Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

Beta testers needed for Zelaron's own image host!
Posted 2004-12-06, 02:46 PM
Okay, so maybe it took me a while longer than initially expected, but here it is, Zelaron's own image hosting service! I decided to separate it from the Zelaron forum database to save some storage space, and brand it as a stand-alone service, so you have to sign up for it.

The service name is Picaroni, as a result from combining Picture with Macaroni. Not to mention that it sounds kind of like Zelaron. "Hey, anyone care to pass on the Zelaroni pickles?" Or maybe not.

So what kind of great features does this service offer?

1. It's perfectly free. You're not obligated to flash your Visa. In fact, you don't even have the possibility to pay anything as-is, even if you like the service. I'll probably put a PayPal donation button in there soon enough.
  2. Upload images up to 1024 kb (1 mb).
  3. Easy-to-remember URL for all images! For instance, a file named "myself.jpg" would be stored on the address picaroni.com/myself.jpg.
  4. Browse your images on a list with small thumbnails, about the size of an avatar on this forum.
  5. Image browsing of images you have uploaded is restricted to your own account.
  6. No bandwidth restrictions. In case we would hit the roof (which we won't in the foreseeable future), I would pay extra to expand the capacity of the service.
  7. No storage capacity for individual accounts. Should we run out, I'll invest in a new hard drive to store the images on.
  8. Friendly tech support; myself! Okay, so maybe that isn't really a great advantage.

So what's the catch? Free image hosting? Free? Of course it's free. I put relevant ads on the site to hopefully help the service get by. And every 10th view of a large image will display a small, discreet watermark in the bottom right corner, hopefully to make the service popular. But it's still free, at least for you; the happy, innocent user.

It still has a few bugs, so I could use some help beta testing the service. If you find anything that needs to be patched, let me know.

Without further ado, here is the site address:

http://www.picaroni.com

Known bugs:
  • Mozilla doesn't allow .jpg uploads. - FIXED
  • Trying to upload a file without filling out the form causes an error - FIXED
  • Gif images do not animate properly. - Requires new version of GDLIB to fix.
  • Spaces in the file name, or capitalized file extensions breaks the displayment and/or image deletion. - FIXED
  • Image auto renaming doesn't work after ImgName9.ext.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2004-12-20 at 07:53 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2004-12-06, 02:49 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Beta testers needed for Zelaron's own..."
Cool, Chruser. I'm about to go sign up.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2004-12-06, 02:52 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Cool, Chruser. I'm about to go sign up."
mjordan2nd said:
Cool, Chruser. I'm about to go sign up.
Well, I tried to upload a couple of images, and none of them would upload.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2004-12-06, 03:01 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Well, I tried to upload a couple of..."
That's strange. What's the error, and what file types did you attempt to upload?

I just tried it; seems to work just fine.
http://www.picaroni.com/62904.jpg
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2004-12-06, 03:10 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "That's strange. What's the error, and..."
I tried a jpeg file, didnt work.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2004-12-06, 03:22 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "That's strange. What's the error, and..."
Fixed it. Apparently, Mozilla gives jpg/jpeg files mime type image/jpeg, while IE names them image/pjpeg. I just had to add the case. This is to prevent other file types from (easily) being uploaded. In other words, you can't just rename .exe into .jpg to store it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2004-12-06, 03:46 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Fixed it. Apparently, Mozilla gives..."
Just a couple of other things you might want to know:
1.) It doesn't show a thumbnail of my saved pictures to me.
2.) It saves the picture twice. For instance, it saved 13.jpg as 13.jpg and 12.jpg. It did this a couple of other times as well, with other pictures.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2004-12-06, 04:23 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Just a couple of other things you might..."
Eh I'm gonna sign up.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2004-12-07, 10:26 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Just a couple of other things you might..."
It shouldn't save pictures twice if you click only once. If you click twice, that might be another story. Since all images are in the root directory (easy to remember), I wrote a script that increments the file name with a number in order to prevent overwriting.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2004-12-07, 02:00 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "It shouldn't save pictures twice if you..."
It let me upload a text file renamed as a jpg - http://www.picaroni.com/text_renamed_as_jpg.jpg

..Although, it DID change the text into this:

Quote:
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: imagecreatefromstring(): Data is not in a recognized format. in <b>/home/zelaron/domains/picaroni.com/public_html/showfull.php</b> on line <b>47</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: imagesx(): supplied argument is not a valid Image resource in <b>/home/zelaron/domains/picaroni.com/public_html/showfull.php</b> on line <b>48</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: imagesy(): supplied argument is not a valid Image resource in <b>/home/zelaron/domains/picaroni.com/public_html/showfull.php</b> on line <b>49</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: imagecreatetruecolor(): Invalid image dimensions in <b>/home/zelaron/domains/picaroni.com/public_html/showfull.php</b> on line <b>50</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: imagecopyresampled(): supplied argument is not a valid Image resource in <b>/home/zelaron/domains/picaroni.com/public_html/showfull.php</b> on line <b>51</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: imagejpeg(): supplied argument is not a valid Image resource in <b>/home/zelaron/domains/picaroni.com/public_html/showfull.php</b> on line <b>93</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: imagedestroy(): supplied argument is not a valid Image resource in <b>/home/zelaron/domains/picaroni.com/public_html/showfull.php</b> on line <b>105</b><br />
Also, the standard SQL injection trick didn't work ("or 1=1", you know the drill) so that's good, and all bad file types seem to get the error-in-the-file treatment, though it still uploads it without errors..

-----

Although, I just noticed that there seems to be no way to log out short of deleting your own cookies.

-----

I'll mention also that it allows you to sign up with a just a space for the email field, which I assume you want to be valid. (Unless you figure it's not a problem if they can't retrieve their password if they give a space for the email)

Also, I love the PORKY PORK messages

Last edited by BlueCube; 2004-12-07 at 02:13 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2004-12-07, 02:32 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Beta testers needed for Zelaron's own..."
I signed up. This image hosting idea was an awsome idea. Its a pain in the ass finding a image host that doesn't go down every other day. I'll keep u posted on any bugz i find.

~ KAMAHAME---Oh shit it's happening again.... ~
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzTyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Tyrannicide

Posted 2004-12-07, 02:35 PM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "It let me upload a text file renamed as..."
Thanks for helping me bug test Picaroni everyone. BlueCube, about the email part, I'll mess with syntax to get some form of checking to work. As-is, there isn't even a retrieve lost password feature, so it doesn't matter greatly. I will definitely take care of the logout page.

And as for the upload part, I have directed my safety measures at the actual displayment part. Even if someone could manage to upload a php file with functions that delete all files on the site, what good would it do them if it couldn't be run in the first place?

(And for the record, the images aren't really placed in the root)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2004-12-07, 02:47 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Thanks for helping me bug test Picaroni..."
Signed up.

You should put Zelaron in the "Links" content.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of mass

kaos

Posted 2004-12-07, 03:29 PM in reply to kaos's post starting "Signed up. You should put Zelaron in..."
Images with a space in the name seem to break the deletion javascript.

"SpaceIn TheName.png" (1105 bytes) gives:
Code:
javascript:MsgOkCancel("SpaceIn
as the deletion link.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2004-12-07, 03:59 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Thanks for helping me bug test Picaroni..."
You might want to make it only allow image file types when it goes to browse files to upload. Just makes it easier for people (like me) who have tons of crap mixed together to find image files.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Xenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeXenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Xenn

Posted 2004-12-17, 03:28 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Beta testers needed for Zelaron's own..."
I've been alpha testing for months... and then you wiped my images, it's almost like a MMORPG! lolol
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Randuin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Randuin

Posted 2004-12-18, 06:38 PM in reply to Xenn's post starting "You might want to make it only allow..."
IE does not allow that, AFAIK
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2004-12-19, 02:49 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "IE does not allow that, AFAIK"
Okay, I rewrote the file system entirely. It took me quite a few hours to get all the details in place, but it should work now, and run smoother. I will attempt to retrieve the current images in the DB and store them as files, but apparently, lots of erroneous files have been uploaded and might be causing trouble. Either way, you are required to sign up again. This shouldn't become necessary again.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2004-12-19, 03:42 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Okay, I rewrote the file system..."
Chruser said:
Okay, I rewrote the file system entirely. It took me quite a few hours to get all the details in place, but it should work now, and run smoother. I will attempt to retrieve the current images in the DB and store them as files, but apparently, lots of erroneous files have been uploaded and might be causing trouble. Either way, you are required to sign up again. This shouldn't become necessary again.
What about my pictures from 2 months ago?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Randuin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Randuin

Posted 2004-12-19, 04:09 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Okay, I rewrote the file system..."
i signed up... looks cool, but GIF's indeed won't woek --> http://www.picaroni.com/NeedleFighters5BIG.gif

also, why isnt BMP allowed ?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dr. Geekstar is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDr. Geekstar is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Dr. Geekstar