Kirby
Pikachu

Confirmed NEW characters so far:

Wario (WarioWare)
Zero Suit Samus (Metroid: Zero Mission)
Metaknight (Kirby)
Pit (Kid Icarus)
Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid)

From watching the trailer and reading interviews, several things are evident. One, official developer interviews have confirmed that Brawl uses traditional GCN-style controls rather than utilizing the motion-sensing capabilities of the Wii-mote. Whether this means the game will use the GCN controller (which is possible because Wii has four slots for GCN pads) or the more traditional Virtual Console controller is yet to be seen.

Two, a lot of new gameplay bits have been added, the coolest of which appears to be a new drop item. It's a glowing sphere that looks like the Smash Bros. Emblem which, when acquired, sends your character into a "Hyper Mode" of sorts allowing them to perform massive, screen-wide attacks that devastate all opponents. An example, from the trailer, shows Mario collecting the item and then becoming wreathed in flame. He then charges up a monstrous fireball attack that stretches the entire length of the screen and engulfs all other opponents.

The addition of these five new characters is crtainly awesome as well. Wario is dressed in his crazy-ass biker attire from the WarioWare games, and in the trailer it shows him performing a destructive fart attack.

Zero Suit Samus is her blue-suited form from the last chapter of Metroid: Zero Mission. Only now, instead of being equipped with only a lowly stun gun, she comes with this badass lightsaber/gunblade type of weapon.

Metaknight was one of those characters that I was screaming for in the last game, and I'm excited to see he's finally appearing in this one. He's got batwings, lightning-fast sword combos and either a cloaking move or a teleport ability. It's hard to tell from the trailer.

Pit is another one of those obvious additions, but it's what they've done with him that's so badass. No longer is he a cutesy, bobble-headed cherub with a bow. He's now far more badass looking, with bigger wings, a more proportioned body and a pair of curved, glowing swords as his primary weapons. He looks similar is style to Roy and Marth from Melee, only with Greek attire rather than fantasy medieval.

And finally, Solid Snake was a major surprise, considering he's not a Nintendo character. He appears in the trailer using his cardboard box to hide from the other characters. Aside from the box being confirmed as one of his special moves, the developers also said that they wanted to stay away from him using bland weapons like machine guns and pistols. The game has a cartoony presentation, so he'll be using more over-the-top weapons such as rocket launchers and explosives. He still looks like his badass self, though. Don't worry, he's not super-deformed or anime'd up.

Along with the news of Snake's appearance in the game, Nintendo has also said that there's a possibility of talks between themselves and other third parties to add more characters to the roster. The possibility of characters such as Sonic the Hedgehog or Cloud from Final Fantasy 7 appearing in Brawl are now becoming much more feasible. (I'm frothing over this, because this could mean Smash Bros. could become the videogame equivalent of the now defunct Zelaron Melee forum from years back.)

As for the other confirmed characters, Mario is looking substantially more detailed, and Link is sporting his new Twilight Princess look. Pikachu and Kirby both look essentially the same, just more rounded, and Samus is only seen in FMV and one concept still, so it's hard to gauge exactly what she'll look like inb the final version.

And, of course, there will be far more character confirmations and pieces of information the further we get into the year. As of currently, the only piece of bad news is that the game will not be a launch title, instead being slated for a 2007 release.

Smash Bros. Melee, what I consider the best mutliplayer game of all time, is going to be one-upped in a massive way come 2007. I can see hundreds more of my precious hours being sacrificed to Brawl, and it makes me unbearably giddy. Hooray!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2006-05-17, 01:32 PM in reply to Raziel's post "Super Smash Bros. Brawl"
Fucking sweet. Lets just home we don't have another, Mario Kart Double Dash on our hands. Otherwise I'm soooo fucking pysched.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kaneda is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kaneda

Posted 2006-05-17, 01:41 PM in reply to Kaneda's post starting "Fucking sweet. Lets just home we don't..."
Double Dash wasn't terrible, it just wasn't that great either. Too much of the difficulty in the game was based around what insane items the computer decided to give your opponents in order to fuck you out of a win. I know for a fact that I'm better at the driving aspect of the game than my friends, yet I lose on a consistent basis solely because the computer will give my buddies Blue Shells and Lightning Bolts left and right, but once I'm all the way back in last, it won't give me jack shit to work with.

I have pretty high expectations for this game. Hal Laboratories has developed all three games, so they know their way around the franchise. If it's not up to par, there's no excuse.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2006-05-17, 05:41 PM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Double Dash wasn't terrible, it just..."
It sounds awesome. I remember the original, and spending countless hours playing. Since GameCube is my bro's, ill probably steal it and play this game, but until then, ill have to catch up and play melee
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2006-05-17, 05:57 PM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "It sounds awesome. I remember the..."
This is for the Wii, not Gamecube.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Rurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Rurouni Storm

Posted 2006-05-17, 06:25 PM in reply to Rurouni Storm's post starting "This is for the Wii, not Gamecube."
Shhh, he's drunk.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2006-05-18, 12:39 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "Shhh, he's drunk."
Is melee the one for the n64? If so I loved that game. My brother and I played the hell out of it. Kirby was the own . I liked Samus too, though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2006-05-18, 12:53 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Is melee the one for the n64? If so I..."
Mario kart 64 is so much better than double dash......one thing that pissed me off about double dash is that shells dont revolve around ur kart as shield like before
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hades-Knight is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hades-Knight

Posted 2006-05-18, 11:06 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Is melee the one for the n64? If so I..."
Willkillforfood said:
Is melee the one for the n64? If so I loved that game. My brother and I played the hell out of it. Kirby was the own . I liked Samus too, though.
Original was on n64. Melee is on the GC and Brawl is for the Wii.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Rurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Rurouni Storm

Posted 2006-05-18, 12:47 PM in reply to Rurouni Storm's post starting "Original was on n64. Melee is on the..."
Meta Knight 4tw
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
pr0xy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenpr0xy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

pr0xy

Posted 2006-05-18, 01:14 PM in reply to Raziel's post "Super Smash Bros. Brawl"
lol @ the solid snake. What's that box going to be, the equiv of those energy bubbles that the guys in SSB could put up to reflect attacks?

And damn, Samus looks FIIIIINE.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2006-05-18, 02:11 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "lol @ the solid snake. What's that box..."
I would imagine that the Box acts as a slow-moving, mobile form of defense, like the shields. He'll still be able to use a regular shield, like the rest of the characters, but the Box will act sort of like Fox's Reflector attack, or Ness' PSI Magnet. Maybe it'll just cut damage down to half, instead of blocking all damage like the shields do.

Yeah, Zero Suit Samus looks fucking badass. I'm thinking they're probably going to make her a more up-close character, as opposed to Power Suit Samus, who relies almost entirely on ranged attacks. Maybe they'll do something like they did with Zelda, where the two characters are actually rolled into one, so you can switch between them in mid-fight.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2006-05-18, 02:21 PM in reply to Raziel's post starting "I would imagine that the Box acts as a..."
Sheik>All
Zelda<All
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kaneda is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kaneda

Posted 2006-05-18, 08:36 PM in reply to Kaneda's post starting "Sheik>All Zelda<All"
Yeah, I usually just used Sheik.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2006-06-01, 05:39 PM in reply to Hades-Knight's post starting "Mario kart 64 is so much better than..."
yeah i cant wait im hoping for
Munchlax
Blaziken
Deoxys
Gooey
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
frogla is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenfrogla is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

frogla

Posted 2006-06-01, 07:09 PM in reply to frogla's post starting "yeah i cant wait im hoping for..."
frogla said:
yeah i cant wait im hoping for
Munchlax
Blaziken
Deoxys
Gooey
Who the hell are any of those?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penguin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenPenguin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Penguin

Posted 2006-06-01, 08:19 PM in reply to Raziel's post "Super Smash Bros. Brawl"
Raziel said:
The possibility of characters such as Sonic the Hedgehog
Raziell said:
finally, Solid Snake was a major surprise, considering he's not a Nintendo character.

I remember on the one for the game cube there was a big rumor that you could win sonic. I even remembering going to kaneda's house and him trying to do it kaneda being the better player than me and all. I dont remember how to do it but it was impossible and latter on we found out it was not true. Oh and Snake was on the nintendo the first two metal gear games were on it, and they also made a remake of the one on playstation called Twin Snakes for the game cube.

Last edited by crazyeye; 2006-06-01 at 08:23 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
crazyeye is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweencrazyeye is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

crazyeye

Posted 2006-06-01, 09:18 PM in reply to crazyeye's post starting "I remember on the one for the game cube..."
Raziel said:
he's not a Nintendo character
He's not a Nintendo character, Crazyeye. He's a Konami character. Every character to appear in Smash Bros. thus far has been owned by Nintendo. That was the point I was making.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2006-06-02, 04:40 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "He's not a Nintendo character,..."
SSB has always been a huge favorite of people for Nintendo consoles. i know a guy who started considering buing a Wii when he heard about Snake being in Brawl. It's bound to be one sweet game.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2006-06-06, 06:27 PM in reply to Kuja`s #1's post starting "SSB has always been a huge favorite of..."
Hideo Kojima apparently really wanted Snake in it.

I think after e3, I'm not nearly as interesting in the PS3 as I was before. Probably going to get a Wii first instead.

Mario Galaxy and this just look like so much fun, instead of being all graphics like the X360 and PS3 games are/are made out to be.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Rurouni Storm