Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Random Defence, best flash game in a while (addictive)
Posted 2008-11-26, 03:32 PM
http://www.itch.com/games/random-defense/

I've been playing this game since yesterday. It's definitely the best flash game I've played in a while. If any of you ever played any of the starcraft "turret defense" UMS maps, this is pretty much just like that. There are different "waves" of enemies that come, following the path. Some are fast, some are slow, some are very numerous, some have a lot of health. You use various weapons to prevent them from reaching the end of the path, including gun towers, grenade towers, missile turrets, etc. You get money for killing enemies, and at the end of each round you get interest on the money you have. The object of the game is to get through all of the levels without losing all of your lives (you have 20). Every time an enemy gets to the end of the path, you lose a life. You can upgrade your units, as well as research technology to improve them. Certain units are better for certain things, such as the gun towers being fast and accurate but weaker, and the grenade towers being slower and less accurate but stronger and better at killing multiple enemies due to splash damage.

Anyway, try it out, it's a fun game. Feel free to post any strategies that you've figured out that work well, I'll probably post some of my own if enough people show interest.

There is a sequel, but I do not like it as much. They over-complicated the game by adding different resources for different types of weapons, which you have to mine with mines, and by adding other things like weapons over-heating so you have to place cooling towers near them, weapons running out of power so you have to place power generators near them, etc. I prefer the simplicity of the original myself.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-11-26, 04:26 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "Random Defence, best flash game in a..."
Dangit, always get stuck after the tenth wave of lips.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2008-11-26, 04:33 PM in reply to Wallow's post starting "Dangit, always get stuck after the..."
My damn flash player at work is outdated and administrator settings are inplace. Blargh.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-11-26, 05:14 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "Random Defence, best flash game in a..."
I always enjoyed defence games Gracias.

:edit: Just beat "The Jungle: Meander - Easy"

Last edited by -Spector-; 2008-11-26 at 05:26 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-11-26, 11:37 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "I always enjoyed defence games ^_^..."
I've figured out the perfect strategy. Now I'm flying past the levels
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2008-11-27, 04:31 AM in reply to Wallow's post starting "I've figured out the perfect strategy...."
i llike these games/forum www.fallingsandgame.com theres more to the site that you can download than play off of the site
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
jamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed it

jamer123

Posted 2008-11-27, 06:05 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "Random Defence, best flash game in a..."
Grr, I failed on level 51 (the final level), with a score of 15619, on The Plains: Swirlishus.

Nice game!

As for strategies, I almost got owned on level 24 due to lack of long-range firepower, so I started building Missile Turrets in the middle of the map, and upgraded 8 of them (out of 12) to levels 3, 4 and 5. Line up Slow Towers along the road as well to separate enemies.

I'm confident that strategy alone got me to the final level, but my fatal mistake was to waste money on two Laser MegaTowers that were effectively useless due to their lack of splash damage and poor range. Perhaps they become significantly awesome if you upgrade them enough, but a large quantity of long-range Missile Turrets will effectively blow everything on the entire level apart.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2008-11-27 at 06:19 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-11-27, 07:27 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Grr, I failed on level 51 (the final..."
Strategy:

Seven of the central turrets were level 5; the remaining 8 at level 3-4. I kept upgrading them all along, and didn't start building turrets outside the parallelogram until level 50, whereas none of the latter were upgraded. Explosive research at level 6. One Finance Centre upgrade.

A missile will always hit a target after it has been launched, unless all enemies in the wave are dead. Thus, it is important to place missile turrets in a position where they can fire as often as possible, as opposed to building a separate last line of defense. Thus, my strategy would have been more efficient if I had flooded the area directly around the spawn point with missile turrets.

32727 points.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2008-11-27 at 07:37 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-11-27, 07:56 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Strategy: ..."
I'm surprised you actually upgraded the Finance Center. You gain a very small increase in your interest for 1600 cash. Not really worth it. I usually build the finance center for the minor benefit it gives, since it only costs 100 cash to build, but I never do anything with it after that.

I suggest attempting one of the "hard" levels. I've managed to beat one of them, but they're a lot harder due to the fact that you start with less money and there's less "walkway" area.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-11-27, 08:04 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I'm surprised you actually upgraded the..."
I upgraded the finance centre fairly early, so it probably paid off, although I can't say for certain that I made much more than 50,000 in cash to make it worthwhile.

Do you have any useful or experimental strategies to share?

Also, I have less than 3 hours to sleep now thanks to this game. Gnaw-some.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2008-11-28, 08:56 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "I upgraded the finance centre fairly..."
The simplest one I've been using is: An upgraded anything is better than something of that in large numbers. My strategy is to build 5 small turrets in strategic positions and upgrade them all the way as well as buying a finance center and gun research center. Then I'll continue with 2 larger turrets and upgrade them all the way. Then I'll buy the laser and the other research center and upgrade them to lvl 5 as well as the gun research center. Then finally, I'll buy a laser, upgrade it all the way (I will leave the research centers at lvl 3 until the laser requires all 3 at lvl 5 to continue upgrading), then build a second one to victory.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wallow

Posted 2008-11-28, 11:17 AM in reply to Wallow's post starting "The simplest one I've been using is: An..."
Yes, upgrading is almost always superior to building more.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-11-28, 11:47 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Yes, upgrading is almost always..."
I think the main scenario that justifies structure spam is when you already have a fair number of somewhat high-level structures that are busy fending off opponents, considering that you don't want to bring them offline for significant periods of time. Upgrading your research centers serves as a small upgrade for all related structures, which is great if you have a lot of them.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2008-11-28, 03:39 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "I think the main scenario that..."
The Jungle - Clover

yummy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.JPG (76.2 KB, 4 views)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-11-28, 04:29 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "The Jungle - Clover yummy"
Its just like starcraft! <3

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-11-28, 08:47 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Its just like starcraft! <3"
D3V said: [Goto]
Its just like starcraft! <3
'cept it's a flashgame, so you can run it without da intranet (particularly useful when I forgot to ask my sister for the network pass)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wallow

Posted 2008-11-29, 01:40 PM in reply to Wallow's post starting "'cept it's a flashgame, so you can run..."
Ummm. You can run starcraft without the internet. I is a RTS game made by blizzard.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2008-11-29, 02:39 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "Ummm. You can run starcraft without the..."
The Plains: Square Wave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ffff.JPG (78.7 KB, 2 views)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

-Spector-

Posted 2008-11-29, 05:23 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "The Plains: Square Wave"
The Plains: Swirlishus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fgsfdh.JPG (76.5 KB, 2 views)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

-Spector-

Posted 2008-11-29, 09:18 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "The Plains: Swirlishus"
I've died on level 50 about 10 times now, I think my head is going to explode, new strategy time!

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V