Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

College Scholarships
Posted 2008-04-07, 02:16 PM
Should scholarships that are funded however be alotted to a person(s) because of their nationality?

Regardless of their grades/gpa/attendance and well-roundedness.

I'm just curious of why there are still such biased ideas floating around. I think personally that after we elect a black president everything should become equal

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-04-07, 02:19 PM in reply to D3V's post "College Scholarships"
It should not be based upon race. It should be based upon grades/gpa/attendance and well-roundedness. If colleges could get high school transcripts without description of race, there would be no discrimination.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2008-04-07, 02:26 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "It should not be based upon race. It..."
I have actually changed my opinion on affirmative action and think that they should be allotted with race as a factor in some cases. I have tests all week. If you want a more reasoned response, give me until . . . Sunday.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-04-07, 03:00 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I have actually changed my opinion on..."
Mjordan2nd said:
I have actually changed my opinion on affirmative action and think that they should be allotted with race as a factor in some cases. I have tests all week. If you want a more reasoned response, give me until . . . Sunday.
This tends to be my opinion and I'm pretty sure everything MJ is going to say is basically what I would say if I weren't a lazy ass. So what he said and is going to say is what I say.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-04-07, 03:34 PM in reply to D3V's post "College Scholarships"
Schollarships should be based entirely off of academic potential and financial resources already available. Unfortunately, it seems that the people deciding will always have bias if they know about other stuff, so requiring certain percentage allocations is a necessary evil for now. Scholarships where the primary requirement is that you are a certain race, however, are retarded.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-04-07, 05:52 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Schollarships should be based entirely..."
I have not investigated this particular issue in detail as educational politics in the U.S. are beyond my temporal scope these days.

At the risk of appearing ignorant, racist and autocratic, I will henceforth make various assumptions as an experiment in seeing if U.S. politics can be trivialized without having read any relevant news from the U.S. since year -∞.

Most (long-established) instititions, organizations and foundations responsible for offering scholarships in the U.S. are domineered by racist, imperialist caucasians who somehow think the white mind is the right mind. In response to this, in the conjoined sheeple's mind's pursuit of equilibrium and delightful heat death of the universe, some scholarships are now being specifically granted to members of particular ethnical minorities to offer them a so-called chance. Subsequently, the former racists are accusing the latter racists of publicly being racist.

So, should these "racist" scholarships be allowed to exist? No. The system itself should be fixed, e.g. by:
  • Removing ethnicities from school transcripts as suggested earlier in this thread, saving an average of over 9.42 billion liters of printer ink every year.[1]

• Automatically assigning random 10-character alphanumerical names to all inhabitants, thus preventing the possibility of racial recognition through locally unconventional and foreign names. Natural selection would thus, as a bonus, favor those with intellects capable of remembering character strings more complex than "Pokemon", failing the rest at the "Name" part of college entrance exams.

• Genetically reprogramming caucasians using nanotechnology to prevent their ability to visually distinguish different colors and values. And for the sake of benevolence and equality, by giving everyone else the same treatment.

Thus we have concluded some possible advantages of removing racist scholarships from the U.S. educational system.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2008-04-07 at 07:25 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-04-07, 05:59 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "I have not investigated this particular..."
It has more to do with socioeconomic status than race. Having race based scholarships should be against the law. If you're anything but white you've access to great scholarships at my college that is NOT dependant on financial need. It's a rather low GPA requirement and you get free college. It's bullshit.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-04-07, 06:40 PM in reply to D3V's post "College Scholarships"
eh my posts are useless. fuck em.
When my time comes, I want to be burried face down. That way, anyone that doesn't like me, can kiss my ass!

Last edited by talentedhamster; 2008-04-08 at 07:26 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
talentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

talentedhamster

Posted 2008-04-08, 08:05 AM in reply to D3V's post "College Scholarships"
Scholarships should be awarded entirely on academic merit. To make race a factor is plain stupid.

It's definitely a failing in the English education system (note I said English - Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland have separate ways of dealing with education) in that Universities get money for meeting a sort of "race quota", if you will. Each University has a certain number of scholarships and places they can award for each course. They could award them all to British students, and not receive as much money in the form of government funding, or they can award a small number to foreign students and get more money.

I've got friends who have had their applications declined simply because the University in question needed to fill their race quota. It's something that a lot of teachers get angry about, and something that you see discussed with a lot of venom on forums for Universities.

Education as a whole should not take race into account. If someone has the ability to earn places at top Universities through academic achievement, then they deserve to get in... not because the Government says every Johnny Foreigner accepted = cash.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-04-08, 06:02 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Scholarships should be awarded entirely..."
The idea behind affirmative action is not that people of minorities are more deserving on scholarships or jobs, but rather that, if the government doesn't step in, people of race will be less likely to get these things than the non-minorities.

For instance, there are a lot of areas of the US that it would probably be very, very hard for a black person to get hired if there were no such thing as affirmative action. Unfortunately, this means either the government leaves things like they are, or they step in and "fix it." It isn't much of a fix, but it's at least better than it would be without it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-04-08, 06:48 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "The idea behind affirmative action is..."
It's a very expensive band-aid on a massive gaping wound. Sure, it helps the black and other minority communities, but it breeds scorn in the long-run. There's quite a bit of ill will to the thought that tuition or tax dollars from the majority are being disproportionately spent on the minority. I'm not trying to be racist or stereotypical, but at some point enough is enough. Handouts aren't going to make you want to work harder. It gives a sense of entitlement that will ill prepare you for the future.

Sure, you can argue that they "paid their dues when their ancestors were slaves, or they were exploited by white settlers blah blah blah." How many generations must elapse before these unofficial "reparations" must go away? Do you not see how this keeps the gap large?

What is this attitude of: "WE ONLY WANT THE BEST, UNLESS YOU'RE A MINORITY THEN YOU ADD TO OUR 'DIVERSITY'." It doesn't matter about your socioeconomic status for the "diversity" scholarship at my university. It's purely race based with VERY LOOSE academic requirements. You need to have a pulse to get free or VERY CHEAP school. Socioeconomic status has MORE to do with your disadvantages than the color of your skin. This should be unconstitutional.

Anyways, I'm done ranting about institutional reverse racism.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-04-08, 06:58 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "It's a very expensive band-aid on a..."
But you're missing the point. I'm not saying they should get jobs because their ancestors suffered. I'm saying that if you don't require employers to employ a certain number of minorities, then a lot of employers won't hire minorities. If this were because minorities were lazy asses, I'd be fine with it, but it's not. For the most part, I'd say minorities work a lot harder than non-minorities do, and they get a lot less for what they do. The reason people wouldn't hire them is BECAUSE they are minorities.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-04-08, 07:07 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "But you're missing the point. I'm not..."
But you're missing my point. When you give entitlements it only perpetuates the problem. If you really want to solve the issues it's gonna take something different than that. But anyways, I still don't understand why it's constitutional for there to be race based scholarships. Socioeconomics works fine. But no, being poor isn't enough. You have to be poor and of a certain hue. You can be beaten out by a kid who isn't as smart but whose parents just happened to be a certain color. It's silly.

Race should not be a consideration. Period.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-04-08, 07:13 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "But you're missing my point. When you..."
But Race is going to be a consideration regardless of whether or not the government steps in. I will agree that the fix isn't the best one, but here's how it is:

Someone doesn't get a scholarship because they are black.
Someone gets a scholarship because they are black.

Both are wrong, but I would rather someone GET a scholarship BECAUSE they are black, rather than NOT get a scholarship BECAUSE they are black.

A black person doesn't get a job because the employer is racist.
A black person gets a job because the government requires the employer to hire a certain amount of minorities.

Same situation. Both are dumb, but one is less dumb than the other.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-04-08, 07:25 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "But Race is going to be a consideration..."
There are plenty of intelligent people who are minorities who can earn their scholarships without handouts. Do Southerners get admitted to (insert ivy league) because their education system is lacking compared to the rest of the U.S.? Do they have certain slot reservations? Because that is just as relevant as race.

I just think wealth redistribution based on race is not the way to solve the conflicts over the deep cultural differences between whites and minorities (mostly blacks, I'd say).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-04-08, 08:10 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "There are plenty of intelligent people..."
And those same intelligent people who are minorities might also get denied simply because they are a minority, if the person judging them is a racist. In some areas of our country, that is not unheard of.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-04-08, 09:05 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "And those same intelligent people who..."
Considering race in a beneficial way (to minorities) is legal. In a non-beneficial way (to minorities) is illegal.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-04-08, 09:44 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Considering race in a beneficial way..."
I know. That's affirmative action.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!