Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > The Lounge

Petals around the rose
Posted 2012-07-09, 09:08 AM
I figured it out. Took me like 20 mins. But here you do, something to do today. It's a puzzle.

Petals around the rose
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2012-07-09, 11:19 AM in reply to Asamin's post "Petals around the rose"
Easy shit. My 5th grade math teacher had a "Petals Around the Rose" puzzle up in her class for students to attempt to figure out. I was the first in my class (and only, for a few months at least) to figure it out and I did so in the first day. It's so simple unless you overthink it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-07-09, 12:59 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Easy shit. My 5th grade math teacher..."
If you try to think of it as math you'll never get it. Me and Atnas sat there for ages trying that. Then I figured it out and soon after he got it.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2012-07-13, 04:41 PM in reply to Asamin's post "Petals around the rose"
That...took me way too long to figure out. I feel like an idiot.

KagomJack said:
My girth isn't anything to bitch and moan about in long, elaborate paragraphs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2012-07-13, 08:51 PM in reply to JRwakebord's post starting "That...took me way too long to figure..."
:P Took me a while too. If you try to apply math it doesn't work and it's annoying.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2012-07-14, 12:53 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting ":P Took me a while too. If you try to..."
Yah, when it clicked for me I just kinda froze and muttered to myself "You've got to be fucking kidding"

KagomJack said:
My girth isn't anything to bitch and moan about in long, elaborate paragraphs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2012-07-14, 01:49 PM in reply to JRwakebord's post starting "Yah, when it clicked for me I just..."
My moment was more "Does it... a rose... :O I GET IT! Oh god that was obvious"
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2012-07-14, 07:29 PM in reply to Asamin's post "Petals around the rose"
I don't see how the name of the game has anything to do with the solution. In any case, if you take a few dozen rolls and sort by result, the answer becomes quickly apparent.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2012-07-14, 08:08 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "I don't see how the name of the game..."
I'll explain it when more people have gotten it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2012-07-14, 09:04 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "I'll explain it when more people have..."
I expect that I won't like your explaination on grounds of plurallity.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2012-07-15, 08:09 AM in reply to Asamin's post starting "I'll explain it when more people have..."
Asamin said: [Goto]
I'll explain it when more people have gotten it.
Stop being a faggot. Hints and explanations are not cool.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-07-17, 11:53 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Stop being a faggot. Hints and..."
Suboptimal approach: Memorize the scores for the 252 distinct rolls with 5D6 (not taking order into account, since it's irrelevant).

((n+5)C5 unique rolls for the general nD6-version, with n>=1.)
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2012-07-22, 01:52 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "I don't see how the name of the game..."
WetWired said: [Goto]
I don't see how the name of the game has anything to do with the solution. In any case, if you take a few dozen rolls and sort by result, the answer becomes quickly apparent.
What do you mean? The name has everything to do with the solution, otherwise the rules just seems arbitrary. There is a logical mathematical consistency but it's much harder to come up with unless you already know the solution.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
S2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeS2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

S2 AM

Posted 2012-07-22, 03:16 PM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "What do you mean? The name has..."
The name of the game could only be related to the solution if there were only one die.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2012-07-22, 06:43 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "The name of the game could only be..."
The name of the game could only be related to the solution if there were only one die.
Now you're just arguing semantics, next you'll be complaining that the dice aren't all red
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
S2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeS2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

S2 AM

Posted 2012-07-23, 06:21 PM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "Now you're just arguing semantics, next..."
Roses come in many colors.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2012-07-23, 11:26 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Roses come in many colors."
Roses come in many colors.
Cool story bro
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

S2 AM

Posted 2012-07-24, 07:35 AM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "Cool story bro"
i figured this out in like 10 minutes and the name is a hint btw
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
jamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed it

jamer123

Posted 2012-07-24, 11:28 AM in reply to jamer123's post starting "i figured this out in like 10 minutes..."
jamer123 said: [Goto]
i figured this out in like 10 minutes and the name is a hint btw
No it isn't, WW said so jamer321, get with the program
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-07-25, 06:08 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "No it isn't, WW said so jamer321, get..."
WW disliked the reason on accounts of plurality. The name is entirely how to solve the puzzle.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin