Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Programming Tasks for GLG
Posted 2009-07-21, 12:58 PM
You claim to be a good programmer who knows seventeen languages (nine fluently), but none of us have really seen this in action. So we have decided to set you three tasks to complete, and prove you're worth your salt.

Your tasks, if you choose to accept them (in which case I'll post full specifications) are:

1. Program seven basic data structures, which a command line interface that allows you to add data to all seven (from a file or within the interface) and display them in the command line.

2. Build a program that takes a list of vertices linked by edges and creates from them a graph, upon which various actions can be performed. Again, this should have a command line interface, and display the graph in the command line.

3. Build a program that suits an office environment. It must have a calendar, text editing package and a drawing application. It must also include an instant messenger that works over a network and the Internet, which allows sharing and collaborative use of the three applications above, as well as a multiplayer game or two for when the workers are bored.

- Either one or both of tasks #1 or #2 MUST be written in Java.
- Task #3, and the non-Java task can be written in any language (other than the web-based ones. The cloud is a brilliant thing, but we don't want it cluttered up with programs that deal solely with data structures or simple graph theory).

Do you accept?

---

A note to other members: if you want to add anything to task #3, I'm still accepting submissions.

We've got a Tech HELP forum, and a Tech NEWS forum, but not a Tech TECH forum! It makes Lenny sad.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2009-07-21, 01:01 PM in reply to Lenny's post "Programming Tasks for GLG"
This should be entertaining.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-07-21, 01:31 PM in reply to Lenny's post "Programming Tasks for GLG"
GLG disappears for a few months
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2009-07-21, 01:32 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "GLG disappears for a few months"
I would like to see the outcome of this.

This appeals to my interests.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-07-21, 01:37 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I would like to see the outcome of..."
Just curious, how many people were in on this other than me?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-07-21, 03:27 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Just curious, how many people were in..."
I did not submit any challenges since I have no education in programming.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-07-21, 03:45 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I did not submit any challenges since I..."
I didn't either.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-07-21, 04:42 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I didn't either."
Is he hiding?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2009-07-21, 09:11 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I did not submit any challenges since I..."
D3V said: [Goto]
same

not bullshit
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2009-07-21, 11:49 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "same not bullshit"
GLG'll show up!
He's got too... I'm sure he wasn't lying, since he was so helpful in the RPG maker forums...
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2009-07-22, 10:48 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "I did not submit any challenges since I..."
D3V said: [Goto]

Which is why none of you have any say on the first two tasks.

The third task is the one that you can all add to - think of things you'd see on an office computer, or tasks you do in an office and would like a program for. Or even just things you'd like a program to do, which you could get away with in an office (like a countdown timer that works out how long you have until the drugs are out of your system).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2009-07-22, 11:07 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Which is why none of you have any say..."
This couldn't be.... naw.... you guys wouldn't make GLG make these programs for your own gain. Plus, he is currently programming an iPhone app. so I think that is enough.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2009-07-22, 11:14 AM in reply to Asamin's post starting "This couldn't be.... naw.... you guys..."
For our own gain? Hardly. Tasks #1 and #2 are pretty useless, and the program for task #3 contains far too much fluff to be useful in everyday life - all three are simply there to test his programming skills.

A programmer can have multiple things on the go - I'm currently programming an Ant-Farm, a drag-and-drop programming tool, and working on an assignment. I've done the first two tasks over the course of the first year of my degree, and when the final specification is decided, I'll also program the third task.

Some of my friends want me to program a couple of iPhone/iPod Touch apps for their gain, too.

Multiple projects keeps things from going stale.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2009-07-22, 11:17 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Which is why none of you have any say..."
It looks like we aren't going to have to, the codemaster is missing.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2009-07-22, 11:20 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "It looks like we aren't going to have..."
Nah, he's lurking - last activity was a few hours ago.

He's always around at the weekend, too.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2009-07-22, 12:26 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Nah, he's lurking - last activity was a..."
Codemaster...?
GLG, right? Yeah, I've noticed he lurks alot more then posts.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2009-07-22, 12:34 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Codemaster...? GLG, right? Yeah, I've..."
Skurai said: [Goto]
then
than.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-07-22, 01:13 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "than."
!King does not need a ! before King.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2009-07-22, 01:35 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "than."
!King_Amazon! said: [Goto]
than.
Whatever.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2009-07-23, 09:00 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Just curious, how many people were in..."
!King_Amazon! said: [Goto]
Just curious, how many people were in on this other than me?

I was in on it, though I have little to contribute.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusion

Jessifer