ago. It was something that Tolkein only did drafts of, and has been painstakingly built by one of his nephews, and now published. I think it's set at the time when Sauron was naught but a commanding officer in the armies of evil. Supposed to be a great read.
Oh really, thanks for that Lenny. I am now off to to the bookstore to buy it
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2007-04-27, 08:00 AM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "I need to start reading again, but I..."
I've never read a lot, but now it seems like i NEVER have time. Kaneda reads a lot though...not as much lately either.
Your fucking stupid
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
klo shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeklo shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

klo

Posted 2007-04-27, 10:09 AM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "Oh really, thanks for that Lenny. I am..."
For anyone else who is interested, this is the synopsis of Children of Hurin, from Amazon:

Quote:
Painstakingly restored from Tolkien's manuscripts and presented for the first time as a fully continuous and standalone story, the epic tale of The Children of Hurin will reunite fans of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings with Elves and Men, dragons and Dwarves, eagles and Orcs, and the rich landscape and characters unique to Tolkien. There are tales of Middle-earth from times long before The Lord of the Rings, and the story told in this book is set in the great country that lay beyond the Grey Havens in the West: lands where Treebeard once walked, but which were drowned in the great cataclysm that ended the First Age of the World. In that remote time Morgoth, the first Dark Lord, dwelt in the vast fortress of Angband, the Hells of Iron, in the North; and the tragedy of Turin and his sister Nienor unfolded within the shadow of the fear of Angband and the war waged by Morgoth against the lands and secret cities of the Elves. Their brief and passionate lives were dominated by the elemental hatred that Morgoth bore them as the children of Hurin, the man who had dared to defy and to scorn him to his face. Against them he sent his most formidable servant, Glaurung, a powerful spirit in the form of a huge wingless dragon of fire. Into this story of brutal conquest and flight, of forest hiding-places and pursuit, of resistance with lessening hope, the Dark Lord and the Dragon enter in direly articulate form. Sardonic and mocking, Glaurung manipulated the fates of Turin and Nienor by lies of diabolic cunning and guile, and the curse of Morgoth was fulfilled. The earliest versions of this story by J.R.R. Tolkien go back to the end of the First World War and the years that followed; but long afterwards, when The Lord of the Rings was finished, he wrote it anew and greatly enlarged it in complexities of motive and character: it became the dominant story in his later work on Middle-earth. But he could not bring it to a final and finished form. In this book Christopher Tolkien has constructed, after long study of the manuscripts, a coherent narrative without any editorial invention.
It actually sounds like a good book, to say that it's pure 'High Fantasy'.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2007-04-27, 10:29 AM in reply to klo's post starting "I've never read a lot, but now it seems..."
klo said:
I've never read a lot, but now it seems like i NEVER have time. Kaneda reads a lot though...not as much lately either.
Personal ads don't count as novels young lady .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood