Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Posted 2004-12-01, 08:16 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "What the hell do you mean by..."
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....4&type=product

It's cheaper, does the same thing, doesnt require batteries, lasts for more then 2 hours, and can be hooked up to any sized tv screen.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2004-12-01, 08:23 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "What the hell do you mean by..."
Gamegear weighed more than i did at the time i played it.

I'm just saying that nintendo has a better history of... well you know...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-=Rico-GP=- is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between-=Rico-GP=- is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

-=Rico-GP=-

Posted 2004-12-01, 11:37 PM in reply to Tyrannicide's post starting "Finally, someone else is on D3V's and..."
Quote:
Im getting sick of all the nintendo handhelds coming out. It took Nintendo too long to get the system right.
Really? I'm pretty sure they got it right from the start. That's why it's the only portable in history to have dominated the last 15 years in the market against superior pieces of technology. The Gameboy Advance alone has sold more units worldwide than all three home consoles combined.

That's supposed to be wrong?

Quote:
The GBA was the first in this case, the positioning of the hands and the wide screen was great, than they wen tback to the fucking annoying way on the GBA SP. Big hands with the GB, GB color, GB pocket never allowed for easy use with the handhelds and on the GBA the handheld was finally decent enough.
My drummer owns an SP, plays it regularly and his hands are roughly the size of Texas. He never complains about the size of his GameBoy. I think you just like to whine.

Quote:
It took Nintendo that long to get it right and Sony is on there first try and they already got it right. Plus the nice wide screen, analog pad, the battery that is going to last longer than 2 hours but the n fan is bashing the PSP in any way possible.
The screen is too wide. Have you seen videos of anyone actually playing it? Their fingers slip all over the screen as they're playing.

That analog pad is the worst compromise for a joystick I have ever seen. It's positioned horribly, and it moves parallel to the surface of the screen, which means that it's supported by a jointed arm. That means two very serious issues.

1) Barely any spring resistance. You'll be overstraining the joint constantly because you can't work a very powerful spring into a pad so small.

2) Constant breaks. People are going to be sending their PSPs back by the droves because of broken analog pads. Plastic joints can only take so much punishment.

And in regards to the battery life, I've been reading articles constantly since the announcement of both handhelds, and in many of them, the general consensus is that for graphics-intensive games or titles that require a lot of data streaming, the battery life is between 90 minutes and 2 hours. When playing movies, the battery is 2 hours flat. TGS event staff have confirmed this, Hideo Kojima has said this and even Sony representatives have made mention of it.

Quote:
What the hell do you mean by reliability?
Nintendo products can be shot out of a cannon and still function properly. It's common knowledge. The same can't be said for a PS2.

Quote:
I've got plenty of nintendo products and I've never worried about them being reliable.
That's because you don't need to worry.

Quote:
I do believe the gamegear was pretty amazing compared to the gameboy.
It had superior graphics, backlighting and superior audio. It also cost about $100 more and the battery life was about 4 hours. It was technologically superior, but the battery life, unit weight and extra cost killed it.

Quote:
I've never really even cared for handhelds, but the PSP looks pretty badass, and even though it has a pretty big pricetag it seems worth it.
The PSP isn't the uber-multimedia device Sony wants it to be. The battery will get you through maybe a single movie before it dies, the memory stick will hold maybe five to ten mp3s and the game selection will be 60% ports. On top of that, you're going to be dealing with DRE malfaunctions and constant overheating because of the disc-based format. You're going to be spending more than just an extra $50 to $100 on the thing because of having to pay for constant replacements and repairs.

I'd just buy a PS2, personally. What's the point of owning a portable when you can't really even leave home with it and the game selection is exactly the same as it's console counterpart?

Last edited by Raziel; 2004-12-02 at 06:26 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-12-07, 06:55 PM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Really? I'm pretty sure they got it..."
Nintendo has dominated the handheld market because they're the only ones who are willing to dump enough money into something that isn't going to bring that much back.

Consoles and their games sell much better, and at higher prices, no use in trying to keep making newer versions of the gameboy to keep people playing, it's pathetic.

Psp owns all.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2004-12-10, 10:04 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Nintendo has dominated the handheld..."
Well, first off, I'd like to say that you are all fucking fanboys. :P Every one of ya.

I'd like to start off with warning you that this is going to be a little more long-winded than any of you might care for. But I'd rather tell you all where I'm coming for before I throw my two cents in this obviously heated discussion.

I could probably call myself a sony fanboy. I bought the Playstation and Playstation 2. Neither one of them has disapointed me as far as games. I tend to favor things like Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, the Resident Evil Series, teh Final Fantasy series (not much for the oldies, at least not yet) and so forth, so there you go.

I don't really have much experience with the Nintendo systems at all. Im not an old scool gamer, and I don't ever buy more than one system. The guy next door to me had a N64, I wasn't really impressed with any of the games he had. I've never been interested in Mario, and I everything else i've heard about are FPS games and Platformers, which really aren't genre's I take well too.

Im thinking about buying a gamecube, which would be a not-so-risky investment for even someone accustomed to Sony systems. The System is cheaper now, and I want the two remakes it has for Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid. Im more of a game-fanboy than a console fanboy. That, and getting a Nintendo system would give me my own perspective of how Nintendo games are, I can play highly acclaimed games like the Zelda series and Metroid Prime and size them up to everything else i've played. I don't think i'll be trying out LUigi's Mansion though.

Now, to talk about what this discussion is really, about. The Handhelds.

I've had people tell me how great the DS is going to be, and I got to tell you, I wasn't buying it. I hadn't heard enough about the PSP yet anyways to really take sides on that issue anyways. Then I saw this thread, and realized that the PSP has no games that im interested in.

The battery thing isn't even a concern for me. I was actaully surprised to hear that the Game Gear had the same promblem (if that's really true, I dont know, or care.) I geuss I never sat their four hours straight and played it. I liked it though, Sonic Spinball was awesome, and I was a little weirded out that it took Nintendo so long to come out with color.

And forget all that mumbo-jumbo with the size and buttons and touch pads and what not. Im not that detailed. I participated in a sicussion with Raziel once over anolog sticks VS the N64's joystick, but that's only because I was bored and had nothing else to talk about. I don't give a damn about those things. A controller would have to be pretty damn poorly designed for me to really give a shit.

If there is a hand-held system im buying, it's the DS. I care about the games, I follow the system that has games that interest me. It's the reason I got the PS and PS2, and it's probably going to provoke me to buy this little handheld system. Xenosaga and FInal Fantasy, that's all that I got to say.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Nothing is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenNothing is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Nothing

Posted 2004-12-11, 10:52 PM in reply to Nothing's post starting "Well, first off, I'd like to say that..."
I'm just stating the truth, Death (I can only assume it's you). D3V's the one making the unjustified attacks here...like he always seems to enjoy doing.

D3V said:
Nintendo has dominated the handheld market because they're the only ones who are willing to dump enough money into something that isn't going to bring that much back.

Psp owns all.
So, handhelds are a waste of money, but the PSP owns all?

D3V, you're a moron.

Quote:
Consoles and their games sell much better
Well, I've actually managed to track down the NPD worlwide life-to-date sales numbers. Here you go.

Worldwide
PlayStation 2 – 68,288,961
Xbox – 16,130,277
GameCube – 15,218,771
Game Boy Advance – 52,584,313

The statements I've heard in the past regarding the sales of the GBA were off, I admit. However, GBA sales do equal to nearly twice the amount of both worldwide GCN and XBox numbers combined.

That said, you're a moron for thinking that consoles invariably sell better than handhelds. The GBA's worldwide sales numbers are nearly equal to that of the PS2's.

And here are the November sales numbers, for the record.

Xbox = 746,000
PS2 = 694,000
GCN = 350,000
GBA = 1,323,000

Just last month, the GBA sold through nearly double the number of units that the PS2 did. You still think that handhelds sell worse than consoles, D3V?

Last edited by Raziel; 2004-12-12 at 12:41 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-12-12, 03:57 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "I'm just stating the truth, Death (I..."
So we've established the fact that the GameCube was a failure?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Randuin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Randuin

Posted 2004-12-12, 04:46 AM in reply to Randuin's post starting "So we've established the fact that the..."
Then technically the XBox is a failure as well. It's only leading the GCN by 900,000 units worldwide. That's less than the population of Idaho. Also, take into consideration that Nintendo has been making a profit on all hardware and software sales since the launch. Microsoft has been losing money on hardware sales since the XBox launched.

The Gamecube is hardly a failure. It's just not the freakish monstrosity of a success that the PS2 is.

Last edited by Raziel; 2004-12-12 at 04:49 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2004-12-12, 04:58 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Then technically the XBox is a failure..."
And that same success will probably carry on over to the PSP...

Why am I still up at this hour?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Randuin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Randuin

Posted 2004-12-12, 05:22 AM in reply to Randuin's post starting "And that same success will probably..."
Randuin said:
And that same success will probably carry on over to the PSP...
That remains to be seen. History dictates otherwise.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2004-12-12, 01:20 PM in reply to Raziel's post starting "That remains to be seen. History..."
stop arguing until psp comes out in north america then we see who is better.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
osmoses-jones is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenosmoses-jones is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

osmoses-jones

Posted 2004-12-12, 10:37 PM in reply to osmoses-jones's post starting "stop arguing until psp comes out in..."
osmoses-jones said:
stop arguing until psp comes out in north america then we see who is better.
Where did I say that the PSP is worse than the DS? Nowhere. All I said was that history illustrates a tough uphill climb for the PSP if it has aspirations of becoming the dominant handheld.

Simmer down, Turbo.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2004-12-13, 10:39 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Where did I say that the PSP is worse..."
Raziel said:
I'm just stating the truth, Death (I can only assume it's you). D3V's the one making the unjustified attacks here...like he always seems to enjoy doing.
Assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups. Yeah, it's me. I was bored as hell.

The first line in my post is more of a joke than an acusation.

Raziel said:
Worldwide
PlayStation 2 – 68,288,961
Xbox – 16,130,277
GameCube – 15,218,771
Game Boy Advance – 52,584,313
I dind't realize the Xbox was doing that badly when compared to the PS2. That makes me smile. I've kinda held a grudge against Microsoft every since they bought out the Mechwarrior series and then bastardized it.

Quote:
Xbox = 746,000
PS2 = 694,000
GCN = 350,000
GBA = 1,323,000
First of all, I'd like to say, that's a lot of units in one month. For the gamecube alone, that would be more than ten thousand units a day.

Second of all, im geussing that this isn't the "average" month for the videogame industry, either that, or the tide is shifting. I rather it be the former.

As ar as GBA sales go, im not really surprised. Those things cost almost as much as a console. Being portable has it's advantages, especially for teenagers, the majority of which seem to spend more time elsewhere than home. I've seen a lot of people take their handhelds to school.

And lets face it, electronics are reversed from everything else. Meaning that being smaller is sexier and cooler.

heheh 8---->

I just got one of them small PS2's for Christmas. Boy does it look better than the bigger one. It's no handheld, but this will save a lot of room on my desk.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Nothing is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenNothing is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Nothing

Posted 2004-12-13, 05:47 PM in reply to Nothing's post starting "Assumption is the mother of all..."
dude thats HUGE! But gona be awesome i bet!

Why is it that the Japs. get everything before us?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dar_Win enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzDar_Win enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Dar_Win

Posted 2004-12-13, 06:03 PM in reply to Dar_Win's post starting "dude thats HUGE! But gona be awesome i..."
usual gameboy lineup:

Mario
Mario kart
Warrio
Warrio Anus land
Luigi the homo pizza guy
Yoshi shit
Stupid RPgs ( in 2d which is even worse)
racing games in which the cars are shit and dont even crash
FPS that doesnt have blood, just cute creatures

seriously raziel, just accept it, nintendo will always be aimed at younger kids, if i was 8 years old i would KILL for a DS but since thats not the case I want a PSP because it is just more than a kiddy gaming syste, yes it may cost more, but thats your whole argument
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hades-Knight is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hades-Knight

Posted 2004-12-13, 07:07 PM in reply to Dar_Win's post starting "dude thats HUGE! But gona be awesome i..."
Lets see. Sony's main HQ's is in Japan, hence the reason they get everything first. They manufactuare all the consoles in Japan.

H-K summed it up nicely. The PSP has some sweet games for it.

~ KAMAHAME---Oh shit it's happening again.... ~
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzTyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Tyrannicide

Posted 2004-12-13, 07:22 PM in reply to Hades-Knight's post starting "usual gameboy lineup: Mario Mario..."
It doesn't HAVE to be mature theamed to be fun. What is it with you people and needing to play games whos only plot is to kill things.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2004-12-13, 10:51 PM in reply to Hades-Knight's post starting "usual gameboy lineup: Mario Mario..."
Hades-Knight said:
usual gameboy lineup:

Mario
Mario kart
Warrio
Warrio Anus land
Luigi the homo pizza guy
Yoshi shit
Stupid RPgs ( in 2d which is even worse)
racing games in which the cars are shit and dont even crash
FPS that doesnt have blood, just cute creatures

seriously raziel, just accept it, nintendo will always be aimed at younger kids, if i was 8 years old i would KILL for a DS but since thats not the case I want a PSP because it is just more than a kiddy gaming syste, yes it may cost more, but thats your whole argument
H-K, go to IGN and do a PS2 game search on titles rated "E". Then do one for titles rated "E" on Gamecube. There are a substantially greater number of "Kiddie" games on Playstation 2 than there are on Gamecube. So, in terms of percentages, Sony licenses just as many "kiddie" games every year as Nintendo does.

On top of that, every game you listed in that brilliant analysis of yours is guaranteed to be awesome. The WarioWare games are far too difficult for any child to overcome, the RPG selection is far too intricate or difficult for a kid to beat, and the 2D Mario Kart games are much too difficult for the likes of you.

I'm going to remind you that you're a blabbering moron now, and I want you to pay attention to it, because you practically begged me to do so.

The fact that a game doesn't contain gore, violence, profanity or sexual innuendo does not make it a bad game. The fact that you seem incapable of enjoying anything that doesn't contain those elements is just more proof that you are an insecure, self-hating, tiny-dicked floptard that can only seem to make up for his stunning lack of intellect and personality based upon how much he can bench press and how violent his videogames are. The fact that you feel the nearly constant urge to express your distaste for a company that doesn't even know you exist is just more proof of the fact that you're a hopeless dweeb with no self-esteem and barely enough brainpower to tie his shoes in the morning.

Hades, give it a fucking rest. You've been squawking the same "N1NT3ND0 1S teh K1DD13!!!1!1" bullshit for almost three years now, and it's just become tiresome at this point. It was actually cute a long time ago, because it reminded me of a four-year-old trying to act tough. Now it's just become an eyesore. Just give it a rest. We know you hate Nintendo. If constantly reiterating that point is what it takes for you to feel better about your emotional and physical shortcomings, go do it somewhere else.

From now on, if I see shit like this in any of my forums, I'm splitting it and moving it into a single thread in the Flame Forum. I'm just tired of hearing you repeat the same half-witted, antagonistic crap over, and over, and over again. Three years is far too damned long for you to go without coming up with some new material.

The End.

Last edited by Raziel; 2004-12-14 at 12:28 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2004-12-14, 07:33 PM in reply to Raziel's post starting "H-K, go to IGN and do a PS2 game search..."
Actually I used to love nintendo.....specially Zelda, but thats about all nintendo has to offer.

I wouldn't want to buy a system in which all games that come out are the same shit over and over, and when they are done releasing the new version of every fucking game they go like "Wanna be teh harcore yo? THEN PLAY ATARI 2600 GAME SIN YOUR NINTENDO DS, FUCK YEAH!" and proceed to make games thatw e all played when we were like 5.

Im done with this thread, you don't want to accept the fact that even though Nintendo does have the same lineup as Sony and Microsoft for their consoles, only nintendo will keep making kiddie games, be it for their DS, GBA or Console.

Why do you think Gamecube is the suckiest of the consoles?

Game systems are just as good as the games created for them.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hades-Knight is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hades-Knight

Posted 2004-12-14, 10:48 PM in reply to Hades-Knight's post starting "Actually I used to love..."
There are no "facts" to accept, Hades. You show me a fucking child that can beat Super Mario Sunshine, and I'll show you a kid with gaming skills equivalent to that of an adult.

Your "kiddie" arguments mean precisely dick. You just can't be bothered to play a game that contains no vulgarity or gore because you don't want your weightlifting streetracer friends mocking the shit out of you for it. You rag on Nintendo not because of the quality of the games, but because it's the "cool" thing to do nowadays. You're pathetic.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel