Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Math question help
Posted 2004-02-24, 07:19 PM
11. Suppose that a 5-foot-long chandelier falls from a 35-foot ceiling and that you are 6 feet tall and standing directly under the chandelier (See figure below).

(a) How long do you have to get out of the way?
Time = ___seconds

(b) If you do not duck or get out of the way, how fast will the chandelier be traveling when it hits your head?
Speed = ___feet/second

(c) If you were only 5 feet tall, how much greater would the speed of the chandelier be when it hit your head?
Speed will be ____feet/second greater

Anyone have anyidea??
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Ganga is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenGanga is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Ganga

Posted 2004-02-24, 07:32 PM in reply to Ganga's post "Math question help"
11. A: Approximately 1.54 seconds
11. B: 15.1 m/s
11. C: I don't know...

no idea if those are right...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2004-02-24, 09:42 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "11. A: Approximately 1.54 seconds 11...."
A) The chand has 24 feet to fall before hitting you.
Since I do not know where the naught key is, I will use @ instead.

X = X@ + V@t + 1/2(a)t^2
X@ = 24
V@ = 0
a = -9.81 m/s^2 = -32.2 ft/s^2

So, when X = 0,
0 = 24 - 1/2 (32.2) (t^2)
t^2 = 48/32.2 = 1.4907
t = sqrt(1.4907) = 1.22 seconds (plus or minus, but since time is only positive...)

1.22 seconds.

B)

V = V@ + at

V@ = 0 So,

V = at

t = 1.22 from A)

V@ = (-32.2) (1.22) = -39.3 feet/second

39.3 feet/second downward

C)

There's a much easier way to do this, but I can't remember the equation... Anyhow...

X = X@ + V@t + 1/2 (a) t^2

X@ = 25 feet
V@ = 0
X = 0

0 = 25 - 1/2 (32.2) t^2

t^2 = 50/32.2 = 1.55

t = sqrt(1.55) = 1.25 seconds

V = V@ + at

V@ = 0

V = (-32.2) (1.25) = -40.25 feet/second

Since speed is a scalar and has no direction, the difference is |-40.25 - -39.3| = .95

0.95 feet/second greater

With all physics, regardless of whether or not the problem was worked correctly, there is a 20% chance that those answers are incorrect. If I cared more, I would check the answers, but... I don't care. I only do this because I enjoy it. *sigh*

Btw, this is physics, not math.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?

Last edited by Medieval Bob; 2004-02-24 at 09:45 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-02-24, 09:57 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "A) The chand has 24 feet to fall..."
thx, only if little bit earlier. I use up all my submition
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Ganga is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenGanga is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Ganga

Posted 2004-02-24, 11:15 PM in reply to Ganga's post starting "thx, only if little bit earlier. I use..."
Heh, seems a little much to use the @ key as the naught. Vo looks much better than V@, not to mention much easier to read. Apparently, you don't have much MATLAB, Maple, etc. programming experience with these types of problems.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2004-02-25, 07:50 AM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "Heh, seems a little much to use the @..."
Bleh. The @ key was just the first thing that popped into my mind. I wasn't trying to think of keys that looked like naught. I was thinking of keys that were round and unused, and @ was better than * and most certainly #.

I've used MATLAB before but only once. Other than that, my programming classes have yet to hit the useful stage.

Current Program: Multiple arrays of input, one array of pointers, organizing and re-arranging data.

WOW! THAT'S NOT POINTLESS!
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-02-25, 08:14 AM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Bleh. The @ key was just the first..."
First I did

24=4.9*(t^2)

and solve for T for seconds... what did I do wrong there? I know the funtion is

D=V(initial)*T-(4.9*T^2)

is the funtion I remeber wrong???

Oh fuck, now I know I didn't convert Meters to Feets.... I swear to god... stupid american M system...

Last edited by Ganga; 2004-02-25 at 08:17 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Ganga