Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Skyrim > Oblivion > Morrowind
Posted 2012-04-20, 01:39 PM
Discuss.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-04-20, 01:40 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "Skyrim > Oblivion > Morrowind"
I only played morrowind and skyrim and skyrim was way way way better. When I played morrowind, it was one of the first xbox games I owned and it just didn't do it for me. If I remember the early story was dumb and hard to follow and it was just annoying.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2012-04-20, 01:42 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "Skyrim > Oblivion > Morrowind"
!King_Amazon! said: [Goto]
Discuss.

I think your inequality signs are pointing the wrong way.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2012-04-20, 01:46 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "I think your inequality signs are..."
Gonna give reasons or just state an opinion without any backing information?
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2012-04-20, 02:03 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "Gonna give reasons or just state an..."
Asamin said: [Goto]
Gonna give reasons or just state an opinion without any backing information?

One's gains in graphics occasionally seems to correlate with a price in memorability. Not that nostalgia is really what it used to be.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2012-04-20, 02:20 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "One's gains in graphics occasionally..."
My "nostalgia" of Morrowind was a thing jumping on my head and never being able to find where i'm going.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2012-04-20, 02:35 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "My "nostalgia" of Morrowind was a thing..."
Morrowind was a terrible game as far as noob friendliness goes. It was balanced terribly, the quests were confusing, etc. I enjoyed it for a while but never enough to finish it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-04-20, 02:39 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Morrowind was a terrible game as far as..."
I was a complete noob and hated it. Skyrim worked for me though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2012-04-20, 09:02 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "Skyrim > Oblivion > Morrowind"
Skyrim>Morrowind>Oblivion

Morrowind's imbalance made it great. They took out a lot of fun and useful things for later games because they imbalanced the game. Thing is, why does it need to be balanced? It's single player, and you can always just level up if you're having a hard time. Also, in Morrowind, you felt like you earned your place in the world. Especially in Skyrim, it feels like you stumble into several positions of leadership.

Skyrim > Morrowind only because of the immersiveness of the world and because Dragons >> Cliff racers.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2012-04-21, 05:25 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Skyrim>Morrowind>Oblivion ..."
Wasn't there a dragon in Morrowind? I mean, why would I remember, it was forever ago.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2012-04-21, 12:30 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Morrowind was a terrible game as far as..."
Morrowind could be beaten in a good 10 minutes if you knew how to do it.
Only thing I miss from Oblivion was acrobatics.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2012-04-21, 12:30 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "Wasn't there a dragon in Morrowind? I..."
Nope, no dragon.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2012-04-21, 12:33 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "Wasn't there a dragon in Morrowind? I..."
As far as I know, Skyrim is terribly unbalanced as well.
Going pure melee is eons better than pure magic.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2012-04-21, 12:33 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Morrowind could be beaten in a good 10..."
No, Morrowind cannot be beaten in 10 minutes without using console commands. It takes longer than 10 minutes just to get to the end boss, and first you need Wraithguard, Sunder, and Keening. You also need to have enough health to not instantly die when you equip Wraithguard, and a way to heal between the damage it inflicts (because obviously, you don't want to take the time to complete the quest line so that it doesn't deal you damage).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2012-04-21, 03:31 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "As far as I know, Skyrim is terribly..."
Skurai said: [Goto]
As far as I know, Skyrim is terribly unbalanced as well.
Going pure melee is eons better than pure magic.
I was referring to the fact that the monsters/dungeons were not properly balanced. I remember doing the main quest line and having absolutely no problem until I got to a dungeon where I couldn't kill a single person, or even come close. It literally went from piece of cake to hardcore from one quest to the next.

Skyrim is nice enough to balance things around your level at the time you load them. Of course, sometimes this still means you go into a dungeon and can't kill anything, but the imbalance isn't nearly as bad as Morrowind.

The primary reason Skyrim>Oblivion is the leveling system. They may have dumbed it down a bit (I don't like that they got rid of acrobatics) but it's a lot less forgiving for noobs. Oblivion and Morrowind basically punish you for not laying out exactly when and where and how you level up certain skill types, because if you do it wrong you don't get the large bonuses you would otherwise get, and your character becomes very underpowered. I couldn't stand the old leveling system.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-04-21, 06:39 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I was referring to the fact that the..."
I found Skyrim's leveling quite unforgiving also, except that it's worse, because it's a treadmill in Skyrim. To me, it makes sense that there would be dungeons you can't handle until you level up. Also, that way you have to level up before you become gain leadership roles, etc.

I really hate how they dumbed down the enchanting system and killed the spellcrafting system. To be sure, they should have allowed you to create low magnitude constant effect enchantments from Morrowind, but I miss creative enchantments and spells. I want to make my AOE fire+weakness to fire+paralysis spell
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2012-04-22, 09:21 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "No, Morrowind cannot be beaten in 10..."
WetWired said: [Goto]
No, Morrowind cannot be beaten in 10 minutes without using console commands. It takes longer than 10 minutes just to get to the end boss, and first you need Wraithguard, Sunder, and Keening. You also need to have enough health to not instantly die when you equip Wraithguard, and a way to heal between the damage it inflicts (because obviously, you don't want to take the time to complete the quest line so that it doesn't deal you damage).
No, no, it has something to do with scrolls of jumping or some business, I'll ask my buddy Josh, he knows how to do it. Or maybe it's Oblivion. Either way.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2012-04-22, 12:34 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "No, no, it has something to do with..."
Hmm. You could probably use scrolls of jumping to quickly get to the end area, but that doesn't change the fact that you need at least sunder and keening in order to beat the end boss, and keening will kill you before you can finish it unless you invest time in one direction or another to prevent it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2012-04-22, 09:07 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Hmm. You could probably use scrolls of..."
There you go
BORKED

Last edited by Asamin; 2012-04-22 at 09:16 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2012-04-22, 11:26 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "There you go m1IRxTN-_kU"
The video quality is so crap that I can't tell how he deals with key issues such as getting outside instantly after retreiving sunder and not dying when equiping Keening. TBH, I hadn't considered killing merchants to prepare though; interesting tactic, especially with the Almsivi Intervention escape route.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired