Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Downloading the latest update for my life firewall.
Posted 2008-03-27, 11:36 AM
Following recent developments (Spector vs. Coriander, and a conversation in the FF), I'm interested to read the thoughts of members on privacy - are public records too detailed? Is it terrifying to think you can find out a lot about a single person with a quick Google search? Is the security around an identity not stringent enough? Should it be cranked right up, or even relaxed? What about Myspace, Facebook?

Well? Discuss, and bring to the table any new ideas and questions regarding privacy (online and IRL) and the like, should you have them.

Quick word of warning - one of the parties involved in the Flame Forum conversation is obviously uncomfortable about it, so please don't bring it up. I don't need to explain myself, as those others who took part in the conversation know what I'm talking about.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-03-27, 11:44 AM in reply to Lenny's post "Downloading the latest update for my..."
I think if you don't have anything to hide then obviously you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

There are ways that it can be scary, but guess what, that's the world we live in these days. Everything is available and information is easily shared. Just don't mess with the wrong person because obviously it can come back and explode in your face.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]

Last edited by D3V; 2008-03-27 at 11:47 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-03-28, 10:06 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I think if you don't have anything to..."
You know, if you wanted right now there is an easy way to look up site address and find out the owner, address, phone, and all of the above for free.

Then you get sites such as Intelius that have you pay a few bucks. Now you've got peoples family records tracking back several years and information about there relatives whom they may not even know.

There is no such thing as privacy anymore, it was exulted long ago.

D3V said:
I think if you don't have anything to hide then obviously you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Not true. People should always worry about their security. No one is safe anymore, in fact, to be as safe as possible, still not entirely, is to never have entered the internet world in the first place. Second is to manage to try and take your information off of a database that stores public records. You are saying if they don't have anything to hide, who says they don't have enemies, who could find out all about them. Then we've got Google Earth, stalker land.

Above all of that, we've got people who will freely give their information out without a second thought. Including pictures, phone numbers, etc.

Screw you public records world!

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-03-31, 08:25 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "You know, if you wanted right now there..."
I don't see what the big deal is about a self-portrait. It's a fucking picture, it doesn't tell your whole life story.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-04-01, 02:02 AM in reply to Lenny's post "Downloading the latest update for my..."
I took classes on this topic, dealing with both information policy creation as well as ethics of information management. It is quite the quagmire to delve into, and seeing that it is 4am, I will not be doing so at the moment.

I may, however, Google myself out of curiosity. Haven't done that in a while.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2008-04-01, 07:04 AM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "I took classes on this topic, dealing..."
GLG, You don't need to have ever even entered the internet for all of your information to be found out. I now realize that nothing I do/say will change the fact of what information of mine is already available, so I just embrace it with the nothing-to-hide attitude and go about my ways, I'm really only worried about my identiy being stolen, and even then if it's through my bank they cover up to a certain amount, etc. So i'm not really worried about it.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-04-01, 07:07 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "GLG, You don't need to have ever even..."
You didn't read my post correctly I stated that there is NO WAY POSSIBLE to hide you information anymore, I merely suggested that the best way possible to hide yourself is to have never entered the internet world in the first place, that's all.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy