Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

Zelaron "disapproves" of more than four posts a day
Posted 2008-05-20, 03:09 AM
It seems to me that the activity-meter is somewhat faulty in that it awards people for only posting a maximum of four posts per day. Thus in some way feeling... "Disapproves" of posting more than four posts per day, as it could be better "saving" those posts for tomorrow.

Is this just me or does this feel wrong in that it semi-awards steady, low-class activity but not bursts of inspiration/madness?

Would not a different system be better, also - why does this system even exist in the first place? Personally, I see no problems with the old: More posts = more ranks, high enough post-count = custom rank or similar "bonus".

"That surface that tells the Heavens it hath an end, cannot persuade me I have any."
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Yawgmoth enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzYawgmoth enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Yawgmoth

Posted 2008-05-20, 04:17 AM in reply to Yawgmoth's post "Zelaron "disapproves" of more than four..."
The thing is, everyone posts more than 4 times a day anyways. We just try for at least that.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2008-05-20, 05:08 AM in reply to Asamin's post starting "The thing is, everyone posts more than..."
Why doesn't the system award people who post in greater numbers but less frequently? Four posts a day seems a bit... Arbitrary. Why not a weekly "quota" ? What is the reasoning for having a activity-o-meter in the first place? It seems like an odd solution to the problem of inactivity and not very... Encouraging, to those who post a bit more erratic but still want to be productive members of the community.

Also, for some lesser men and women - it might feel discouraging to have this daily quota of posts to fill if they want to have a high activity-meter. Also, the Longevity-bar feels unnecessary to me.

"That surface that tells the Heavens it hath an end, cannot persuade me I have any."
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Yawgmoth enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzYawgmoth enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Yawgmoth

Posted 2008-05-20, 06:10 AM in reply to Yawgmoth's post starting "Why doesn't the system award people who..."
Well spam, really. We used to have great problems with people spamming simply to up their post count - that was in the days of the shop (which I joined too late for, alas ).

As for the longevity bank, I think it's nice to see that you're chatting to someone who's maybe just started to while away their life online, or someone who's spent the past four years doing it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-05-20, 06:11 AM in reply to Yawgmoth's post starting "Why doesn't the system award people who..."
Why do you care what your bars look like anyway? This comes up every so many months, and I never understand the motivation. Do you feel like more of a man when your activity bar is longer? What does it matter?
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2008-05-20, 10:35 AM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Why do you care what your bars look..."
Welcome to the 1 bar club.

And necessairily, I wouldn't say "zelaron" Disapproves of more than 4 posts a day, like above said it's just atleast trying to hit that mark, but without rewarding people for spamming. Maybe moving that bar to 6 posts or something would change things up a bit, but I doubt we'd have any more or any less 100% activity person(s)

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-05-20, 01:18 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Welcome to the 1 bar club. And..."
Is it me or does Yawgmoth take this forum thing a little too seriously
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2008-05-20, 01:21 PM in reply to Wallow's post starting "Is it me or does Yawgmoth take this..."
I want an IP check, I think he's another member that has been around forever.. not sure who though.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-05-20, 01:38 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I want an IP check, I think he's..."
Maybe its... THE1?????!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-05-20, 01:46 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "Maybe its... THE1?????!!!!!!!!!!!!"
This is a point where our forum needs a sound track.

Ba Bu Bum!
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2008-05-20, 02:08 PM in reply to Yawgmoth's post "Zelaron "disapproves" of more than four..."
The point of the activity bar is to discourage spam and encourage constant participation. We used to have people who would come on one day a week, post 100 posts of dubious quality (I'm not exagurating at all), then barely show their face. The activity bar forces them to participate on a more constant basis and hopefully discourages spam. The bar is set low because it's supposed to be a goal that everyone is capable of reaching without spamming. 100% activity means "I am a committed contributer to the community," not "I am the 1337 master, bow to my awesomeness." The post count is still there (unless you disable it), so it's not as if your additional contributions go unnoticed.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-05-20, 02:30 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "The point of the activity bar is to..."
Yea. Lenny dared me to post 100 posts in one day. That's when WW disabled my postcount for a couple years, rofl .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-05-20, 02:31 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Yea. Lenny dared me to post 100 posts..."
Rofl, that's awesome. I could so hit 100 in a day if I wanted to.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-05-20, 02:38 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Rofl, that's awesome. I could so hit..."
Yea, it took me years to get my postcount back, haha. I had to have Sov tell me what my postcount was otherwise.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-05-20, 02:44 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Why do you care what your bars look..."
@Medieval Bob: I care about the meters because they are there. As I am to awesome to check the archives, I just asked. Also, I do not see your reason for attempting to insult me.

@Wallow: Why shouldn't I care? We could be so much more.

Also, I guarantee - I am not an old member of Zelaron that has returned from the dead, especially not this "THE1" - who was that?

Hmm, but one can be a committed contributor to the community without posting everyday, as I assume the activity-meter is the basis for getting the different avatar-thingy: It is undeniably a sort of "desireable" status (which I assume is the point? Post a lot and you win special prizes!) and as such it does not seem logical to punish people who might not be online every day.

The activity-meter does not bother me or anything, but it could be better. As it's purpose is basically to reward activity, it would be better if getting "rewards" would be easier?

The longevity-meter on the other hand, why simply not the join date?

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Yawgmoth

Posted 2008-05-20, 02:47 PM in reply to Yawgmoth's post starting "@Medieval Bob: I care about the meters..."
The longevity meter skips a step. When you look at someone's join date, you really want to know: "How long have they been here compared to me." You see your longevity on every one of your posts, so when you see theirs you have an instant comparison without any math. You can always mouseover the longevity if you want to know the actual join time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-07-08, 03:18 AM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Why do you care what your bars look..."
Medieval Bob said: [Goto]
Why do you care what your bars look like anyway? This comes up every so many months, and I never understand the motivation. Do you feel like more of a man when your activity bar is longer? What does it matter?
Yeah everyone knows it's the Longevity bar that makes you more of a man.

Stanley Cups
2015 Stanley Cup Champions: The Chicago Blackhawks. C-Jonathon Toews
2014 Stanley Cup Champions: The Los Angeles Kings. C-Dustin Brown
2013 Stanley Cup Champions: The Chicago Blackhawks. C-Jonathon Toews
2012 Stanley Cup Champions: The Los Angeles Kings. C-Dustin Brown
2011 Stanley Cup Champions: The Boston Bruins. C-Zdeno Chara
2010 Stanley Cup Champions: The Chicago Blackhawks C-Jonathon Toews
2009 Stanley Cup Champions: The Pittsburgh Penguins C-Sidney Crosby
2008 Stanley Cup Champions: The Detroit Red Wings C-Nicklas Lidstrom
2007 Stanley Cup Champions: The Ducks Of Anaheim C-Scott Neidermayer
2006 Stanley Cup Champions: The Carolina Hurricanes C-Rod Brind'Amour
2004 Stanley Cup Champions: The Tampa Bay Lightning C-Dave Andreychuk

Longevity

TWELVE YEAR VETERAN (October 2002)

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
quikspy67 shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifequikspy67 shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

quikspy67

Posted 2008-07-08, 03:55 AM in reply to Wallow's post starting "Is it me or does Yawgmoth take this..."
Wallow said: [Goto]
Is it me or does Yawgmoth take this forum thing a little too seriously
I'm glad he does.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-07-08, 09:46 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "I'm glad he does."
Ohh sure, I guess you voted for Yawgmoth keeping his rank as supreme moderator in that poll
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2008-07-08, 09:51 AM in reply to Wallow's post starting "Ohh sure, I guess you voted for..."
Na he didn`t he just wants whats best for the forum.

Stanley Cups
2015 Stanley Cup Champions: The Chicago Blackhawks. C-Jonathon Toews
2014 Stanley Cup Champions: The Los Angeles Kings. C-Dustin Brown
2013 Stanley Cup Champions: The Chicago Blackhawks. C-Jonathon Toews
2012 Stanley Cup Champions: The Los Angeles Kings. C-Dustin Brown
2011 Stanley Cup Champions: The Boston Bruins. C-Zdeno Chara
2010 Stanley Cup Champions: The Chicago Blackhawks C-Jonathon Toews
2009 Stanley Cup Champions: The Pittsburgh Penguins C-Sidney Crosby
2008 Stanley Cup Champions: The Detroit Red Wings C-Nicklas Lidstrom
2007 Stanley Cup Champions: The Ducks Of Anaheim C-Scott Neidermayer
2006 Stanley Cup Champions: The Carolina Hurricanes C-Rod Brind'Amour
2004 Stanley Cup Champions: The Tampa Bay Lightning C-Dave Andreychuk

Longevity

TWELVE YEAR VETERAN (October 2002)

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
quikspy67 shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifequikspy67 shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

quikspy67