Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

Posted 2012-04-19, 10:22 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "Well, I tried. I gave it my best, but..."
But it's been like this for years. I remember a summer where weeks would go by without anything to read.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2012-04-20, 07:26 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "But it's been like this for years. I..."
The real question is do you guys love this place enough to try to resurrect it or are we gonna just leave it dead?
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2012-04-20, 09:11 AM in reply to Asamin's post starting "The real question is do you guys love..."
But then we'd have to remember all kinds of new names, and personalities, and it'd just be a hassle...
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2012-04-20, 01:58 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "But then we'd have to remember all..."
See? So lets revive it. Quick! Does someone have a Phoenix Down?
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2012-04-20, 02:10 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "See? So lets revive it. Quick! Does..."
I think we need a Phoenix Pinion.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-04-20, 02:14 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "See? So lets revive it. Quick! Does..."
I implemented some of the suggested metadata changes a week ago. My next priority is to look into the prospect of making registrations mandatory for guests (on an IP basis) who have viewed more than 5 threads.

Keep posting your suggestions!
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2012-04-20, 02:18 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "I implemented some of the suggested..."
Registrations aren't our problem. I see tons of new people a week, it's getting them to post that is the problem. They all come for the arcade.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2012-04-20, 02:36 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "Registrations aren't our problem. I see..."
Asamin said: [Goto]
Registrations aren't our problem. I see tons of new people a week, it's getting them to post that is the problem. They all come for the arcade.
Most of the people who register are spam bots. You just never see them because new users have to be approved unless they are posting in the introductions forum. That's why the only time you see spambots, it's in that forum. The mods probably see 10x more spambots than normal users do.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-04-20, 02:38 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Most of the people who register are..."
Well that would explain things.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2012-04-20, 05:35 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "Well that would explain things."
It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be - during the first half of 2010, we regularly had more new spam posts than actual posts by a factor of at least three. These days, I'm lucky if I get to delete one spam thread a week.

If anyone is interested, the current stats are: 5059 deleted posts and 1619 deleted threads on the forum. Now these are "soft" deletes, which means that they can be retrieved. I have no way of finding out how many posts and threads have been deleted in total (soft and hard deletes), but it's bound to be a lot more (particularly as this is post #697,061).

I suppose it's possible to go back through every post and see which I can view with my permissions, and which I can't, but I don't want to do it manually, and I can't be bothered writing a script.

As an aside, this is the earliest accessible post: http://zelaron.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4.

Last edited by Lenny; 2012-04-20 at 05:45 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2012-04-20, 07:00 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "It's nowhere near as bad as it used to..."
I think on May 15th we might start to get some activity as a lot of people here play diablo III. I'm currently playing the open beta (I love it)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2012-04-20, 09:05 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "It's nowhere near as bad as it used to..."
We also improved the CAPTCHA around that time. I don't hard delete much, so your stats are probably good. I do move a lot of soft deleted spam threads to the trash.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2012-04-21, 05:23 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "We also improved the CAPTCHA around..."
Is it just that you don't want to take the time to sift through to hard delete them? Because I don't see much of a point of leaving them to be resurrected.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2012-04-21, 05:29 AM in reply to Asamin's post starting "Is it just that you don't want to take..."
Two reasons why things are soft deleted: in the Mod Drop-down Menu when we select a post/thread, there's an option to "Delete post/thread as spam", which soft deletes the post (and allows us to ban the user in one fell swoop)l and Admin's are the only ones with the permissions to hard delete posts and threads.

---

I remember the discussions about changing the CAPTCHA's! Good times.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2012-04-21, 05:33 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Two reasons why things are soft..."
Well what I meant was why not go through and hard delete them all, or would that unban the spam bot?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2012-04-21, 12:38 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "Well what I meant was why not go..."
More work. Also, we don't generally hard delete things so that if questions arise, the evidence is still there. At this point, it probably doesn't matter; more habbit than anything.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2012-04-21, 07:43 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "More work. Also, we don't generally..."
I think that our best bet right now would be to harness the influx of people looking to discuss the upcoming blizzard games since a lot of people here already play them
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2012-04-22, 09:16 AM in reply to Asamin's post starting "I think that our best bet right now..."
I still think we should try and make our own game. No idea how, though...
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2012-04-22, 12:31 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "I still think we should try and make..."
Zelaron had its own game, for a while.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2012-04-22, 02:08 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Zelaron had its own game, for a while."
We had a game? When did we have a game?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin