Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Question Are we in control of our Decisions?
Posted 2009-05-20, 08:45 AM
BORKED

I've always wanted to create a topic about this subject, but have never gotten around to this.

In this presentaion there is a great point of view put on and really makes you question how preception works. It's amazing, just watch the video.

/discuss

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-05-20, 08:51 AM in reply to D3V's post "Are we in control of our Decisions?"
I'll watch the video when I get home later.

Technically, that question kinda doesn't work. It is the nature of decisions that, by calling them decisions, you're declaring that you are consciously deciding. If our "decisions" weren't controlled by us, they wouldn't be "decisions."

However, I know what the question means, and I'd say it's a good question that I have no answer to.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-05-20, 08:54 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I'll watch the video when I get home..."
I'm in the same boat as you.

The question does have an automatic spin on it, but it does have an actual meaning. The video dwells more into the perception of what we think is there, and how it can be changed, it really is quite remarkable.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-05-20, 08:56 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "I'm in the same boat as you. The..."
I'd say my initial thought is yes, we are in control of our actions, but I still can't say with much certainty.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-05-20, 09:01 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I'd say my initial thought is yes, we..."
Would it matter if we were in 'control' of our actions or not? You can't go back in time and redo something. As long as you feel like you are in control, that is all that should matter. I personally believe that every possible scenario in our universe in played out in a branching many worlds quantum state and therefor we don't control our actions. It just has to happen.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-05-20, 09:11 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "Would it matter if we were in 'control'..."
Sum Yung Guy said: [Goto]
I personally believe that every possible scenario in our universe in played out in a branching many worlds quantum state and therefor we don't control our actions. It just has to happen.
I agree but I also disagree. I agree about your theory that the universe plays out in many ways. My theory right now regarding fate is that it exists, but only due to technicality. My theory is that every time a decision is made, a branch is formed and you take whichever path your decision takes you on. In an alternate reality, you made a different decision and took a different path. So basically, what this ends up meaning is that every possible outcome is already determined.

So basically, fate DOES exist, but it doesn't necessarily imply lack of free will. What CAN happen to you is already determined, and based on your decisions, what WILL happen is revealed.

That's my theory anyway.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-05-20, 09:14 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I agree but I also disagree. I agree..."
Deep yo. Im gonna take a nap and reflect on this shit niqqa.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-05-20, 10:27 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "Would it matter if we were in 'control'..."
I personally believe that every possible scenario in our universe in played out in a branching many worlds quantum state and therefor we don't control our actions. It just has to happen.
The whole quantum branching thing is an interesting theory, but what about light? Isn't the standing theory that individual photons behave as if they were part of a wave because they are interacting with photons from quantum branches where they take all possible paths? If those quantum branches continue to exist as you suggest, shouldn't the behavior of light appear to be completely random due to interaction with universes with vastly different current states?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2009-05-20, 10:33 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "The whole quantum branching thing is an..."
Or it is completely 'random' already, but because it is all we have known it seems normal. Actually though I see what your getting at WetWired. Let me dwell on those thoughts with another nap.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-05-20, 10:38 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "Or it is completely 'random' already,..."
My theory came to me through my drug use, primarily salvia. I percieved time in such a way.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-05-20, 10:50 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "My theory came to me through my drug..."
I think that we can't let our conscious mind take 100% of the credit for our decisions. They are underlying biological imperatives that strongly influence our behavior. Sex, hunger, thirst, and all kinds of other things make our decisions complicated. However, all that aside, I think they're ours to make.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2009-05-20, 11:30 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "I think that we can't let our conscious..."
Quote:
So basically, fate DOES exist, but it doesn't necessarily imply lack of free will. What CAN happen to you is already determined, and based on your decisions, what WILL happen is revealed.
I agree with you on this. Basically what I am seeing you say is that there is already an infinte amount of possibilities that can happen from previous scenarios that have already taken place, and if you go with option A or option B the C will always be the same because it is following the possibilities of things that could happen, because of what has already happened. And that we can only be in control of certain situations, but for the most part every thing in our lives is predetermined from the course of evolution/choices/variables etc.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2009-05-20, 11:38 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "I agree with you on this. Basically..."
I think you might be misunderstanding or overcomplicating, or I might be misunderstanding you.

Basically, if you're making a decision between A and B, the outcome of A will always be the same, and the outcome of B will always be the same, but the outcomes of A and B are not the same, if that makes since. You're basically choosing outcomes that you don't know. Apply this to every decision or occurance ever to take place. You get an infinitely large number of possibilities, and consequently an infinitely large number of alternate realities.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-05-20, 11:48 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I think you might be misunderstanding..."
That was my point, just mine was overcomplicated.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2009-05-20, 12:10 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "That was my point, just mine was..."
However still predetermined. I had to choose choice A because my other self split off to choose choice B. And he had to choose choice B because I choose choice A. Wtf are we debating again? lol

Ahh I see 'Are we in control of our Decisions?'
I think the words we are using do not accuratly represent what we are debating. Desicions... choices... chance... Sure you do decide to do things on your own, and forge your own path, just as much as a meteor chooses to fly through space and hit another chunk of matter. Just remember, we are all chemical reactions, and we all follow the laws of physics. But it seems that we have evolved to the point that we are so great and powerful that we can defy the laws of physics. But damn does it feel good to feel like you are in control doesn't it? Let's just continue that visage for now.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-05-20, 12:41 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "However still predetermined. I had to..."
However still predetermined. I had to choose choice A because my other self split off to choose choice B. And he had to choose choice B because I choose choice A. Wtf are we debating again? lol

Ahh I see 'Are we in control of our Decisions?'
I think the words we are using do not accuratly represent what we are debating. Desicions... choices... chance... Sure you do decide to do things on your own, and forge your own path, just as much as a meteor chooses to fly through space and hit another chunk of matter. Just remember, we are all chemical reactions, and we all follow the laws of physics. But it seems that we have evolved to the point that we are so great and powerful that we can defy the laws of physics. But damn does it feel good to feel like you are in control doesn't it? Let's just continue that visage for now.
wut ?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-05-20, 02:33 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "wut ?"
It says How can we have control of our decisions if we are just particles of matter following the NON-NEGOTIABLE laws of physics? The only way we possible could is if their is a divine being who created us. You're not saying your a creationist now are you?

So if we are particles of matter following the laws of physics why are we constantly evolving and becoming ever more complex? Because every possibility of the universe has to happen in order for existence (reality) to be complete.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-05-20, 08:19 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "It says How can we have control of our..."
So basicly, you're saying that the only way that we can be in control of our actions is if we have souls, right? An essense that exists outside the laws of physics, but is bound to a particular body and is able to influence it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2009-05-22, 07:54 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "So basicly, you're saying that the only..."
WetWired said: [Goto]
So basicly, you're saying that the only way that we can be in control of our actions is if we have souls, right? An essense that exists outside the laws of physics, but is bound to a particular body and is able to influence it.
That's what I was taking from it as well.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V